BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2024, 08:40 AM   #1
NYNICX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Unhappy Steering Wheel Rattle VIDEO

So I have had this on and off again rattle in my steering wheel.
I’m out of coverage, of course.
Dealership checked it out on the house - which meant taking the steering wheel off. They said the rattle was a sticker that would loosen up after driving for a bit & make the noise, which they removed allegedly.

Guess what - stupid rattle is back & drives me up a wall when driving.

I would post a video (me recording the sound as a video on my phone, iPhone) - but I cannot seem to get it to load (says invalid file)

How do I load a video?

Any guesses what the issue could be?

FWIW - 2018 X5 M sport package / executive package / all the bells and whistles

& no it’s not the same sound as the lane departure warning where the wheel vibrates

Last edited by NYNICX5; 02-06-2024 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #2
NYNICX5
Rep

Video (I hope)

https://youtube.com/shorts/wpeKCv2Gz...cH9VvoxBVnkvbr
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Do you hear when the steering wheel is unloaded (you don't hold it firmly and the car is just rolling)?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:20 PM   #4
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Do you hear when the steering wheel is unloaded (you don't hold it firmly and the car is just rolling)?
Yes - while it has been a brief moment (taking hands off of steering wheel) it still continues. It’ll start and stop sporadically - it’s like nails on a chalkboard - it’s driving me crazy… to the point that sometimes I want to get rid of it. Never have seen this in any of the others - 3 / 5 / 7 or X3

I’m at a loss
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:15 PM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I had kind of similar problem. In my case it would only rattle when it was cold and without any load on the steering wheel, best way to replicate was a cold morning start without touching steering wheel. You can check my videos of my problem in this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1576879
After multiple trips to the dealership ( car was still CPO) I end asking their foreman to go for a test drive with me, since they tried to convince me its plastic panel behind the steering wheel and it is "normal". He took the plastic off and sound was still present, so they took car back and after another week of investigating they discovered that steering column was replaced while car was leased ( I am second owner, got it as BMW CPO) due to the ceased motor (common problem for F15) and bolts were not properly torqued. They tied them up and the rattle was gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:27 PM   #6
NYNICX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Well, I had kind of similar problem. In my case it would only rattle when it was cold and without any load on the steering wheel, best way to replicate was a cold morning start without touching steering wheel. You can check my videos of my problem in this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1576879
After multiple trips to the dealership ( car was still CPO) I end asking their foreman to go for a test drive with me, since they tried to convince me its plastic panel behind the steering wheel and it is "normal". He took the plastic off and sound was still present, so they took car back and after another week of investigating they discovered that steering column was replaced while car was leased ( I am second owner, got it as BMW CPO) due to the ceased motor (common problem for F15) and bolts were not properly torqued. They tied them up and the rattle was gone.
Mine sounds very similar - just not at bad. I’d be curious now when it happens, if I press where u did, if that stops it.
I bought mine CPO as well, but it is now out of warranty. When the rattle starts I will try pushing on the steering column to see if that quiets - if it does, I will demand to talk to a foreman. I’m not always easy to deal with & will not be walked all over at the dealership. My mom has been a loyal customer to them for over 20 years - they need to correct this as I have continuously brought this up (complained about it) I even showed my SA there, who used to work in the shop there repairing cars - said he couldn’t hear a rattle from the video… I almost fell over.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:34 PM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Putting weight of my hands or pressing on the steering column, turning wheel slightly to keep it under load would remove this sound and it did progress over time, when it originally started I also though it was just a plastic rattle. Trust me it took a while to convince dealership there is a problem and its not just plastic rattle.
Appreciate 0