BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
BimmerX5kid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbake View Post
The Climate Control is very ?smart?. The compressor will run sometimes even with the green light turned off, in order to clear excess moisture from the system. In winter though, when the temp is below about 35F, it will not run at all, even with the green light on. In Eco-Pro, the compressor will work less....depending on the inside/outside temperature differentiation. If you?re concerned about fuel consumption, use the Eco-Pro setting. Makes everything work more conservatively. But less fun to drive in that setting.
What does "work less" mean? The pulleys turn slower? Still not buying it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #24
BimmerX5kid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2021 X3

I'll buy into that if it is 40 degrees outside and the green light is on that that the AC pump will not come on. That's obvious. My OP was meant for people that will keep it on auto but run a range of thermostat settings from 62 to 75 and still keep the green light on. They toggle the thermostat setting instead off switching the AC off ever

If people wanna run that way fine. But if it's 95 degrees out and the stat is set to 62 the AF will be on and let's call it 100% cold 0% warm air mix out of the vents. When it's 80 out and the stat is set to 70 let's call it 70% cold air 30% warm in the mix. Then we get to 77 degrees out and the stat is set to 70 maybe it's 50/50 mix or less now. But if guys really think the compressor is doing less drag on the performance as the temp is toggled from 71 to 75 cmon. I'd rrathwr just turn the green light off for that next 5 degrees (notwithstanding all the prior posts about not caring about fuel and HP etc)

Last edited by BimmerX5kid; 10-01-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #25
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Well...Sorry so many people upset you on their AC usage. But I think when you post 3x in a row with no one else posting in between then the point is moot and has lost interest.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

I think you should read up on how HVAC systems work. The compressor is only one part of it.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #27
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerX5kid View Post
Quote:
The Climate Control is very ?smart?. The compressor will run sometimes even with the green light turned off, in order to clear excess moisture from the system. In winter though, when the temp is below about 35F, it will not run at all, even with the green light on. In Eco-Pro, the compressor will work less....depending on the inside/outside temperature differentiation. If you?re concerned about fuel consumption, use the Eco-Pro setting. Makes everything work more conservatively. But less fun to drive in that setting.
Quote:
Quote:
It cycles the compressor off periodically.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003945.00
      10-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #28
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It cycles the compressor off periodically.
This is my wrap on the subject. The system is automatic and designed to keep you comfortable while driving. You?ve got two overall choices. Run the Climate Control in the car by pushing ?auto? and setting your desired target temp. Or turn the whole thing off and open the windows. Opening the windows at higher speeds typically increases wind drag to the point that your fuel mileage will not be noticeably better than running closed up with the AC on. Physics.
Appreciate 0