11-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
LED Headlights pointing down?

I was doing some basic coding on the Bimmercode app the other week and I've noticed that my headlights are not illuminating as far forwards as they used to. They're now lighting up ~20-30ft in front of the vehicle and it's killing my night driving. It's been more noticeable during my commute since daylight savings ended.

Is there anything I may have screwed up while coding with Bimmercode? I didn't touch anything in expert mode..
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
what did you code?
do you see them move when you turn on the car in mornings?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
If you did VLD, it will point down and wide for slower driving.
      11-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
what did you code?
do you see them move when you turn on the car in mornings?
Yes, they go through the initial startup movements like they always have. And they still move left/right with the steering wheel.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I was looking intro VLD but did not code it. At least I don't think I did? I am second guessing myself at this point... Regardless, the light beam they are putting out just seems to be unacceptably low

Last edited by BimmerTy; 11-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
frenchie1013
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I was looking intro VLD but did not code it. At least I don't think I did? I am second guessing myself at this point... Regardless, the light beam they are putting out just seems to be unacceptably low
I coded mine for VLD and they raise up at 30mph I think and then again around 70mph. If you turn your fog lights on however they go back to normal as I can see the drivers side beam move inward in my driveway

2014 X5 50i
BMS stage 1, Dinan intake, F85 Knee Bolsters
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Easy way to tell:

Start the vehicle.
Turn on the headlights, low beam only.
Now toggle back and forth between low and high beams and observe the left headlight beam. Did it move to the right with the high beams on and then to the left with low beams? If so, you have VLD.

You can also observe the beam moving when you toggle the fog lights on and off, or watch the left beam move towards center at 30mph. All of these are VLD movements.
      11-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Easy way to tell:

Start the vehicle.
Now toggle back and forth between low and high beams and observe the left headlight beam. Did it move to the right with the high beams on and then to the left with low beams? If so, you have VLD.

You can also observe the beam moving when you toggle the fog lights on and off, or watch the left beam move towards center at 30mph. All of these are VLD movements.
The beam isn't moving when I toggle on/off the high beams or fog lights. So I'm assuming the VLD is not activated. Something is definitely not right- my Yukon Denali and Mercedes sedan both light up at least 3 times more of the road the the X5 right now.. All LED bulbs are working too.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Easy way to tell:

Start the vehicle.

I'm not sure this is right. I definitely didn't code VLD but my left headlight is moving left/right when I toggle between high and low beams.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

If the headlight aim is too low, you can manually adjust the aim with a phillips screw driver. It's the white plastic screw on top of the light on each each side. You can raise the right beam a bit higher than the left beam so that you can see the traffic signs and things on the right side of the road more. Dont raise the left beam too much or you will get flashed by people going opposite direction as this left beam will blind them.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntp View Post
If the headlight aim is too low, you can manually adjust the aim with a phillips screw driver. It's the white plastic screw on top of the light on each each side. You can raise the right beam a bit higher than the left beam so that you can see the traffic signs and things on the right side of the road more. Dont raise the left beam too much or you will get flashed by people going opposite direction as this left beam will blind them.
But I love being flashed!

But on a serious note - thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out tonight
Appreciate 0