BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

Chassis Function Restricted Error Code

So I got this message pop up today - Chassis Function Restricted. I am unable to switch through the drive modes.

From what I read it typically has to do with some type of sensor with the front springs. I did have my springs changed out about 3 weeks ago to the ACS kit. I haven't had any issues for over a 1000 miles and now it just popped up.

However, I checked my BimmerLink App and it is throwing code FF1800, but there is no description for the code other than it is under an engine issue.

Anyone experience this? Did you have to go to the dealer to have it cleared? Anyone get this after a suspension drop?

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

If you have EDC/DDC/VDC, check the connectors and wires.
Maybe the connectors came loose or wires got cut.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
If you have EDC/DDC/VDC, check the connectors and wires.
Maybe the connectors came loose or wires got cut.
Thanks for the response Ben. Is there 1 sensor per strut in the front and rear or are there additional sensors to check?

I've seen some posts about checking the accelerometer sensor on other model forums. Are these the same sensors your are referring to?

Thanks,

Joe.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
Thanks for the response Ben. Is there 1 sensor per strut in the front and rear or are there additional sensors to check?

I've seen some posts about checking the accelerometer sensor on other model forums. Are these the same sensors your are referring to?

Thanks,

Joe.
I don't remember which side have 2 connector, but either left or right in the front and rear will have 2 connectors, while the opposite side will have only 1.
Check on those connectors.
Those connectors connected to the accelerometer.
1 sensor per strut.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember which side have 2 connector, but either left or right in the front and rear will have 2 connectors, while the opposite side will have only 1.
Check on those connectors.
Those connectors connected to the accelerometer.
1 sensor per strut.
Hey Ben,

I am going to pull the tires this weekend and check the sensors to make sure everything is plugged in and tight and nothing had been cut.

Should I disconnect the batter before unplugging any of them?

Here is an image of some of the errors I pulled on BimmerLink that appears to deal with the driving dynamics. Is there any way to pinpoint with sensor or at least wheel location that is causing the error. Does anything stand out to you based upon these codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Ben,

I am going to pull the tires this weekend and check the sensors to make sure everything is plugged in and tight and nothing had been cut.

Should I disconnect the batter before unplugging any of them?

Here is an image of some of the errors I pulled on BimmerLink that appears to deal with the driving dynamics. Is there any way to pinpoint with sensor or at least wheel location that is causing the error. Does anything stand out to you based upon these codes?
No need to disconnect the battery, just make sure the car is off.

Also, your picture not showing up.
Why don't you email me, bchen@rgsport.com
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your responses on this Ben. I took off all the wheel today and found the culprit. Lesson learned. Not a good idea to drive without the exhaust tips on. Have them out being re powder coated now as the first time they were coated, they didn’t sandblast them enough and they peeled in a small section.

Anyways since they were off, all the heat coming straight out of the muffler melted one of the rear wires that controls the ECD. Patched the wires up and as good as new.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      11-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your responses on this Ben. I took off all the wheel today and found the culprit. Lesson learned. Not a good idea to drive without the exhaust tips on. Have them out being re powder coated now as the first time they were coated, they didn’t sandblast them enough and they peeled in a small section.

Anyways since they were off, all the heat coming straight out of the muffler melted one of the rear wires that controls the ECD. Patched the wires up and as good as new.
Oh, crap.
Lucky you didn't melt the whole car.
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      11-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh, crap.
Lucky you didn't melt the whole car.
Damn lucky. The heat also got to my painted rear reflectors I bought from you. Tabs warped and cracked so they were ready to fall out. I did a lil JB Weld work on the tabs to see if I could get them back into place last night. See if it works. If not I will be in the market for some new ones from you.

Luckily the wires weren't too bad that they just needed separated and reinsulated. A lil tape and good as new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Castro13
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Damn lucky. The heat also got to my painted rear reflectors I bought from you. Tabs warped and cracked so they were ready to fall out. I did a lil JB Weld work on the tabs to see if I could get them back into place last night. See if it works. If not I will be in the market for some new ones from you.

Luckily the wires weren't too bad that they just needed separated and reinsulated. A lil tape and good as new.

Question, where are these sensors located? One on each side behind air strut?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro13 View Post
Question, where are these sensors located? One on each side behind air strut?
Yes, if you take the wheel off and look behind the strut.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d-MS & 2018 BMW X3 30i

Just an FYI to anyone finding this thread in the future; I got this same warning after my recent wheel/tire changeover from winter to summers, and it went away after a few drive cycles. Probably had something to do with the way they jacked the vehicle up. No cause for alarm I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #13
razrsharp
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 Diesel M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdave View Post
Just an FYI to anyone finding this thread in the future; I got this same warning after my recent wheel/tire changeover from winter to summers, and it went away after a few drive cycles. Probably had something to do with the way they jacked the vehicle up. No cause for alarm I think.
Th aks for posting this! I just did my summers today and saw the warning.
Scared the crap out of me as when I bought my x5 (used) I had the same problem, although that time it was actually due to the speed sensor wire being broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
kyratz
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, F15 X5 35i, E46M3

seeking help

have a new to me 2017 xdrive 35i F15 (with 100k kms mileage)and have been getting this fault intermittently, rear shocks were leaking so got them replaced ($3k!) - since then i have had a new issue - traction control coming on aggressively at moderate speeds and loads but only when turning to the left and when the side of the car loads up under cornering. the traction control intervention is very abrupt and applies the brakes very aggressively.

SO... advice from the tech was to change the front struts too (another $2k!) - but the car displays the same issues and there are no other codes according to the tech.

after forum research i found a post suggesting to update the software and reflash the vertical accelerometers - so we did that - and no change.

The tech is now sayin i need to replace all 4 accelerometers at a cost of aanother $3k - i am hesitant to say the least -

can any of you smart and experienced folks help give me any clues as to any other fault finding i can do rather than just keep firing the parts cannon st this car?

thanks
Appreciate 0