03-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #23
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
I think u r miss understanding the function of the feature u circled in red. That function only kicks in IF u managed to unlock the doors and not open anything, then the car will relock itself. ...this feature should not be the reason for the person above u locking her keys inside, its something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7
It is an obscure feature that some use to make sure the car is locked if they unlock the door but never open it…the door will then relock.
As you can see in the bolded text in both of our quotes above...we essentially wrote the same thing...so we apparently share the same understanding of what is written in the owners manual.

What you may have not picked up from my post is...I'm allowing for an electronic glitch. There are multiple posts across the BMW forums where many of the new electronic features that are supposed to work in a certain way...have not performed exactly as they are described in the owners manual.

For example, if you have comfort access...we assume that you can't lock the remote inside the car...but there are many cases where it has unfortunately happened. Sometimes the doors will UNLOCK as designed...but if for some reason the remote is buried inside a bag or purse inside the vehicle (like forum member ShahiniBmw who brought this thread back)...the signal from the remote may not communicate properly with the antennas inside the car.

I was just suggesting to check if this is how it is set in their iDrive...and to turn it off in case it could have been an electrical glitch. Again, I hopefully trust that if I were to accidentally leave my remote inside the car and then press the CA ridges on the door handle as I exited the vehicle...that the system would operate as designed and NOT lock. But I don't tempt fate and ALWAYS double check that the remote is on my person when I go to lock my vehicles from outside the vehicle...especially when loading things in the trunk or cargo area. I NEVER lay my keys down inside because it is so easy to forget and slam the trunk or tailgate.

I deactivated the auto lock if the door isn't opened...because it could lead to locking myself out of the car at an inopportune moment...because it is an electronic setting for auto locking where I no longer have control or access to unlock if there is a glitch.

I have another scenario with my 2006 e53 X5 that may shed light on how I look at the possibility/probability of vehicle LOCK-OUT. I don't drive it much but I do keep it locked. But I DON'T use the remote to lock it because that DOUBLE LOCKS that vehicle and initiates the DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system). I close the driver's door then I go through one of the passenger doors and use the central lock/unlock button on the center console. This only single locks the e53 X5 which means if the battery was to die while it is locked...I don't have to worry about issues that can arise trying to unlock a BMW that is in double-lock...where the exterior & interior door handles are deactivated.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 04:37 PM   #24
Mika75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

Angry It happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
I don't think the doors will lock if the key Fob is I'm the actual car. They will remain open

I just locked my keys, wallet and phone in the car, a 2013 X5. the key was in my bag, placed it on the passenger side, the car was unlocked when I placed it and when I shut the door it clicked. maybe the battery died?
Appreciate 0