BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #199
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I started a separate thread discussing how to retrofit 4G capabiity / retain BMW Connected Drive services for F15 vehicle determined by BMW as "not eligible". It's not a simple process but a process does exist.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1832910
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #200
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

I got another 3G car and connected drive support refused to give me RTTI for free((( despite they did it for two other my cars. One of them was sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #201
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, is it possible to buy 4G ATM, probably from BMW, but keep a regular NBT, not evo?

I see several options for ATM modules on eBay, ~$200-$300. What are pros and cons for those?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #202
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdesai0326 View Post
Hey guys sorry I didn't post this here

EDIT: okay guys so I looked into this further and verified that the F15 will not be eligible for the retrofit of any sort. This was verified through a warranty administrator which contacted BMW NA to verify for me.
Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up I apologize for the incorrect information
This was very informative, thanx for posting! Here's my take on this situation:

[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Just for clarification, only 2016+ model year (03/2015+ for the 2 Series) vehicles are capable and eligible for this free 4G LTE upgrade. Absolutely no already 3G telematics system (vehicle built date 06/2015 and below) is capable nor is eligible for this hardware revision.[/COLOR]

This offer not really an upgrade, per se, as both the older and newer telematics units run on the same 4G LTE connection.

It's just that AT&T Wireless, the one and only data carrier BMW utilizes for its US telemetry operations, is killing off the original circa 2007 LTE standard that relay solely on circuit switching for voice calls, which is commonly known as "VoIP" or Voice Over Internet Protocol.

After 02/2022, AT&T will then only support calls to be packet switched via a system called VoLTE; which is sending of voice data through cellular data such as 4G LTE. VoLTE will become AT&T's standardize system used for transferring voice calls by using the LTE connection.

Since the earlier BMW 4G LTE telematics radios uses the now retiring VoIP technology for emergency calls, BMW is now offering a revised telematics system which would now support VoLTE or LTE-A calls, thus, emergency calls would remain functional, even after the obsolete "VoIP" technology for voice communication is officially sunset by AT&T.

If one already has a 2016+ vehicle with a early 4G LTE (VoIP) radio and chooses not to take advantage of this VoLTE/LTE-A upgrade offer, most of the regular ConnectionDrive will still remain active as normal, with the exception of the emergency SOS calling, which would be the only feature no longer supported.

https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mob...-shut-down-3g/
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #203
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdesai0326 View Post
Hey guys sorry I didn't post this here

EDIT: okay guys so I looked into this further and verified that the F15 will not be eligible for the retrofit of any sort. This was verified through a warranty administrator which contacted BMW NA to verify for me.
Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up I apologize for the incorrect information
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Just for clarification, only 2016+ model year (03/2015+ for the 2 Series) vehicles are capable and eligible for this free 4G LTE upgrade. Absolutely no already 3G telematics system (vehicle built date 06/2015 and below) is capable nor is eligible for this hardware revision.[/COLOR]

This offer not really an upgrade, per se, as both the older and newer telematics units run on the same 4G LTE connection.

It's just that AT&T Wireless, the one and only data carrier BMW utilizes for its US telemetry operations, is killing off the original circa 2007 LTE standard that relay solely on circuit switching for voice calls, which is commonly known as "VoIP" or Voice Over Internet Protocol.

After 02/2022, AT&T will then only support calls to be packet switched via a system called VoLTE; which is sending of voice data through cellular data such as 4G LTE. VoLTE will become AT&T's standardize system used for transferring voice calls by using the LTE connection.

Since the earlier BMW 4G LTE telematics radios uses the now retiring VoIP technology for emergency calls, BMW is now offering a revised telematics system which would now support VoLTE or LTE-A calls, thus, emergency calls would remain functional, even after the obsolete "VoIP" technology for voice communication is officially sunset by AT&T.

If one already has a 2016+ vehicle with a early 4G LTE (VoIP) radio and chooses not to take advantage of this VoLTE/LTE-A upgrade offer, most of the regular ConnectionDrive will still remain active as normal, with the exception of the emergency SOS calling, which would be the only feature no longer supported.

https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mob...-shut-down-3g/[/QUOTE]
Does BMW really care about IMEI, there are a lot of those ATM modules on eBay for $200-300. What if I buy and install it in my car?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #204
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Kolianovskyi, about ATM modules on eBay ... worth reading this post first.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1756438
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #205
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Quote:
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no, to simplify my answer; any vehicle running a current 3G connection cannot just be upgraded to 4G LTE without first changing the entire hard drive to at least iDrive 4 EVO and above.

This upgrade BMW is offering is only applicable to vehicles which are already running an earlier version 4G LTE.

So, think of this upgrade as like swapping the internet modem in your home for a more faster unit, however, it does not change your home computer's overall operation which it is actually capable of - or its lack thereof.

TL: DR Current iDrive 3G owners are unfortunately SOL when it comes to this fixing this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #206
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Dropped my '15 off at the dealer this morning to do the allegedly possible upgrade. After having asked them twice before to confirm this was possible, and them saying yes, the service advisor taking my car in pointed out that it says its not possible in my warranty notes. But will have the shop foreman check it out, I'm not having high hopes now

Edit: That didnt take long. They called me and told me whoever i talked to was flat out wrong in telling me that this was doable. So, oh well.

Last edited by Xolinlevh; 07-07-2021 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #207
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, this became pretty clear.

$300 for Android mmi box and CarPlay on a display, traffic and navigation. HUD is useless then. No emergency calls. No service requirements. No stolen car being recovered.

OR

$750 ATM 4G + $1500 NBT evo and a display + paid traffic information.

If I go with a second option I will buy a cracked lifetime code for CarPlay, hope that is not only for full screen but for a service itself as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #208
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the back and forth feedback on the thread. This thread was more to figure out the issue and get a resolution from BMW… and we all know where we sit at now. I do believe this thread to be dead.

Any equipment stuff, parts, retrofit should just go ahead and please post at "cfm56d7b"s thread named…

"3G Shutdown: Parts, Procedures, and Shops willing to try the retrofit"

That way people are not looking at two separate threads for possible solutions and ways forward on this. Great group of guys here providing answers and feedback! This is what the community is all about 🤙🏽
Appreciate 1
richf8079.00
      07-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #209
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
Dropped my '15 off at the dealer this morning to do the allegedly possible upgrade. After having asked them twice before to confirm this was possible, and them saying yes, the service advisor taking my car in pointed out that it says its not possible in my warranty notes. But will have the shop foreman check it out, I'm not having high hopes now

Edit: That didnt take long. They called me and told me whoever i talked to was flat out wrong in telling me that this was doable. So, oh well.
You're literally the only person on planet earth with a 2015 model year vehicle, non "EVO" 3G iDrive system, whom is claiming that their vehicle could be upgraded from 3G to 4G, of which I know is factually impossible without actually upgrading the iDrive hardware, containing a different 4G chipset.

3G & 4G are two totally different technologies. 4G network depend on a completely different hardware from that of 3G, it's not only the software or telematics modem, which is the only two things BMW is offering to change with this free upgrade.

However, who am I to doubt easily verifiable facts. So, congratulations, I guess 🤷🏻

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #210
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
You're literally the only person on planet earth with a 2015 model year vehicle, non "EVO" 3G iDrive system, whom is claiming that their vehicle could be upgraded from 3G to 4G, of which I know is factually impossible without actually upgrading the iDrive hardware, containing a different 4G chipset.

3G & 4G are two totally different technologies. 4G network depend on a completely different hardware from that of 3G, it's not only the software or telematics modem, which is the only two things BMW is offering to change with this free upgrade.

However, who am I to doubt easily verifiable facts. So, congratulations, I guess 🤷🏻

Since you clearly didn't read my posts I'll summarize for you, I never claimed I had any unique car or 'knew' that it was possible to upgrade it. I only stated that my dealership on multiple occasions told me it was 100% possible and they were ordering the parts to do it. So I gave them the chance to do the work they said they could, which not surprisingly they then said they actually couldn't. Not sure where the shade is coming from here
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #211
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Since you clearly didn't read my posts I'll summarize for you, I never claimed I had any unique car or 'knew' that it was possible to upgrade it. I only stated that my dealership on multiple occasions told me it was 100% possible and they were ordering the parts to do it. So I gave them the chance to do the work they said they could, which not surprisingly they then said they actually couldn't. Not sure where the shade is coming from here

No shade bro, you got me all wrong. I wish you nothing but the best..

I read what you wrote and I'm not accusing you of saying or claiming anything.. But here are the facts;

Your vehicle is a 2015 model year, which is running a iDrive 4 3G hard drive.

BMW is offering a upgrade only to the telematics communications unit and a software update. If they not also replacing your 3G only iDrive to that of a 4G capable unit, then the upgrade to 4G is factually not possible.

Anyone claiming otherwise is sadly mistaken and this can be verify by anyone with a spare 2 mins and an internet connection..

However, if your dealer is somehow able to turn water into wine, then who I am I doubt them. More power to you and Enjoy your "4G"
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #212
unplugged216
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Dinan, BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I read what you wrote and I'm not accusing you of saying or claiming anything.. But here are the facts;

BMW is offering a upgrade only to the telematics communications unit and a software update. If they not also replacing your 3G only iDrive to that of a 4G capable unit, then the upgrade to 4G is factually not possible.

Anyone claiming otherwise is sadly mistaken and this can be verify by anyone with a spare 2 mins and an internet connection..

However, if your dealer is somehow able to turn water into wine, then who I am I doubt them. More power to you and Enjoy your "4G"
Huh, you came off pretty ridiculous lol. No one else here read what we did apparently. Dude did exactly what anyone who does not work in technology or for BMW would do, trust their service department. Who knows, maybe they had a method? Maybe the poster wanted them to admit they are idiots.... Who knows?

Your post is exactly what most would describe as the male version of a Karen... lol

And no one here has claimed otherwise....

... Claimed otherwise to your "technical" observation. BTW: So, if its only a "hard drive" at issue, why can the OS just not simply be reinstalled or upgraded....? I am intrigued.

Last edited by unplugged216; 07-11-2021 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #213
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatison View Post
Quote:

Huh, you came off pretty ridiculous lol. No one else here read what we did apparently. Dude did exactly what anyone who does not work in technology or for BMW would do, trust their service department. Who knows, maybe they had a method? Maybe the poster wanted them to admit they are idiots.... Who knows?

Your post is exactly what most would describe as the male version of a Karen... lol

And no one here has claimed otherwise....

... Claimed otherwise to your "technical" observation. BTW: So, if its only a "hard drive" at issue, why can the OS just not simply be reinstalled or upgraded....? I am intrigued.
huuuuuuuuuh?

The irony of you calling me a "Karen" because you're offended I was being logical with your buddy, must be lost on you

What he was his claiming was impossible and a waste of time. Sorry if I came off snarky but after 10 pages of the same repetitive experience with current 3G vehicles, plus official documents to support this, it was attempt to convey the obvious and save him the trouble.

However, if he wanted to roll the dice at a losing game, it was his time to waste, I didn't lose any sleep over it either way.

By now, I'm sure the dealer has informed him that it can't be done, so he should update the thread. Weird that he hasn't, right 🤨
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #214
unplugged216
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
huuuuuuuuuh?

The irony of you calling me a "Karen" because you're offended I was being logical with your buddy, must be lost on you

What he was his claiming was impossible and a waste of time. Sorry if I came off snarky but after 10 pages of the same repetitive experience with current 3G vehicles, plus official documents to support this, it was attempt to convey the obvious and save him the trouble.

However, if he wanted to roll the dice at a losing game, it was his time to waste, I didn't lose any sleep over it either way.

By now, I'm sure the dealer has informed him that it can't be done, so he should update the thread. Weird that he hasn't, right 🤨
Did you not read your own quote? Or how about reading his post? The last sentence, just so it is front and center, is very clear and is an accurate update.

"Edit: That didnt take long. They called me and told me whoever i talked to was flat out wrong in telling me that this was doable. So, oh well."
Original Post....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #215
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged216 View Post
Quote:
huuuuuuuuuh?

Did you not read your own quote? Or how about reading his post? The last sentence, just so it is front and center, is very clear and is an accurate update.

"Edit: That didnt take long. They called me and told me whoever i talked to was flat out wrong in telling me that this was doable. So, oh well."
Original Post....
Ok, so no, I misread that part. My bad to the OP.

The point is that factually a 3G can't be upgraded to 4G without first installing a compatible hardware.

I don't know why you guys keep going around in circles about what I originally stated. That was the only issue with the OP's claim.

I have no beef with the dude, I'm just working with facts, not emotions, so keep it simple and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #216
unplugged216
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, so no, I misread that part. My bad to the OP.

The point is that factually a 3G can't be upgraded to 4G without first installing a compatible hardware.

I don't know why you guys keep going around in circles about what I originally stated. That was the only issue with the OP's claim.

I have no beef with the dude, I'm just working with facts, not emotions, so keep it simple and move on.
Interesting, We all already know that exact information, SIB 84 20 21 Describing the hardware and software fix..... And really, we have moved on. This is now just entertainment for me. The rest of the community has already moved past this and is most certainly just watching you flail and be a jerk. There was never a single claim made btw that would be construed as fact or direction.

I appreciate your effort to mask the fact you didn't read and continued to be argumentative.

You still haven't answered my original question to your "facts" regarding a "hard drive"....

FYI... Its just me, no one else cares and I just need some entertainment watching a troll flail.

Last edited by unplugged216; 07-12-2021 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Added a link for ref
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #217
unplugged216
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Well, now that the escapades are over lol.

Anyway, I did the same as you. Knowing there is way more to this "upgrade" or "retrofit" than the documentation is eluding to I went ahead and followed suit. I contact my BMW dealer and asked if they could verify my VIN. They in fact did. I was told that SIB 84 02 21 was in fact in effect for my 2016 X5 M (F85). So, I scheduled my appointment. Thankfully I had a service due and some other stuff so it wasnt a waste.

I get a call telling my vehicle is ready. I get down there and am informed that the "recall" no longer appl;ied to my vehicle and there is now a SIB attached to my VIN, SIB 84 01 2021. This SIB describes how my vehicle does not meet "the technology requirements." From ym research and retrofitting many a BMW with gizmos and gadgets, I know there are three main things that need to updated. My head unit needs to be upgraded to the EVO unit as well as the wiring harness to the boot and them the communications module.

So, I went ahead and got all riled up. I got the "Regional BMW NA Engineering" team involved and filed several complaints. They are currently reviewing the "situation."

What is so messed up is that my $170,000 vehicle, its got all the Dinan crap also every package that was available, is now a rolling technological brick. Fast as hell but still dumb lol. My BMW turns 6 in 2 months, that is from its official production date of 10/08/2015. This means that it was in the last production run without 4G. Really? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 06:31 PM   #218
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged216 View Post
Well, now that the escapades are over lol.

Anyway, I did the same as you. Knowing there is way more to this "upgrade" or "retrofit" than the documentation is eluding to I went ahead and followed suit. I contact my BMW dealer and asked if they could verify my VIN. They in fact did. I was told that SIB 84 02 21 was in fact in effect for my 2016 X5 M (F85). So, I scheduled my appointment. Thankfully I had a service due and some other stuff so it wasnt a waste.

I get a call telling my vehicle is ready. I get down there and am informed that the "recall" no longer appl;ied to my vehicle and there is now a SIB attached to my VIN, SIB 84 01 2021. This SIB describes how my vehicle does not meet "the technology requirements." From ym research and retrofitting many a BMW with gizmos and gadgets, I know there are three main things that need to updated. My head unit needs to be upgraded to the EVO unit as well as the wiring harness to the boot and them the communications module.

So, I went ahead and got all riled up. I got the "Regional BMW NA Engineering" team involved and filed several complaints. They are currently reviewing the "situation."

What is so messed up is that my $170,000 vehicle, its got all the Dinan crap also every package that was available, is now a rolling technological brick. Fast as hell but still dumb lol. My BMW turns 6 in 2 months, that is from its official production date of 10/08/2015. This means that it was in the last production run without 4G. Really? lol
unplugged216, thanks for sharing your experience. I did the same: contacted BWM NA multiple times, local dealer multiple times, and eventually regional BMW engineering responded and confirmed "no upgrade possible".

In addition to informing all affected owners that the decision has been made by carriers (and not BMW), BMW isn't particularly motivated to create an approved 4G kit because the cost of three parts - NBT Evo + ATM + wiring loom - plus labor would be north of $3K at the very least. At this point, only customers that purchased the vehicles are affected. Lease customers are already driving some other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #219
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

What are you all worried about the dealer not being able to track when you're do for service😂
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #220
unplugged216
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
What are you all worried about the dealer not being able to track when you're do for service😂
A few major bits. Is it too much to ask? After all, this is the second time BMW has been threw this. You would think they would have learned.
  1. Shouldn't need to modify a vehicle to have modern features when you spend so much money lol
  2. Shouldn't need to modify a vehicle to have modern features when the vehicle is so new
  3. Simple things like remote control, vehicle stolen, alarm, lock, all the little goodies you get when you spend $170,000
Appreciate 0