BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2024, 07:52 AM   #1
bthomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Can a blown turbo cause a blown engine?

While driving on the freeway my X5 suddenly lost power and light grey smoke was coming out of the exhausts. I manage to get over the hill and pull over in a safe place. I was informed by the dealer that it is probably a turbo issue. I tried starting the car again, it turned over once or twice and then just refused. It just gave a malfunction error.
The dealer has diagnosed it as a turbo issue, but they cannot get the engine to turn over so are telling me I need to replace the engine and all three turbos.
I am questioning the diagnostic skills of the technicians. Can a blown turbo really destroy the engine? Could it not be an electronic issue preventing the engine from turning over?
Replacing the engine and turbos will cost as much as I paid for the vehicle.
Not sure if anyone on this forum has any advice, I'm really hoping to not have to replace the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 07:55 AM   #2
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I would get a second opinion at another place that isn't a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #3
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

When the turbo is blown there is usually a loss of oil pressure in the engine, and running the engine without lubrication will definitely seize it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:49 AM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Usually a car with a blown turbo can still run and even drive in some cases. Would definitely recommend a second opinion assuming it didn’t already lose oil pressure.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:11 PM   #5
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

If they’re attempting to turn over your engine by hand and can’t get it to turn over its very possibly seized.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 05:32 AM   #6
bthomas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Diagnosis is as follows, both high and low pressure turbos failed, this caused an excess of oil in the piston chamber and this resulted in a hydraulic lock and and a bent connecting rod.

BMW dealers do not do repairs, they replace components, so have quoted to replace the entire engine. This would cost more than my car is worth. They do have a goodwill policy and sometimes offer assistance, this time they will not.

I will be taking my BMW to be repaired and will be selling it. I love my vehicle, but will no longer risk driving a BMW based on what I have just experienced.

My advice to all. When your motor plan ends, replace your vehicle, or extend your motor plan, or get additional insurance.

It's an unfortunate situation, and a rare one. I was hoping BMW would assist. Some tough lessons have been learned.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

That sucks to hear. You going to find an independent shop to attempt a repair?
Appreciate 0