10-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

469M Wheels

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a 14 X5 M Sport from thr main BMW dealer here in Auckland. I only just noticed that on one side of the car the wheels have the small M badge/sticker on the wheel, but nothing on the wheels on the other side of the car. To me that seems unusual. I haven't taken the wheels off to check for Ronal branding yet. Question is - was the 469M ever manufactured without the little recess for the M badge?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

There isn't a recess? That's not right. Even the replicas I had, had the recess.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I don't know if they made an M version with a badge, and non M version without or not. But I believe they made/make aftermarket versions of them, that did not have the badge.
Probably best to take them off, and check. If they all were the original that came with the vehicle, they should all have the same indent/recess for the badge. So someone has definitely replaced a couple wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
There isn't a recess? That's not right. Even the replicas I had, had the recess.
Yeah, it's really weird. I have emailed the salesman at the dealership to ask what the story is with them. I tried to take a couple of pictures of the inside of the spokes and there is one picture that seems to show 'United States' on the back of the spoke which is odd.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I don't know if they made an M version with a badge, and non M version without or not. But I believe they made/make aftermarket versions of them, that did not have the badge.
Probably best to take them off, and check. If they all were the original that came with the vehicle, they should all have the same indent/recess for the badge. So someone has definitely replaced a couple wheels.
My thoughts exactly. As far as I know, they should all have the recess and the badge so something isn't quite right. I'll see what the dealer says about it.... I'm sure they will either just say they are genuine or they don't know the answer, but I want a confirmation from them that they're genuine Ronal wheels otherwise they should swap them for real ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post
My thoughts exactly. As far as I know, they should all have the recess and the badge so something isn't quite right. I'll see what the dealer says about it.... I'm sure they will either just say they are genuine or they don't know the answer, but I want a confirmation from them that they're genuine Ronal wheels otherwise they should swap them for real ones.
If not genuine, they won't have the correct stamps etc on the inside.
I suggest asking the dealer to remove the wheels, and compare what info is added to the casting, or stamped into the inside/backside of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
If not genuine, they won't have the correct stamps etc on the inside.
I suggest asking the dealer to remove the wheels, and compare what info is added to the casting, or stamped into the inside/backside of wheels.
I just went outside and had another closer look - I think I know what has happened. At some point, the two wheels have had their faces machined, which has taken away the surface to the extent there is no longer a recess for the M badge. I measured the depth / width of the outermost machined surface of the wheel lip. On the 'good' wheel, it's about 10mm - and on the wheels that have no M badge it's closer to 15mm, so from a cross sectional perspective it's probably 2mm that's been taken off the face. But of course now the issue is the wheels look different and the center caps I have noticed also don't fit properly. Is this something I should ask the dealer to fix via two replacement wheels, or would that be a dead end given this is a six year old vehicle now?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just went outside and had another closer look - I think I know what has happened. At some point, the two wheels have had their faces machined, which has taken away the surface to the extent there is no longer a recess for the M badge. I measured the depth / width of the outermost machined surface of the wheel lip. On the 'good' wheel, it's about 10mm - and on the wheels that have no M badge it's closer to 15mm, so from a cross sectional perspective it's probably 2mm that's been taken off the face. But of course now the issue is the wheels look different and the center caps I have noticed also don't fit properly. Is this something I should ask the dealer to fix via two replacement wheels, or would that be a dead end given this is a six year old vehicle now?
Machined surface sounds strange, unless the wheels were severely corroded?!?! Also, that much removed might mess up the structural integrity, if an OEM wheel that was machined, and you are not dealing with an aftermarket wheel that wasn't made exactly the same!?!?
Unsprung weight will slightly differ, might not make a noticeable difference on a street vehicle, but still not OK.

First step, get the wheels off the car and check the backs. Then, once you know if OEM or not, make a decision. Personally I would want all four wheels to have the same mfg, same surface, same weight, and same finish. Also, I would expect a car I bought from a dealer to have all 4 (or 2+2 if staggered) matching wheels, nothing else would be accepted.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Interesting. Some wheel shops do machine the face. They probably had curb damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:03 AM   #10
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Some wheel shops do machine the face. They probably had curb damage.
I think that's what has happened, whether done by the previous owner or by the dealer as part of the sales prep. Kind of bugs me now as the rest of the car is A1 condition. I don't know whether to make a deal out of it and ask for two new wheels or just accept it as the dealer may not even have noticed it if the former owner was responsible.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #11
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think that's what has happened, whether done by the previous owner or by the dealer as part of the sales prep. Kind of bugs me now as the rest of the car is A1 condition. I don't know whether to make a deal out of it and ask for two new wheels or just accept it as the dealer may not even have noticed it if the former owner was responsible.
Bring it up. Tell them you're worried about the structural integrity of the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I would ensure all four wheels are OEM to start off with, and not replicas. Once confirmed they are OEM, I'd move on since it's a used vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't look like too much meat would be taken off on average which is good
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't look like too much meat would be taken off on average which is good
Never seen that. Looks like it would work just fine on a flat surface wheel, but anything with beveled spokes, or more intrinsic designs, and it won't be able to do the job.

Still, I would request all 4 wheels to be the same if I bought a vehicle from a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Do a search on center cap corrosion. Seems common with this wheel design, we've got it bad on two wheels. Maybe they refinished wheels to clean up?
      11-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Machined surface sounds strange, unless the wheels were severely corroded?!?! Also, that much removed might mess up the structural integrity, if an OEM wheel that was machined, and you are not dealing with an aftermarket wheel that wasn't made exactly the same!?!?
Unsprung weight will slightly differ, might not make a noticeable difference on a street vehicle, but still not OK.

First step, get the wheels off the car and check the backs. Then, once you know if OEM or not, make a decision. Personally I would want all four wheels to have the same mfg, same surface, same weight, and same finish. Also, I would expect a car I bought from a dealer to have all 4 (or 2+2 if staggered) matching wheels, nothing else would be accepted.
I'm also skeptical. You'd have to remove a few pounds' worth of material for that recess to disappear. I wouldn't want to drive on any such wheel.