BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

2017 X5 x35i review - 12 days 1400 miles in..

Picked one out from stock, was very close to what I wanted, missing just rear sun shades and comfort rear seats really (stitched dash would be nice too). Gray with black interior, and the 19 inch wheels with 255's.

It has the M-sport package, which for me is a must, I really like the body work and the steering wheel. also has driver assist, assist plus, cold, and the lux seating package.

First thing I did was take it down to OCMD for the crusin OC weekend - classic cars, coal rolling compensation boys and too many current gen mustangs... I'm in central NJ so it was about 200 miles down, 200 back and about 200 around town. Followed by a good week of driving the family all over including a trip down to the NJ shore, and a journey into Queens to pick up a set of 612 wheels which to me make a world of difference in the look of the car.

- I think it looks great, sharp design, sporty.
- very quick considering it is just a 300hp 3.0. I had the N54 in my e92 and that was an underrated engine, this one seems to be as well, also considering this is a heavy vehicle it's surprisingly quick.
- it's not just quick, it really handles well, like a car, a heavy car but a well tuned suspension car. That only got better going from the tall 255's to the massively wide 285/325's that the 612's came with.
- handles great while not having a harsh ride!
- throttle and trans much better than the wife's 2012 X3. no engine MIA action on on-ramps, it just goes.
- has the HK radio which sounds great. I don't need B&O though I'm sure I would like that but not worth the premium to me. Coupled with XM I was enjoying tunes all over for the past week and a half
- I like the tech toys, the overhead cam is great for parking and seeing pets, or other things you might run over. also like how the parking assist comes on automatically (did not do that in x3). Didn't think I'd use the touch screen, I do, it's handy to have. I use the writing function too. The built in dyno is fun to monkey with, as well
- MPG's are not too bad - averaging 21.0 with a decent mix of around town, bumper to bumper, and highway cruising. Not bad considering weight and thrust capabilities.
- the split tailgate - used it a few times watching the hoonigans in OCMD
- didn't come with them but the 612 wheels from the 5M are gorgeous, go perfect with the gray paint, and look sporty without being pimp-wagon wheels. so happy with them. The 19's will get blizzaks for the winter.
- the sun/moon-roof is nice, I was never big on these but when the sun is low in the sky/dark out, it's cool to have open, gives an open, airy feel to the car
- lots of space for family of 4 with tall dad and son, the 5 series sedan is too tight in the back, esp with the seats.
- air conditioned seats are great in the hot weather - got up to 90 in OCMD a couple days and it was nice to have them, though they could be cooler.
- lighting - I didn't get the LED package but the xenon's do a great job, and turn with the wheel. the inside accent lighting is slick and gives a modern, premium feel to the interior.
- HUD - never really thought much about HUD's but this one is great. it knows the speed limit within a second of a change, and has a good clear display, I use it a lot and it keeps eyes on the road much better than without..

Dislikes:

- honestly, the seats were one of the factors in buying the car because I'm a big guy (6'4" 195) and I like the adjustability options. However, I've really struggled to find any position which I can be comfortable for over an hour in. have to do a lot of fidgeting around, adjusting etc. I also find that the seats are a bit hard, the padding is very stiff and dense, hoping break-in gets them to be a bit more supple.. I find the lumbar and side support to be not as great as I had hoped. And for some reason, I feel like I'm falling to one side (center/right) of the seat all the time. like it's installed crooked.
- Seems to be some squeaks and rattles emanating from the dash.. that should not be happening so soon. I can silence them if I push on a piece of molding just to the left of the steering column..
- BMW's nav still kinda sucks compared to Google Maps. it takes you the long way, even when fastest route is the preference. I wish apple car play would work better with google maps.. As it stands apple car play is somewhat annoying at times if you have google maps running it will shut off whatever you are listening to on entertainment when it talks.

Well, that's about it. overall, I'd rate the car about 8 out of 10. if the seats were more comfy, nav better, and no squeaks it would be almost perfect.

Cheers!
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Gary - I would echo your assessment - one impressive vehicle! The overall power comments you made resonate with me. The stock engine power has really impressed me but the handling with DHP is awesome.

The overhead camera really works well and is most useful as you pointed out. I had HUD in my 550i and loved it.

Surely something will pop up to disappoint me but so far nothing but smiles :-)
Appreciate 1
gmazet307.00