05-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Reality View Post
Consider a Cartier Tank Anglaise at least look at it
They are beautiful , I'll say that...BUT...buy a used one since Cartier doesn't hold its value at all. I've got 3 Cartiers (Santos XL100, Roadster and Must 21 Chronoscaph) and what I paid for them new and what they go for used is ridiculous compared to others
      05-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #24
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Cartiers dont hold their value because they're horologcally not interesting for the money they cost. They're more like jewelry imho.
The tank anglaise has an ETA ladys watch movement (not bad but it also makes it not special). For its cost you can get inhouse movements at other renouned manufacturers.
If you're into that kind of watch (rectangular) I'd probably go for a JLC reverso.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      05-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #25
Mr Reality
Mr Reality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Cartiers dont hold their value because they're horologcally not interesting for the money they cost. They're more like jewelry imho.
The tank anglaise has an ETA ladys watch movement (not bad but it also makes it not special). For its cost you can get inhouse movements at other renouned manufacturers.
If you're into that kind of watch (rectangular) I'd probably go for a JLC reverso.
Mine was a gift I like I was just trying to be helpful I'm not a watch expert
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 02:15 AM   #26
Cloudywolf
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 35i

Hey everyone I hope you guys had a nice long weekend and thank you for the great suggestions. I want to pick up some of these for myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
Citizen eco line has some decent ones . . . . $1,500 range.
That and take him & mom out to dinner..........
Your Golden !

Don't know your Dad but I'll bet the days of the bigger and more
expensive gifts from his kidz are on the curb.
Quality time and zero mandated gifts are top shelf.
Yeah I understand but it's also a milestone birthday so I want to make it extra special for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

Navitimers are HUGE; its the opposite of what the TS is looking for.

Rolex oyster is maybe too small? (mid size is 36mm)

Maybe the TS can give some pointers? Dress watch? or more sporty? Classical styled or modern? automatic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
How about something like a Junghans Max Bill or anything from the Nomos line? They are very clean, Bauhaus style watches. Nomos is just under the 5K range and Junghans is well below 5K, probably 2K range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
rolex submariner non date?
they are little over your budget but a timeless piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
This guy makes nice stuff. I paid around 5K for one.

https://mauricedemauriac.ch/
I finally got a chance to ID my dad's watch. It's an Omega Constellation Automatic Chronometer.

Some suggestions? Definitely an automatic. Metal band, round face. I don't think he'll catch on to the square face. Something that's classy and can be worn on any occasion.

My dad knows very little about watches and I am afraid that the appeal and history behind many of these watchmakers will be lost on him. I wanted to get him a Rolex submariner but he expressed a preference for Omega watches. I think it's because we watched a lot of 007 movies together. I guess all the signs point towards a Seamaster?
2005 350Z Roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:56 AM   #27
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
A seamaster is not a small watch either. Maybe get him something he can wear more often like a Casio Pathfinder or G-Shock or maybe even a Citizen? I realize this isn't exactly what you stated you were looking for but he might like something he can get more use out of. I personally don't wear my nice watch all the time. I have a citizen, a pathfinder and a gear S3 I wear all of which provide the same utility or more but allow me to save the nice watch for special occasions and reduce the likelihood of damage and wear over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #28
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Based off of your list, I recommend the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Master Co-Axial.
It's in your price range, fits the bill for what you're looking for and is a great watch for all occasions.Name:  IMG_1991.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  160.8 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wills28616.00
      06-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #29
amber-katie
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport

2 years ago i got my Husband an Indian flavour. HMT Rajat Supreme, which is a limited edition, sells for about 103 dollars and has the badass look of a more expensive Rado Diastar. My main issue is prices, because i will not break a bank for a watch. I can't take a pic cause my phone broke..but you should check it out..they have amaizing watches!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #30
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber-katie View Post
2 years ago i got my Husband an Indian flavour. HMT Rajat Supreme, which is a limited edition, sells for about 103 dollars and has the badass look of a more expensive Rado Diastar. My main issue is prices, because i will not break a bank for a watch. I can't take a pic cause my phone broke..but you should check it out..they have amaizing watches!
.....I'm speechless.....lol
      06-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #31
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Watch

Tag heuer Monaco Calibre 11 would be my choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudywolf View Post
Hey everyone I hope you guys had a nice long weekend and thank you for the great suggestions. I want to pick up some of these for myself!

Yeah I understand but it's also a milestone birthday so I want to make it extra special for him

I finally got a chance to ID my dad's watch. It's an Omega Constellation Automatic Chronometer.

Some suggestions? Definitely an automatic. Metal band, round face. I don't think he'll catch on to the square face. Something that's classy and can be worn on any occasion.

My dad knows very little about watches and I am afraid that the appeal and history behind many of these watchmakers will be lost on him. I wanted to get him a Rolex submariner but he expressed a preference for Omega watches. I think it's because we watched a lot of 007 movies together. I guess all the signs point towards a Seamaster?

I'm probably in your dad's age range and I've had a Seamaster that I love to wear from time to time. I checked out what Omega is selling new and here's one I would want if I were shopping. It's automatic. It's in your price range.

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Automatic Men's Watch Item No. 215.30.44.21.03.001

Another watch I love that's in the right price/value is Tag Heuer. Mine's a mechanical watch and I like it. but I'd go with automatic next time.

You can find great watches your dad will like from these companies in your price range.

Good luck! Your dad is lucky to have you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Seamaster are some timeless classics. Love the bullhead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #34
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Reality View Post
I love threads where there is no political arguing
What does Trump wear?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
What does Trump wear?
I dont know, but I know Putin has a really fine taste in watches (Patek 5208P, A.Lange&Söhne Tourbograph)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-09-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Take a look at Nomos and stowa for nice classic look watches, thin light and decently priced. I have stowa marine I got for under 1k.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #37
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Take a look at Nomos and stowa for nice classic look watches, thin light and decently priced. I have stowa marine I got for under 1k.
Nomos does make some very nice watches but that brand is targeted more for watch aficionados and collectors. I've seen a lot of interest in their mechanical/self winding movements. Like them a lot!
      06-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #38
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I think you should go with omega if your dad is comfortable with that brand.

I dont know what version of the constellation he has but if its like most images on google search is (gold/white dial), it might be a bit dated, and that seamaster aqua terra might be a very nice more up to date look. Maybe a tad large but still smaller than your watch.

Still if he's into bond films, you cant go around rolex imho.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #39
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Rolex datejust oyster jubilee bracelet stainless steel - 36mm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #40
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Anybody have an opinion on longines, never had one kinda like the master chrono moon phase
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #41
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Anybody have an opinion on longines, never had one kinda like the master chrono moon phase

watch this video

there is really a lot to think about when getting a piece like this; how much of the content is actually Swiss, where is the case made, is the case and dial as well finished as an Omega or an IWC both near or a thousand or so more expensive.

in a way a piece like this is a better purchase for a watch know-it-all that knows exactly how it compares and this grade of movements use in other watches both cheaper and more expensive.

the thing with chronographs and moon phase is that those features lose their usefulness rather quickly. however, no doubt this chrono-moon-phase is a very pretty piece, though you need t see how it looks on your wrist.

there are a few other watches, some a little more expensive that you might want to check out before finalizing a purchase - but they won't have as many functions.

IWC mark viii pilot watch
rolex datejust o jubiilee bracelet

I personally like the watch and it would be fun, but not sure I could do the purchase - maybe if I had a collection, but if I just wanted one watch I'd probably do an IWC pilot.

Last edited by overcoil; 07-01-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #42
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Thanks will look into it deeper for sure. Not just a single watch. Do like the iwc but price point higher. Rolex, not a fan sold sea dweller already
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #43
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks will look into it deeper for sure. Not just a single watch. Do like the iwc but price point higher. Rolex, not a fan sold sea dweller already
if you weren't happy with your sea dweller...

I think the SD is one of the nicest pieces out there, the quality of the finish of the case has got to be better then most watches period. Though the newer the Sea Dweller the more comfortable the bracelet could be?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #44
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Wasn't thrilled with it because of looks but also don't like metal bands I guess. Not comfortable at all compared to leather. I have time before I wanna look 80.
Appreciate 0