04-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #23
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
I would not want to see that picture in original size & high resolution - it hurts my eyes too much to see it as is.
I'm almost blind from the salt of my tears.

Quote:
What year and how many miles and are you the original owner?
Original owner and had the vehicle almost 4 month now. It's a 2017 and only have 3200kms (1800miles?) on it.

Quote:
Hard to tell from the picture but I've never seen anything like that - what are all the black specs on the paint?
Some of the black specks is actually yellowish and appear to be some sap like residue. The others appear to be something else. Not sure. It's odd because I live and do most my travels downtown and never by any trees. Underground parking. Regardless what Calgary BMW provided me in their sheet sounds like it is Ceramic or similar coating.

Quote:
Sorry to tell you but, IMHO, you got ripped off bad for 2800 dollars for that stuff - mainly all profit margin for the dealer.
Agreed. Total I just hope that some people that is doing their research on their BMW purchase are made aware of the troubles I've had with this BMW owner group.

I should have walked out on the deal when the manager cited that it was his condition of the trade in.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #24
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Wow - 4 months old and original owner - hurts to hear that. Unless you can get some type of dealer assistance on this, and if I owned the car, I would give my insurance carrier a call to see about coverage to:

sand, prime and repaint - let cure - and then cover with Xpel Ultimate paint protection film. Having all that chipped paint go through multiple Calgary winters makes me shudder to think what your X5 is going to look like by next year.

I do believe that there is something odd here that none of us are seeing yet.

BTW - yellowish sap like material sounds like the anti corrosive sealant material you see around the drains under the front door hinges - but, no idea how it would be showing up in front of the forward door opening.

Last edited by Apple Corps; 04-18-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #25
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterJellyTime View Post
Wow. I must be the only one. It baffles me how this could have happened.
You're not the only one. Many have this issue: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1220458
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:15 AM   #26
PeanutButterJellyTime
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
You're not the only one. Many have this issue: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1220458
Checked all the pictures and quickly glanced at a few posts. Some refer to it as stone Chips while others to paint being scraped off due to door and fender clearance. Mine doesn't have the clearance problem.

Imagine a single rock chip on your hood; a fresh little stone chip about 1/16th" in diameter (maybe even smaller) . Now multiply that by 20 or 30 in a 3 inch high and 1/4 inch wide on both hinges. That's what I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #27
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

ah, you're right, you have a different prob.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #28
PeanutButterJellyTime
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterJellyTime View Post

Some of the black specks is actually yellowish and appear to be some sap like residue. The others appear to be something else. Not sure. It's odd because I live and do most my travels downtown and never by any trees. Underground parking.
Quote:
BTW - yellowish sap like material sounds like the anti corrosive sealant material you see around the drains under the front door hinges - but, no idea how it would be showing up in front of the forward door opening.

Found the yellow speck culprit on another thread about clay bar and waxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
^^ Yup ^^

I also clay my vehicles a couple times a year, always before I polish/wax. For light color cars, it is the only non-abrasive thing that takes off the orange spots (they look like rust spots, but aren't) that we get after a hard, chemical filled winter. While I use Zaino products exclusively for the paint, I find their clay bar a bit too soft for me. I now use a Simoniz clay bar as I find it to be best. I use a diluted detail spray as a lubricant and wear nitrile gloves to help keep the clay from sticking to my hands.

There is nothing like smooth, slick feel of a freshly clayed and polished/waxed car!

Last edited by PeanutButterJellyTime; 04-19-2017 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #29
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

If you are going to keep this X5 you need to correct the damage which is, at this point, superficial (no rust or metal damage).

You will need to sort the underlying cause. I'm not up to speed on your wheel/tire setup but going to a 19" wheel / narrower tire, doing a WURTH stone guard undercoat spray, adding running boards, mud flaps, Xpel Ultimate ppf, etc. might be the solution.

Some of those things may not float your aesthetic boat but that chipping would be a "dump this truck" deal for me if it continued. Imagine your feelings when the rust starts.

Again, your comprehensive insurance coverage might help.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #30
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
I would not want to see that picture in original size & high resolution - it hurts my eyes too much to see it as is.

What year and how many miles and are you the original owner?

Hard to tell from the picture but I've never seen anything like that - what are all the black specs on the paint?

Sorry to tell you but, IMHO, you got ripped off bad for 2800 dollars for that stuff - mainly all profit margin for the dealer.
Lot of the black specs and orange specs are contaminants and easily removed by using clay or clay mitts.
      04-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #31
PeanutButterJellyTime
Canada
Rep

Talked to the GM at Calgary BMW today. I guess they're blaming the chips on the side of the doors due to having many rocks in Calgary. The inability to smoothly glide the back of my hands down the paint is because I don't wash my car. Everything is either my fault or something else. Never once have they tried to make a customer happy. I guess in these days there really isn't a need to keep a customer happy anymore.

Let's just say by the end of the conversation with him that there are many involved now. He heard a mouthful from me and all their staff and customers heard. They finally agreed to fix up my vehicle. A customer should not have to go through all this.

Many may think that a dealership doesn't have to help me out in this case. That is fine. I just feel that they need to treat their customers much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #32
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterJellyTime
Talked to the GM at Calgary BMW today. I guess they're blaming the chips on the side of the doors due to having many rocks in Calgary. The inability to smoothly glide the back of my hands down the paint is because I don't wash my car. Everything is either my fault or something else. Never once have they tried to make a customer happy. I guess in these days there really isn't a need to keep a customer happy anymore.

Let's just say by the end of the conversation with him that there are many involved now. He heard a mouthful from me and all their staff and customers heard. They finally agreed to fix up my vehicle. A customer should not have to go through all this.

Many may think that a dealership doesn't have to help me out in this case. That is fine. I just feel that they need to treat their customers much better.
I feel your pain. Never, ever deal with both Calgary BMW dealers if you want to keep your sanity. It is run by the same Group.

If you want to ditch the X5 or trade, I have a good relationship with the Edmonton dealers. That's where I got my X5.

Our weather is horrible, and with many ongoing constructions of new buildings, roads, and houses, you're guaranteed contaminants on your paint, it is unavoidable.

For the rock chips, that seems abnormal, regardless of how many rocks we have on the road during winter.

I have zero issues on mine, I ran 1 year without running boards with no rock chips in that specific area.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
PeanutButterJellyTime
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
I feel your pain. Never, ever deal with both Calgary BMW dealers if you want to keep your sanity. It is run by the same Group.

If you want to ditch the X5 or trade, I have a good relationship with the Edmonton dealers. That's where I got my X5.

Our weather is horrible, and with many ongoing constructions of new buildings, roads, and houses, you're guaranteed contaminants on your paint, it is unavoidable.

For the rock chips, that seems abnormal, regardless of how many rocks we have on the road during winter.

I have zero issues on mine, I ran 1 year without running boards with no rock chips in that specific area.
I wish I had zero issues with mine.

Contaminants are fine but the Total Protection Package that was "applied" is supposedly make cleaning easier. No such thing since I received my X5.

I was hoping only Calgary BMW were idiot so that I can talk to the BMW Gallery up in Crowfoot instead but if you say both provide bad service then I guess I have to buy from out of town or go with another maker. I've considered gettimg rid of my x5 but would lose too much for 4 months.

Don't get me wrong. The finance manager and service reps have been great. It is only the managers and GM that I criticize their actions towards me so far.

I will just have to see what will happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #34
Kahurangi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M50d Alpine White

This can't be stone chips - it's in a way too specific spot (right on the leading edge of the door, actually tucked into the crack between the door and the front panel), in a place on the body where there are generally minimal chipping issues, and more importantly, there are no other chips in the surrounding area.
Look at those chips - a lot of them are horizontal. And there are even a few not-quite-chipped bits in some spots that sort of look like the paint has been 'bruised' with a sideways impact but hasn't actually been chipped away.
I'm guessing that if you open the door wide, you'll find that that area actually is impacting the inner bodywork (sorry, no idea what the terms are for the various parts) - probably only when you open it to it's absolute maximum and it 'bounces' on the hinge.
Kahurangi
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #35
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I live up in Edmonton.....I can assure you both our BMW dealers are completely and utterly inept. They didn't tighten wheels enough and almost lost one. The owner walked over to wife and handed her a BMW pin like he did her a favour. In Canada there are just too few bmw dealers for them to have to care.

Now for the stone chips - I had a previous X6 and it was murderous what the rear quarter panel and rocker looked like. I went to the BMW and asked who does their body work for them so I could get a quote to reprint. Let's just say I laughed out loud and promptly traded it in. Having said that, my f15 with spacers has been significantly better, but I also got wise to the game and did a bunch of Xpel. I would highly recommend this, especially in Canada with our shit roads. Plus, if the dealer will correct it now, best to wrap it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #36
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahurangi View Post
This can't be stone chips - it's in a way too specific spot (right on the leading edge of the door, actually tucked into the crack between the door and the front panel), in a place on the body where there are generally minimal chipping issues, and more importantly, there are no other chips in the surrounding area.
Look at those chips - a lot of them are horizontal. And there are even a few not-quite-chipped bits in some spots that sort of look like the paint has been 'bruised' with a sideways impact but hasn't actually been chipped away.
I'm guessing that if you open the door wide, you'll find that that area actually is impacting the inner bodywork (sorry, no idea what the terms are for the various parts) - probably only when you open it to it's absolute maximum and it 'bounces' on the hinge.
Kahurangi
it is. the tires kick up a lot of little stones and sand.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #37
PeanutButterJellyTime
Canada
Rep

I gave up talking to the dealership. My business is going elsewhere for my next vehicle. . Even their repairing of my "stone chips" was crap. The worst quality work I have ever seen and the paint didn't even match. I swear they just used alpine white

However when they redid the paint protection spray or whatever it is I proved that my assumption was right. They charged me $2800 and lied to me about the work done on my initial pick up. Now the water actually beads off. Bunch of lying SOBs.

I eventually just paid another another company to put on the film for my sides. Never ever dealing with both of the Calgary BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0