BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
LANDCRUISER
Rep
Drives: X5 GOLDEN

Stop Engine" Check Oil Pressure

Guys, I can't find a conclusive method on this famous issue because people are saying tighten up the nut on the oil pump, change oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor, change oil pump , upgrade oil etc

my x5 3.0 L has 131k miles on it. recently I drove it hard to beat the red light and I think in my mind I heard 3 minor knock knock knock in the engine, and 20 seconds after the message " stop engine : check oil pressure popped up" never saw this before. the engine isn't knocking and it runs fine. I parked as soon as I was able to get it off the road which was 2 mins after the message appeared .

Today I am going to harbor freight to buy an oil pressure test kit, and I need to know what is the normal psi at idle, and what rev count should I take it to and measure the psi at high.

should I check the oil pressure first or drop the oil pan firstly because something is telling me in my mind that when I drop it , I will see loose bolts and a loose nut on the oil pump.

guys I need help, steer me and the future users who will read this in the right direction. I want this post to be the ultimate guide in the future for anyone with this problem. please don't say take this to the stealership for a diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

131k miles..."famous issue"...definitive guide.

First, my general impression is that the BMW in-line 6 petrol engine is viewed as one of the best ever made - so at 131k miles to have a warning light go on is a famous issue?

Not all dealers are stealers - that phrase sounds cool and informed but I have had great experience with the BMW Dealer techs doing what little has been needed on our Bimms for over 30 years - East Coast to West Coast - M5s / 7 Series / 550s / X5s / 330s / thumbs up on all of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDCRUISER View Post
Guys, I can't find a conclusive method on this famous issue because people are saying tighten up the nut on the oil pump, change oil level sensor and oil pressure sensor, change oil pump , upgrade oil etc

my x5 3.0 L has 131k miles on it. recently I drove it hard to beat the red light and I think in my mind I heard 3 minor knock knock knock in the engine, and 20 seconds after the message " stop engine : check oil pressure popped up" never saw this before. the engine isn't knocking and it runs fine. I parked as soon as I was able to get it off the road which was 2 mins after the message appeared .

Today I am going to harbor freight to buy an oil pressure test kit, and I need to know what is the normal psi at idle, and what rev count should I take it to and measure the psi at high.

should I check the oil pressure first or drop the oil pan firstly because something is telling me in my mind that when I drop it , I will see loose bolts and a loose nut on the oil pump.

guys I need help, steer me and the future users who will read this in the right direction. I want this post to be the ultimate guide in the future for anyone with this problem. please don't say take this to the stealership for a diagnosis.
First, I don't think you're in the right forum as it sounds like you have an E70 and no one here has posted about this "famous" issue.

Secondly...if you heard three knocks you need to get that motor opened up now. My SWAG at it would be that you lost oil pressure and starved a main bearing, which led to spinning it.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that your oil pump simply has a loose bolt.
      06-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

What year is your X5? As lowlevelhell stated, you might find more help in the E70 forum if it is an E70 and not a F15.

You state that the "engine isn't knocking and it runs fine"; so to be clear, you have run it since the message? Did the message go away? Does the vehicle indicate the correct oil level?

I'm not a big fan of tearing into a motor unless I have something indicating internal damage, but oil starvation is no joke. You will have to determine what you feel is acceptable risk for you. These engines (like most modern engines) are very sensitive to lack of lubrication.

So since you are looking for advice to determine what to do, I would likely start with an oil change and see what the oil looks like. You may have done some internal damage and it may not really matter or it could be a precursor to major damage. If there are any flakes, then I would drop the pan and do a visual inspection.

After the oil change, I would remove all spark plugs and accessory belt, rotate the motor manually from the crank to see if you feel any rough spots as you rotate. With the belt and spark plugs removed, it should rotate pretty easily and with a uniform resistance. If you spun a bearing or did any major damage to a bearing surface, the oil and rotation should indicate pretty clear that there is an issue. Listen carefully also as it may give you a better idea where the damage may be; you could have a friend rotate and listen with a mechanic's stethoscope.

If you get to a point that you feel safe running the motor, I'm guessing the BMW motor would generate similar oil pressure as other motors I have worked on, 40ish PSI at idle and more with increased revolutions upwards of 80ish PSI.

Good luck, post back please.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

From what i recall the older 3.0L inline 6 motors had an issue with the nut holding the oil pump sprocket back out causing catastrophic engine failure. Usually when this occurs your engine is toast within seconds of running because there is zero oil being circulating after the nut backs out. I haven't heard of anyone with a modern bmw engine have this problem so I assume bmw changed the design to fix it.

Dropping the oil pan will tell you immediately if this is the case. I would do that instead of running the motor further.

Alan
      06-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
LANDCRUISER
Rep
Drives: X5 GOLDEN

well I went to harbor freight, but an oil test kit and hooked it up to the port behind the oil filter. it shows 50 psi on start up. I didn't hear any noises since and my engine is ok. I am driving it just fine.

I also did NOT change the oil switch/sensor. I think what happened was the fast acceleration on this old 2003 X5 with 133k miles is not good, it took all the oil away from the bottom pan and it registered something bad on the sensor in my opinion. I said this is my opinion. don't ring my ears if I am wrong. I just can't be sure why it occurred.
Appreciate 0