BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #67
mgaciah
Private
Rep
Drives: F23 cabrio, F85 X5M

i would like to add something else about the X5M towing, when you pull back to drop your boat or jet into the water usually ramps in Costa Rica has high angles which produce that a lot of pickups, 4x4 and others slip trying to get out of it, with the Xdrive I never even turn one wheel over the others, this system has a great design and gives a lot of confidence on these situations.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #68
j-rho
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1967 Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Towed a new-to-me trailex enclosed with my track car in it. Trailer is about 1800lbs, car 3000lb, tires, winch, and other stuff was probably another 250lbs. I tuned the tongue weight to 650 with the position of the car.

It was really smooth. Oddly seemed easier than the open CT8045 I used before. Kinda need a trailer mounted backup camera now though.
In lieu of new thread, wanted to check in and see how towing has gone for you jml, and for anyone who tows similar spec/weight trailers, especially long distances.

I'm considering an X5M as a multi-purpose DD and tow vehicle for my racecars, after daily driving pickups for 14 years. Trailer would be similar to the enclosed trailex, fully loaded weight between 5200 and 5800 depending on car/load.

Most mileage would be normal commute stuff but sometimes I'd be towing long distances - San Diego to Nebraska for instance, which is 1600 miles.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #69
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Does the X5 already have the wiring in it to plugin the electronic brake controller?

Right now I have a Prodigy brake controller in my Porsche Cayenne and it plugs in underneath the dash

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...sRB52uqDvaehMa!

Does the X5 have a plugin receptacle for this?
Appreciate 1
sly1types426.50
      06-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #70
tlhommed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 x5m

Towing and maintenance

Hi Folks,

Sorry to resurrect this topic, just curious if anyone is increasing their transmission fluid exchanges or other maintenance as a result of towing with X5M? We have our eye on a small boat 4k# but don't want to jeopardize the life of the transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

'12 X5M New Jersey USA
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #71
Trini M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
Note: This is an X6M, but I *think* they are the same wrt the hitch.

Height above road: 9 inches.
Height of Tailpipes above road: 10 inches.

I did not install myself. A long time ago, I installed a factory hitch on my 2000 M5. Same process, I'm sure. Better electronics these days. BMW did the coding. Now, if anything is plugged into the trailer wiring, the rear parking control sensors are disabled. I'm pretty sure the "sway control" built into the anti-lock braking and stability control works as advertised.

Side pictures. (sorry... bad images... best I can do for today)
hi there i have this same hitch system and for the love of god i can't figure out how to lock the receiver in place any help on they video advice ?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #72
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhommed View Post
Hi Folks,

Sorry to resurrect this topic, just curious if anyone is increasing their transmission fluid exchanges or other maintenance as a result of towing with X5M? We have our eye on a small boat 4k# but don't want to jeopardize the life of the transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

'12 X5M New Jersey USA
Hi, I tow an 1800kg caravan with mine, I try hard to pull off and generally drive gently hitched up.

Will be changing the fluids etc at 50,000 miles, that's plenty whether towing or not I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:52 AM   #73
brockt
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5m F85

I'm digging this thread
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cncmastr1568.50
Louv300.50
      06-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #74
Trini M
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

hey any videos on how to lock it in place ? i have the same hitch and for the love of god can't figure out how to lock it i place
Appreciate 0