BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Aneura
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010

Hi!

Quick (possibly dumb) question.

I have a 2016 M4 and just picked up a 2014 X5 - the thing is, the 'Online Search' in the X5 navigation doesn't work - does this require the ConnectedDrive Services subscription to work?

It says 'list is empty' after it tries to search.. I've confirmed it has internet connectivity.

I had the software recoded, I don't know if it was that that broke it or it just needs a subscription?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Online does require subscription.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Now this is interesting. I just received a renewal notice from BMW for the connected drive services on our '14 X5d. The document provided when the vehicle was purchased describing these services also covers teleservices, stolen vehicle recovery and emergency notification along with connected drive. All of them are for 10 years, with the exception of connected drive which ended 4-5-17.

Online search is a service I want to maintain, however online search is not mentioned anywhere in the description of what each of these services include in the referenced document. The description for connected drive does states it includes what is found on the online menu in iDrive.

I do not see online search within the online menu of iDrive and, notably, online search is working as of yesterday, one month after the end of connected drive. From this I conclude that online search is not part of connected drive.

Anybody have further wisdom on this?

P.S. Almost forgot. I also asked our local BMW genius, and CA, about this and he looked it using the VIN, and he also said online search was one of the 10 year services. He also mentioned that BMW has changed this from time to time, so it could be different for different MY's or perhaps even other '14's of a different build date.

Last edited by MotoWPK; 05-05-2017 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Add'l info
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Aneura
United_States
Rep

Indeed, I read through that as well before posting this question.. it doesn't mention Online Search specifically anywhere that I could find under any of the subscriptions.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Aneura
United_States
Rep

Here's why mine shows for active/inactive services.. I was thinking Online Search would be included in one of the active (10 yr?) services, but maybe not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I'm pretty sure you need the one that gives you weather which should be ConnectedDrive Services.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Just spent some time on BMW's connected drive sites and can't find online search described anywhere. Also, some contradictions, for example:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...#view_services
Includes BMW Assist eCall so this would appear to be part of Connected Drive Services, for which, according to my BMW Assist Subscriber Agreement contract, my '14 X5 came with 3 years, but the agreement also shows eCall for 10 years.
The above BMW web page for Connected Drive also shows an item for BMW Online, but the description for this includes items such as weather, news, etc., but online search is not listed.

In summary, I still can't find online search described anywhere or what it is a part of, but also all of the descriptions of Connected Drive I can find do not include online search.

This and the fact that it's still working on my X5 a month after expiration of Connected Drive and that my local BMW Genius and CA told me online search is good for 10 years leads me to conclude it is good for 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Aneura
United_States
Rep

I'll buy connected drive services and report back if that fixes it. If not, I'll see if we can 'un-code' whatever broke it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Aneura
United_States
Rep

Reporting back - Purchasing a subscription to ConnectedDrive Services resolved the issue as a couple above had suggested. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneura View Post
Reporting back - Purchasing a subscription to ConnectedDrive Services resolved the issue as a couple above had suggested. Thanks all!
Thanks for the feedback. A couple of questions;
1) Were you provided any documentation as to what ConnectedDrive Services includes, and specifically, did it list online search?
2) Did you purchase direct from BMW, either online or through the 800 number, or from a dealer and how much?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Aneura
United_States
Rep

MotoWPK -

1) Of course not, haha.. nothing about Online Search, so I just gave it a shot.
2) Purchased through the website for $50/yr.. doesn't seem terrible to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally found a document that specifically states online search is part of connected drive services.
I was surprised at the only $50 price you mentioned as I'd seen a figure of almost $370 on the connected drive site. Proceeding through the renewal process, however, I found that various connected drive features can be individually renewed, specifically connected drive services, for, indeed, $50.

Thanks again for posting your experience, it helped to clarify something that is not very clear in the BMW info.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
wankelman24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i M Sport

Garage List
Just got off of the phone with Connected Drive Customer service. They discontinued the Internet capabilities last year (2016). She said that they were having too many technical issues and shut it off and didn't renew any more subscriptions. She did say that the only way on to the internet was through a HOT Spot but this was only available on the 7 Series.
I called because I noticed my internet was missing and couldn't find anyway to renew it. I have a 2016 X5

Hope this helps.

Quick (possibly dumb) question.

I have a 2016 M4 and just picked up a 2014 X5 - the thing is, the 'Online Search' in the X5 navigation doesn't work - does this require the ConnectedDrive Services subscription to work?

It says 'list is empty' after it tries to search.. I've confirmed it has internet connectivity.

I had the software recoded, I don't know if it was that that broke it or it just needs a subscription?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Chris Bangle (former head of design, BMW)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankelman24 View Post
Just got off of the phone with Connected Drive Customer service. They discontinued the Internet capabilities last year (2016). She said that they were having too many technical issues and shut it off and didn't renew any more subscriptions. She did say that the only way on to the internet was through a HOT Spot but this was only available on the 7 Series.
I called because I noticed my internet was missing and couldn't find anyway to renew it. I have a 2016 X5

Hope this helps.
Full Browser is not available on North American vehicles. Through active ConnectedDrive subscription, you do get features like real-time traffic updates as well as "online search" for POI.

Hot Spot is available on more than just the 7-series, but (post-trial period) requires an active subscription through AT&T. Vehicle services as router for other devices (Smart Phones, tablets, notebooks, etc) to connect.
Appreciate 0