BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
igeneo
Rep
Drives:

Post Wireless Charging - iPhone - My findings

Didn't see much of a dedicated thread to this, so here goes:

I use an iPhone 7 Plus... and here's my experience on what works and what doesn't. Also, my goal was the thinnest possible case for my phone.

Initially I used my Peel case which is super thin, combined with this device:

iPhone Qi Receiver Cloele Gen-3 Super Speed Qi iPhone Wireless Charging Receiver Patch Module for iPhone 7 Plus 6 6 Plus, 6s 6s Plus 5s 5c New Improved 5V/ 1000mAh! 2 Pack
by Cloele
Link: http://a.co/jeTz16Y

Basically, it is a small patch that attaches with a sticky part to the back of the phone, and plugs into the lightning connector. then you put on the case and it is hardly noticeable.

Result: Worked great on desktop chargers, but in the X5 it was not reliable. Even after changing the position of the phone in the holder, it would still give that charging sound off and on, meaning it wasn't making a good connection. I tried another set of this same brand as well as another set from another, same result.

Then I tried this case:

Antye Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Back Cover Matte Finish Case for iPhone 7 with Flexible Lightning Connector - Black
by AntoStars $19.99
Link:
http://a.co/7CNbFe5

Result: Same result as the charging pad, Worked great on desktop chargers, but in the X5 it was not reliable. Same on/off bong sound over and over. I also don't like the branding on the back, I prefer things nice and clean.

Finally... I tried this case:

Nillkin Magic Case Wireless Charging Receiver Case
iPhone 6/6 Plus/7/7 Plus
by Nillkin $19.99
Link: http://a.co/epH7fmX

Works like a champ! It has been three days and it has been 100% reliable. It is not overly bulky, and the branding is minimal. It has a nice rubbery feel and ribs on the side to grip. I still prefer the Peel case, but there is no way a wireless charging case could ever be that thin. Hopefully the iPhone 8 will have this built in as rumored and I can get a Peel case again.

A couple things to note.
  • If your phone is above 97% charged or so, it will not try to charge. This led me to think the last case wasn't working, but after running the battery down, it worked fine (I also did the same with the charging pads, I tested again and same fail)
  • It will not charge as fast as the lightning cable, but it does charge the phone just fine
  • The phone will get a little warm when using wireless charging. Nothing that I would be concerned about, it's not what I would consider "hot"

There you have it, hopefully this helps someone save some time experimenting.
Appreciate 2
1230vani637.00
IndyJer111.00