BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i

Used X5 50i Deal Check - Appreciate Your Insights

I located a local 2014 50i at almost 60k miles. Factory warranty is no more but is fully loaded (almost), with the exception of parking assistant if my research is not too far off.

Price is nominally non-negotiable at $43k but I did manage to get a trade in adjusted $1500 higher after a little negotiation. The retail price is in line with Edmund's good/excellent prices (by their midpoin)t. The trade in is more than generous by Edmund standard and in line with KBB's Good/Excellent (by their midpoint).

My hesitation includes:

1. Relatively high mileage and no warranty, although I'm not looking to keep the car for more than a year or two.

2. Cracked windshield that's claimed to be waiting for the replacement part to come in and replaced.

3. Brake vibration under moderately hard brake during the test drive. It's claimed an inclusive inspection has been done and everything looks good mechanically. Is this brake panic normal?

I'm contemplating that I could take the car to an indy shop for a comprehensive prepurchase inspection, but is this even worth it at all? Should I let go of this "deal", if at all, in your opinion?

Car is a personal lease and 1-owner, damn why he drove this much =p

Thank you for any inputs!!

P.s. the things that attract me to this deal:

It's virtually impossible to find a fully loaded 50i at this price. Most valued feature to me is ACC but then it has LED so I tasted the coolness of high beam assistant and I know a little coding which will be handy down the line, and M pkg, and there is even a tow hook which I might need in a couple months!

I'm just torn between a seemingly perfect item with a few imperfections listed above. And all this has to be decided in two days, aka before the month is over.

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
cs135i
Rep

Another thought has to do with expenses to be incurred immediately following the ownership: 60k maintenance and maybe something else that I haven't though of.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Would an aftermarket warranty be an option?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

I would leave that deal on the table.

Screams bad news to me.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      05-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Mileage and the brake thing would probably scare me away from that one. That car sounds anything but good/excellent. I would only buy if it were a screaming deal (offer something closer to poor).

It sounds to me like you know it's probably something you should walk away from but you really want to do it and are asking for validation.

Re: extra expenses, none really pop out as specific to the X5 but I would check the status of normal wear/tear items for that mileage (tires, brakes, plugs, fluid changes, etc.). Also, check the status of the battery to see the last time it was changed given the engine's potential to drain them.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      05-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

If you are not sure I'd walk. I've been looking and have been close to purchase three times but each time something stopped me (2 times price, 1 an unanswered question).

Not sure why you want to keep only a year but that's your call.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      05-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Leave that sucker on the lot and lease a new one for that money - sounds like you would be buying into a headache.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
cs135i
Rep

Thanks for the inputs! Called to pass on the car, was told they spent 1.5k on the brake replacement (not sure of the credibility though as this wasn't my sales person, who is out of office for two days). And this sounds really bad, because if I hadn't noticed the brake vibration, I might have had to fix this on my own.

It's a shame because this car has all the options that get me drooling. The ACC Mpkg Lighting combination (in addition to a bunch other minor options) is really hard to come by.

After reading everybody's inputs, I think I'll redirect my search toward a 2014 model or newer with around 40k miles for a few more grands, so that I am at least fully covered under warranty for the time I expect to own it.

As for aftermarket warranty, they seem to offer. I don't like the idea and probably won't get one because of how hard it could be to file a claim and the extra costs of warranty purchase that basically means I bought a high mileage vehicle for higher price, sounds like the worst scenario.

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #10
cs135i
Rep

Now the task becomes to ask for a deposit refund!

It makes me thinking though, what if they offer to drop another $1000 (by raising the trade in value). That's like getting the car for $41k, which is lower than Edmund's average condition price. Arrrrh.

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

there is not enough information. How are people advising OP on walking away based on a cracked windshield and brake vibration?

You're telling me you've NEVER gotten a cracked windshield before? How do you know the used car you bought didn't have a cracked windshield before you bought it? If it's getting fixed anyways, who cares?

The vibration is hard to pinpoint. It would be wrapped rotors, it could be ABS kicking in Does OP know what ABS feels like, is he describing the "vibration" correctly? Was the vibration repeatable under different circumstances, or just felt it once? Ultimately, best way to know the status of the brakes is to inspect rotor thickness, pad thickness, and ensure they replaced the sensors and clips on the last brake job. If OP asked for evidence of brake service and the part numbers used, this would solve the problem. For all we know, the brakes weren't properly bedded in, big whop, so rebed them.
      05-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs135i View Post
Now the task becomes to ask for a deposit refund!

It makes me thinking though, what if they offer to drop another $1000 (by raising the trade in value). That's like getting the car for $41k, which is lower than Edmund's average condition price. Arrrrh.
for $1k more discount, sounds like a good deal to me. (I don't know whether the overall level is a good deal, I'll trust you on the KBB valuation source).

You can do a complete front brake job for less than $1k and address the brake vibration yourself. So if you get this discount, what else would be holding you back?
      05-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
cs135i
Rep

Hey thanks for a different voice! The extra $1000 is just my brain work lol, I don't think they will do that, but in case they do, this once again makes my decision hard.

I was braking from 70mph to about 40mph to enter a ramp in a 20C degree weather, so if it was really ABS, the tire may need immediate change ;p

That said, I don't think it was ABS, it felt different from ABS kicks on every car I've owned, VW, Audi, previous 328 and the current ML (can't believe how mushy its brake is for a German car). It didn't feel that serious but it made me feel uneasy on a X5. My first language is not English so I probably didn't have the most intuitive terms to describe it. It just feels like, exactly, a shaking vehicle. Not just the steering wheel, but the whole car is shaking, subtly yet prominently. I added word panic since it reminds me of a person that is panic shaking. So I was basically asking if everyone has it, if not, and since it's not ABS, there must be something wrong with it.

I have never had a cracked windshield in the past 10 years, but I agree that it's not something to be worried about too much. It's merely the psychologically part that bothers me, as in "I'm getting a car with a cracked windshield." It may also hint an ill fate at me. Who knows.

But the most important part now seems to be the warranty and potential troubles. If brake and windshield are all sorted out at the end, and one day I'm hit with a $6k repair bill, like the scenario Boof M3 mentioned above, I'll hate myself.

Come to think of it, if I'm looking to enjoy it for only a year or two, possibly for less than 10k miles, then I really should be worrying about the depreciation rather than the absolute lower price I'm getting it for, in the expense of high mileage. A 40k-mile 2014, if priced right, will depreciate not much more than a 60k-mile 2014 that's also priced right in my scenario a year later.

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
there is not enough information. How are people advising OP on walking away based on a cracked windshield and brake vibration?

You're telling me you've NEVER gotten a cracked windshield before? How do you know the used car you bought didn't have a cracked windshield before you bought it? If it's getting fixed anyways, who cares?

The vibration is hard to pinpoint. It would be wrapped rotors, it could be ABS kicking in Does OP know what ABS feels like, is he describing the "vibration" correctly? Was the vibration repeatable under different circumstances, or just felt it once? Ultimately, best way to know the status of the brakes is to inspect rotor thickness, pad thickness, and ensure they replaced the sensors and clips on the last brake job. If OP asked for evidence of brake service and the part numbers used, this would solve the problem. For all we know, the brakes weren't properly bedded in, big whop, so rebed them.
You have to be kidding.

A seller representing a car with the most obvious of flaws, instead of correcting before sale?

Integrity of seller. Buy the seller first.

The deal is fishy from the start. Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #15
cs135i
Rep

But you had some sharp points Flying Ace. If it's further discounted and I become highly motivated to buy it again, I'll definitely need to take it to an indy shop for a pre purchase inspection BEFORE I write that check. I found a couple in my area that's recommended by fellow BMW owners, opened in my browser and all ready for my call =)

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
cs135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You have to be kidding.

A seller representing a car with the most obvious of flaws, instead of correcting before sale?

Hey that's what I left out. Yes that made me feel bad. When I called today (not to my sales directly, but a "manager", since my sales was out), he asked why back out - I said "windshield" -"but it'll be fixed" - "also the brake" - "we changed the entire front brake, 1200 dollars" - "ok..."

But what I was really thinking was: why was this not repaired before I test drove yesterday, given that it was claimed the car has been through a "rigorous" inspection already and is "certified" by the dealer. The dealer is transparent enough to have included an invoice, on which there are two items: PERFORM PRE OWNED DTL (what's this acronym btw) and DENT WIZARD

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #17
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Again - why don't you lease a new X5 if you are only going to keep it for a year or two? You appear to be putting a lot of thought and effort and risk into such a short ownership period.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
cs135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Again - why don't you lease a new X5 if you are only going to keep it for a year or two? You appear to be putting a lot of thought and effort and risk into such a short ownership period.
Because there's no way to tell how long I would own the car. I'm moving around contingent to my unit's decision. I might own it more than a year but I could also have just bought it for 6 months and then ordered to go... I had done a quick math, and lease guaranteed to results in much higher spending, especially compared to buying and selling the car within 12 month period. So buying and then later selling it to a carmax, or have my family sell it to private party for me is a better option.

Or I could do a new lease and transfer later? My impression is it's harder to transfer a lease rather a car I own. Is it not?

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs135i View Post
Because there's no way to tell how long I would own the car. I'm moving around contingent to my unit's decision. I might own it more than a year but I could also have just bought it for 6 months and then ordered to go... I had done a quick math, and lease guaranteed to results in much higher spending, especially compared to buying and selling the car within 12 month period. So buying and then later selling it to a carmax, or have my family sell it to private party for me is a better option.

Or I could do a new lease and transfer later? My impression is it's harder to transfer a lease rather a car I own. Is it not?
I'm not the one to tell people to purposely abuse government programs, but the SCRA allows you to exit a car lease agreement if you're deployed for over 180 days. This is a right afforded to all service members who are deployed. The spirit of the law this to allow this flexibility for unforseen deployments, but you can take advantage of it too.

Talk to your benefits person. This covers cars that are leased before deployment or change of duty station.
      05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You have to be kidding.

Integrity, is representing the car in a different condition.
Not enough information to determine this.

The problem is cost of carry. People want to flip inventory. Check online, I see BMW and Porsche dealers post lease returns immediately for a quick sale. Cars are dirty, photos look like my 5 year old nephew took them. You think EVERY used car was treated as if it was never driven before? For all you know, El Chapo killed a stripper in its trunk while a drunk squirrel nutted off his balls in the seat. If they sell it to me for the right price, I can fix it. Or, you'd rather not know and ignorance is bliss?
      05-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #21
cs135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I'm not the one to tell people to purposely abuse government programs, but the SCRA allows you to exit a car lease agreement if you're deployed for over 180 days. This is a right afforded to all service members who are deployed. The spirit of the law this to allow this flexibility for unforseen deployments, but you can take advantage of it too.

Talk to your benefits person. This covers cars that are leased before deployment or change of duty station.
Will consider this also! Though I would feel bad entering into a lease knowing that I'll get out of it in months, it's worth a call and ask about the possibility

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #22
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

"while a drunk squirrel nutted off his balls in the seat".

I hate when that happens.
Appreciate 0