BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
almstsobur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X35d, ZDH, X-Line

Transmission downshift, options?

I'm coming from a 2012 Touareg TDI that has to be bought back by VW. I've had the X5 for about 3 days now. I pretty much love everything about it; except the shifting patterns. In particular the lack of a downshift in comfort mode when passing on the freeway, 70-80 mph. It just feels like it's needlessly lugging the engine by staying in 8th gear. It seems to me that you need to hammer that gas way harder than expected for it to drop a gear or 2, otherwise you just lug the motor and pick up speed at a reasonable clip.

Anyone else feel this way? Any coding I can do to change the shift patterns, or the passing gear engagement? My Touareg had an 8 speed auto as well, but 15% throttle or so and it instantly dropped to 6th or 7th depending on pace.

This is an x-line model with dynamic handling package. When I put it is sport mode it holds 7th for no reason at 75-85 mph, never finds 8th again, even with no load and it winds out the shifts way too much for my taste on a daily work commute, flat and straight interstate. The upshifts are perfect and it's smooth as butter, I just don't understand why it doesn't want to downshift without stomping it.

Thanks for the input, suggestions or options appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
If you find it sluggish, the quickest thing to do is to slap the shifter to the left to activate the transmission's sport program. You can also tap the Driving Dynamics Control switch into Sport mode, although this will probably take your eyes off the road for a moment while your finger locates the switch. Either will activate a sportier shift schedule, and activating both will give you maximum performance.

When the Driving Dynamics Control is in Sport mode, the vehicle will not utilize 8th gear in automatic mode.
      06-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
almstsobur
United_States
Rep

Thanks Rotzy, so no coding that anyone is aware of to engage a passing gear a bit earlier on the throttle? No tranny software updates I might be missing? This is my first BMW that's not a motorcycle, but I find it hard to believe that this doesn't bother anyone else. I've been slapping the shifter to the left when need be, but it seems odd to need to manually intervene on the daily commute. I would enjoy the manual shifting on a more exciting road, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
I would highly recommend MPPK (M Performance Power Kit). It is a BMW tune (nothing more than a software update) that will increase hp and torque and improve throttle response. There are a number of threads here about it, do a search for MPPK.

It will noticeably improve throttle response, especially at speeds above 45mph, which sounds like exactly what you're after. It will not downshift like you are mentioning, but you will get more power so the downshift is not needed. I've found that I have better (more comfortable for me at least) throttle response with a steady application of pressure to the gas pedal vs mashing it to the floor to get the downshift. When you keep the RPM in the power band, the acceleration in these heavy vehicles is impressive with the added juice of the MPPK.

Expect to spend around $1,200 to $1,500 installed for the tune, which has to be installed by your dealer. i added it to my wife's X5 after about a month of ownership and had it installed on mine before I even took delivery. I would not have an X5 without it.

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and saw you have the 35d. Unfortunately MPPK is not available for your engine.

Last edited by IndyJer; 06-15-2017 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
almstsobur
United_States
Rep

I thought I read that they don't do the MPPK for the diesel? If that is incorrect and they do, I am all over that!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
I thought I read that they don't do the MPPK for the diesel? If that is incorrect and they do, I am all over that!
Sorry, they don't. See my edit comment...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Yes, I believe you can code to sport automatic 2TB! it should make a big difference, read this thread;

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1138452
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

This is the reason why i never drive my car in comfort mode. Even in my X5M its this way and it so reluctant to downshift gears trying to conserve fuel. Once my car is warmed up it goes straight into sport mode all day long. When my right foot goes down i want the car to respond immediately. When you leave it in comfort mode its like it ignores you 2-3x before it actually does anything.
      06-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
almstsobur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Yes, I believe you can code to sport automatic 2TB! it should make a big difference, read this thread;

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1138452
Wow! That sounds like the ticket right there. It certainly seems like it is worth a try. Right now I have the options for eco, comfort, sport and sport+. I wonder if coding this would have any impact on those settings, or the ZDH package? Everything feels right to me except the comfort mode downshifts, so hopefully this coding doesn't affect too much else. I also wonder, I have the tow/hitch module on it's way, I wonder what if any effect that might have on the current coding or this 2TB coding.

I appreciate the heads up, I am going to try coding this tonight. Sounds like this might be just what I am looking for.

Last edited by almstsobur; 06-16-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
almstsobur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This is the reason why i never drive my car in comfort mode. Even in my X5M its this way and it so reluctant to downshift gears trying to conserve fuel. Once my car is warmed up it goes straight into sport mode all day long. When my right foot goes down i want the car to respond immediately. When you leave it in comfort mode its like it ignores you 2-3x before it actually does anything.
I don't blame you Alan, That's pretty much where I am right now. Comfort suspension, sport transmission. Hopefully the coding above will be an improvement in comfort mode. I just don't like the stretching of the shifts on sport mode (for freeway and town drudgery) and it seems ridiculous that at 85 MPH is stays in 7th. Go to 8th with low/no load and drop to 7 or 6 with minimal gas applied; seems like common sense to me. The transmission itself seems wonderful, the software guys should be beaten IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #11
almstsobur
United_States
Rep

Sweet baby Jesus! What a difference. Thank you sbinshihon, that is day and night. Neither code 205 nor 2TB existed on mine. So I did some googling and someone said if 205 isn't there you just add 2TB and it works. Sure enough, it's like a different vehicle. I can't imagine why this isn't default, it's not harsh at all in comfort mode and it seems to me that it doesn't drag sport mode shifts out quite so long (that may be in my head, I was mostly testing comfort) much quicker shifts all around in comfort and it will actually downshift on the freeway. Beers on me tonight!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post
Sweet baby Jesus! What a difference. Thank you sbinshihon, that is day and night. Neither code 205 nor 2TB existed on mine. So I did some googling and someone said if 205 isn't there you just add 2TB and it works. Sure enough, it's like a different vehicle. I can't imagine why this isn't default, it's not harsh at all in comfort mode and it seems to me that it doesn't drag sport mode shifts out quite so long (that may be in my head, I was mostly testing comfort) much quicker shifts all around in comfort and it will actually downshift on the freeway. Beers on me tonight!

Thanks again.
Cool, glad I could help! enjoy in good health. Cheeers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Cool, glad I could help! enjoy in good health. Cheeers
Glad you got it figured out. I guess I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in comfort mode between models coded with the sport transmission and models without it.

I'm always amazed at the wealth of information available on this forum.