01-19-2022, 12:02 AM   #1
kevoncox
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Auto Wipers

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
To turn in the auto wipers in my 2014 x5, I have to remember to hit the button. It seems to defeat the purpose. Am I missing something? If it starts raining and I'm out, I have to hit the button on the same stalk I could turn on the wipers.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #2
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

That's better than having the auto feature start whenever the car is on. Never forget the sound of wipers breaking free and dragging across a frost covered windshield on another car I had where the auto wipers were left on the day before the temp dropped.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
To turn in the auto wipers in my 2014 x5, I have to remember to hit the button. It seems to defeat the purpose. Am I missing something? If it starts raining and I'm out, I have to hit the button on the same stalk I could turn on the wipers.
The auto wipe feature regulates the need for wiping based on the amount of precipitation on the windshield. If you use the lever to turn on the wipers...then they wipe at a constant speed regardless of the amount of precipitation on the windshield. Thus getting dry swipes if the rain is sparse...or the driver needing to adjust the wipe frequency based on speed of travel and amount of precipitation.

Again, the auto wipe feature allows you to press a single button on the end of the stalk (when needed) and the wipe frequency & speed will automatically adjust without intervention from the driver.

If the system did not turn itself off when the engine was cut off...then as mentioned above, you could get damage from unexpected wiping...especially for those that use a car wash.

You asked are you missing something...my first thoughts would be...unintended consequences of auto wipers always being active...with the net result being the driver having to TURN OFF the system if it was activated but not needed. The inverse is less prone to damage and how most drivers probably use the feature. Most would rather turn it on (when needed) versus having to turn it off (if it activated) and was not needed.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-19-2022 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

On newer BMWs it stays on. I've had a G30 rental for a bit and the auto is a physical position on the wiper stalk so it will stay on through restarts. Odd that they took so long to implement this as other brands have done it for over a decade (my mom's 2010 Q5, for example).
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #5
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The auto wipe feature regulates the need for wiping based on the amount of precipitation on the windshield. If you use the lever to turn on the wipers...then they wipe at a constant speed regardless of the amount of precipitation on the windshield. Thus getting dry swipes if the rain is sparse...or the driver needing to adjust the wipe frequency based on speed of travel and amount of precipitation.

Again, the auto wipe feature allows you to press a single button on the end of the stalk (when needed) and the wipe frequency & speed will automatically adjust without intervention from the driver.

If the system did not turn itself off when the engine was cut off...then as mentioned above, you could get damage from unexpected wiping...especially for those that use a car wash.

You asked are you missing something...my first thoughts would be...unintended consequences of auto wipers always being active...with the net result being the driver having to TURN OFF the system if it was activated but not needed. The inverse is less prone to damage and how most drivers probably use the feature. Most would rather turn it on (when needed) versus having to turn it off (if it activated) and was not needed.
Thanks for the explanation. I think I misunderstood the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
kevoncox
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
On newer BMWs it stays on. I've had a G30 rental for a bit and the auto is a physical position on the wiper stalk so it will stay on through restarts. Odd that they took so long to implement this as other brands have done it for over a decade (my mom's 2010 Q5, for example).
Yeah my wife's parents have a couple of newer Lexus and I could swear theirs come on automatically whenever rain starts.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:10 AM   #7
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

Any idea why BMW did a 180 on this after ~20 years of having to confirm the starting of auto wipers each time? On the G30 I can leave it on auto indefinitely and if it starts raining the wipers turn on
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
Radimson
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

And best are Bosch Aerotwin of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
My 04 E85 had them and it was a physical setting to - you can leave it on all the time if you want. I choose not to so they would not come on when not expected (like when you are cleaning the windshield) but you COULD leave it on all the time if you wanted.