I have VIN number! This is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #200
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13-750i, 15-Hurc., 14 X5 50i

Iam actually quite surprised by the number of 35i's ordered compared to the 50i's.

Anyone like to share why they went with one over the other?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #201
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon
Iam actually quite surprised by the number of 35i's ordered compared to the 50i's.

The smaller engine almost always outsells the bigger engine for several reasons, some fairly obvious:

1. It's cheaper and not everyone wants to spend the extra money on the bigger engine and extra gas it requires

2. Some of us are buying these for our wives who don't need or want the extra power in the first place

3. Sometimes the "smaller engine" is a 300 hp and torque engine that already favors very well against the competition and offers very good performance for an SUV. (Not everyone needs their SUV to be a race car).

For me, it was 2 and 3. I have the N55 in my F30 and it that car it is fast. Not M3 fast, but legitimately fast. In the bigger and heavier X5, it is still quick and respectable, but not fast. I had an E70 with the 4.8i for myself back in '07. For that, I wanted the bigger engine since it was for me. On this one, the smaller engine gets very similar performance, and this one is for my wife and kids 90% of the time, so I simply have no need or desire for our family car to be anywhere near as fast as my 335.

Were it for myself, maybe I would've done a 50i. But honestly, the 35 really is no slouch to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #202
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
The smaller engine almost always outsells the bigger engine for several reasons, some fairly obvious:

1. It's cheaper and not everyone wants to spend the extra money on the bigger engine and extra gas it requires

2. Some of us are buying these for our wives who don't need or want the extra power in the first place

3. Sometimes the "smaller engine" is a 300 hp and torque engine that already favors very well against the competition and offers very good performance for an SUV. (Not everyone needs their SUV to be a race car).

For me, it was 2 and 3. I have the N55 in my F30 and it that car it is fast. Not M3 fast, but legitimately fast. In the bigger and heavier X5, it is still quick and respectable, but not fast. I had an E70 with the 4.8i for myself back in '07. For that, I wanted the bigger engine since it was for me. On this one, the smaller engine gets very similar performance, and this one is for my wife and kids 90% of the time, so I simply have no need or desire for our family car to be anywhere near as fast as my 335.

Were it for myself, maybe I would've done a 50i. But honestly, the 35 really is no slouch to begin with.

Wish my wife would have been ok with the 35i. She test drove that and the 50i and opted for the larger of the 2. She also had to have the soft close doors, which is a 2800.00 touch anyways.

I think the great thing for me is when I drive it now i wont feel like iam driving my wifes car as it is the V8.

Happy driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #203
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon
Quote:

Wish my wife would have been ok with the 35i. She test drove that and the 50i and opted for the larger of the 2. She also had to have the soft close doors, which is a 2800.00 touch anyways.

I think the great thing for me is when I drive it now i wont feel like iam driving my wifes car as it is the V8.

Happy driving.
Ha, well there's your mistake, letting her drive the big dog! I kid, of course... Had my wife driven one, she probably would prefer the 50. Do I trust her with the extra power? No! She's not as good a driver as she thinks she is lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #204
BlackLemon
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ha, well there's your mistake, letting her drive the big dog! I kid, of course... Had my wife driven one, she probably would prefer the 50. Do I trust her with the extra power? No! She's not as good a driver as she thinks she is lol.

Hahaha, im going to post a rim update in 6 months, i can promise you all that all 4 of her rims will be curbed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #205
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

My X5 xDrive35i

BASE MSRP
$55,100
M Sport
$4,600
Mineral White Metallic
$550
Mocha Nappa Leather
$0
Fineline Oak Wood Trim
$0
Cold Weather Pack
$550
Driver Assistance Plus
$1,900

Driver Assistance Package
$1,400

ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant
$1,200
Lighting Package
$1,900
Luxury Seating Package
$1,350
20" M Light alloy Double Spoke wheels style 469M-with performance run-flat tires
$950
Mocha Interior Design Package
$1,950
Premium Pack
$2,700
4-zone automatic climate control
$500
Ceramic Controls
$650
Rear manual side window shades
$250
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
$4,500
Destination & Handling:
$925
BMW Ultimate Service™
A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.
4 Years/50,000 Miles Warranty
Included
4 Years/50,000 Miles
Maintenance Program
Included
4 Years/Unlimited Mileage
Roadside Assistance
Included
Total MSRP as Built $80,975

March 2014
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #206
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

To all those in production/in transit, I have found (in 5 purchases) that the phone system is almost always more up to date than the web... of course, calling in can be painful and slow.

Using a pre-stored, timed series of entries, you can make the process a lot faster/easier. To do so, if you're an iPhone (this should work on any phone, but I can't speak from experience) user, save a contact with the following syntax (pauses, etc.) and it'll make things a bit less painful.

(800) 831-1117,,2,,Production Number,1

Where "Production Number" is your 7 digit Production Number.

You could try a partial vin by swapping the last 1 for a 2 and the PN# for the 7 digit partial VIN (though you may have mixed results if you have a lot of alpha-numerics).

Figured I'd share.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #207
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
anyone considering Space Grey Metallic (exterior) with Mocha (interior)?
Am getting that. Saw M50d live with that color combo and liked it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #208
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
To all those in production/in transit, I have found (in 5 purchases) that the phone system is almost always more up to date than the web... of course, calling in can be painful and slow.

Using a pre-stored, timed series of entries, you can make the process a lot faster/easier. To do so, if you're an iPhone (this should work on any phone, but I can't speak from experience) user, save a contact with the following syntax (pauses, etc.) and it'll make things a bit less painful.

(800) 831-1117,,2,,Production Number,1

Where "Production Number" is your 7 digit Production Number.

You could try a partial vin by swapping the last 1 for a 2 and the PN# for the 7 digit partial VIN (though you may have mixed results if you have a lot of alpha-numerics).

Figured I'd share.
Thanks riM3, I think I stole that from one of your other posts, and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #209
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Previously posted by Artemis ( if you have your VIN number, it shows production date)

BMW VIN-Decoder for all BMW Vehicles from January 1928 to April 2013 (including: Motorcycles, Mini, Rolls Royce):

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/

Indicate the last 7 characters of any VIN of a BMW car ("Submit Query") and you get a complete list of all the production specifications (production date + production plant + standard equipment + optional equipment). You can also save the datasheet as PDF.

Check yours. It is 100% accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #210
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Finally got a production number! System hasn't been refreshed yet though, shows it now as a 2013 335xi lol. So I don't know my production date yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #211
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '14 X5 50i

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2011 Ford F250 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon View Post

Happy driving.
My Wife drove EVERY '13 engine and she wanted the 50i because of the extra power entering the freeway.

For me it was the extra power when passing on the freeway. She will drive 8mph over the posted limit and she will pass two or three cars at a time so the extra power is helpful for her. If you driven Vegas/LA, LA/Vegas you know what I mean.

Not one size fits all for sure and that's why BMW makes the engines they do.

Her '14 50i has been sitting at the USA port for at LEAST three weeks. NO movement on the 50i's that I know of. Has anyone taken deliver of a 50i yet? Last I heard they were waiting for some kind of engine chip upgrade?

Regards,
      11-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #212
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

Quote:
Finally got a production number! System hasn't been refreshed yet though, shows it now as a 2013 335xi lol. So I don't know my production date yet.
About time! Lol Glad you finally got it. Remember to speak with someone directly when calling 1800 number. the recording can be 48 hours off and the website even longer. congrats
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #213
X5carolina
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

My X50i Order

My X5 order:

2014 X50i
Black Sapphire Metallic
Mocha Interior Design Package
Luxury Line
20" Wheels
Executive Package
Bang and Olufsen Stereo
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Plus
ACC Stop and Go+ Active Driving Assistant
Dynamic Damper Control
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Front Ventilated Seats
Comfort Rear Seats
4 Zone Climate Control
Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance (DAMMIT!)
Parking Assistant
Concierge Services (Wild Hare Experiment)
iPhone 5 Snap In adapter

Taking PC Delivery. Waiting for production number. Production slated for week of December 8th, they say...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #214
jdfw75
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 X5 Sport

Folks -
I placed my order around 10/22 and was first told that I could get a week 47 production date (early Dec). Then, when the order was entered into the system I was told by the dealer that production had been delayed by the supplier of the 20" wheels I had ordered. When I asked for an update today I was told that my production date is now sometime in January.

I am aware of the software update issue....the wheel supplier issue.....the "hold until 11/1 release date" issue... but when I started this conversation with the dealer I was going to be driving my new 2014 i50 before Christmas. Now "to be built sometime in January" is supposed to suffice?

Is the dealer keeping me on the hook because he really didn't have a production slot in 2013 to sell?

This is my 4th X5... I want to do the deal today; why should I wait three months or possibly LONGER...?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #215
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfw75
Folks -
I placed my order around 10/22 and was first told that I could get a week 47 production date (early Dec). Then, when the order was entered into the system I was told by the dealer that production had been delayed by the supplier of the 20" wheels I had ordered. When I asked for an update today I was told that my production date is now sometime in January.

I am aware of the software update issue....the wheel supplier issue.....the "hold until 11/1 release date" issue... but when I started this conversation with the dealer I was going to be driving my new 2014 i50 before Christmas. Now "to be built sometime in January" is supposed to suffice?

Is the dealer keeping me on the hook because he really didn't have a production slot in 2013 to sell?

This is my 4th X5... I want to do the deal today; why should I wait three months or possibly LONGER...?
I ordered a week after you. And have a first week in Feb build date. For the exact reason you listed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #216
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

It really does sound like there is a shortage for the 20" wheels. I was thinking that maybe they underestimated the number they would need. Now it sounds like they have a problem with production of the wheels, not just a shortage. If I remember right, someone else ran into the same problem and changed their wheels to 19" and got a much faster production time.

On the subject, is this normal for a new release? In the US, they did not seem to have any problems with the 35i, but the 50i is a total bust...but only in the US? People all over the world have now have a 50i. There are some of us in the states that have completed vehicles sitting in a parking lot or warehouse since September, with no information on when they are going to be released. The lack of information is freaking killing me. BMWNA Hold, software issue, oil issue? Now we have a wheel supply problem, wtf?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #217
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AresM3 View Post
It really does sound like there is a shortage for the 20" wheels. I was thinking that maybe they underestimated the number they would need. Now it sounds like they have a problem with production of the wheels, not just a shortage. If I remember right, someone else ran into the same problem and changed their wheels to 19" and got a much faster production time.

On the subject, is this normal for a new release? In the US, they did not seem to have any problems with the 35i, but the 50i is a total bust...but only in the US? People all over the world have now have a 50i. There are some of us in the states that have completed vehicles sitting in a parking lot or warehouse since September, with no information on when they are going to be released. The lack of information is freaking killing me. BMWNA Hold, software issue, oil issue? Now we have a wheel supply problem, wtf?

Im guessing most of the issues have been fixed besides the 20" wheels. My car is shipping right now and should be at dealership Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #218
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep

I called again, and told them I needed an answer as to why I have to keep waiting. She did come back with some info about the problem: The information BMWNA gave them is that the V8 has the software / false low oil problem and it could be a problem for 2000 of the V8s already made. They do have a fix and have been fixing and testing since yesterday 11/6. She could not give me any info as to when mine will be tested / fixed. Really, I can see how they would not have any idea. I am sure order is out the window, and who knows how long it takes to 1) Test if it does have the problem. 2) Fix the problem 3) Test to make sure the problem is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #219
marsblackmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 550i & '14 F15 35i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLemon View Post

Blacklemon,

1,2 & 3 for me... Not to mention my wife got pulled over on the test drive of the V8 E70. That pretty much sealed the deal...

M
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #220
marsblackmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 550i & '14 F15 35i

Quote:
So you have 35 ahead of you overall or 35 just for your dealer? I'm imagining they pump out a couple hundred of these a month, so 35 in a week seems easy to me. When you think about it, the plant is making these for the entire world.. So they must be churning them out at a good volume. but honestly I have no idea when it comes to how many they sell or make in a week, etc. I've never been told how many cars are ahead of me, just build week and expected delivery.
ChrisNY,

Just called the 800#. The recording advises that my build is in production w/ an expected completion date of the 14th!!! Seems like they're moving along...

M
Appreciate 0