BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #45
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
easy for me, i am 6'3 and cant fit in the x6....i thought they had same headroom but over 2 inches less.
6'3 here as well. I was thinking of changing my order to X6. That would have been a poor decision. The X5 head room is important.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
6'3 here as well. I was thinking of changing my order to X6. That would have been a poor decision. The X5 head room is important.
Wow, you're almost a whole foot taller that me! I always thought that my E70 (not my E53) drove too 'big'. Perhaps I'm just too small for an X5

You may want to wait until you can actually sit in a 2015 X6. That's always the best way to determine if the car will be comfortable for you.

On paper, the 2015 X6 has 998mm vs the X5s 1028mm headroom. That's a little more than 1" (which can make a difference for someone who is not short like me). But for comparison, there was also 998 in the E70 X5; the same as the F16. The E71 only had 972. That's Lilliputian compared to all the other models.

The E70 X5 has 1016mm of front leg room, the F16 has 1013, the F15 1026. That's about 1/2" less than F15, but 1/2" more than E70.

So, if you find the headroom and legroom adequate in the E70, you should in an F16 also (paper!)

Disclaimer: I am open to comments that my numbers are incorrect. I got the F16 numbers directly from the BMW spec sheet. However I couldn't find one for either the F16 or E70. I got the E70 numbers from edmunds and the F15 and E71 numbers from motortrend.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #47
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Wow, you're almost a whole foot taller that me! I always thought that my E70 (not my E53) drove too 'big'. Perhaps I'm just too small for an X5

You may want to wait until you can actually sit in a 2015 X6. That's always the best way to determine if the car will be comfortable for you.

On paper, the 2015 X6 has 998mm vs the X5s 1028mm headroom. That's a little more than 1" (which can make a difference for someone who is not short like me). But for comparison, there was also 998 in the E70 X5; the same as the F16. The E71 only had 972. That's Lilliputian compared to all the other models.

The E70 X5 has 1016mm of front leg room, the F16 has 1013, the F15 1026. That's about 1/2" less than F15, but 1/2" more than E70.

So, if you find the headroom and legroom adequate in the E70, you should in an F16 also (paper!)

Disclaimer: I am open to comments that my numbers are incorrect. I got the F16 numbers directly from the BMW spec sheet. However I couldn't find one for either the F16 or E70. I got the E70 numbers from edmunds and the F15 and E71 numbers from motortrend.
Your numbers should be fairly accurate regardless due to those sources. You're also very right about the most important thing...you won't know until you SIT in one .

Also, the other factor is seat position...some people like to sit really high to sea above their hood better, some like it really low and back (like my cousin - he's a heavy guy at 6'3"). So those also matter. Some people also have larger torsos in comparison to their lower body or vice versa - that also factors in. So as we all said before, it's a personal preference, and no one knows until they try.

Often times, people get surprised because they end up loving something they initially hated. I'll be dead honest....I thought from the concept pics that our X5 was HIDEOUS because I thought they turned it into a Infiniti JX/AUDI Q7/Mercedes R style vehicle by stretching it. It wasn't until I saw it in person that I realized how wrong the renders made it look and it's much much better in person.
      09-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #48
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Reading this thread is interesting with all the previous suppositions and predictions based on something - maybe reading published BMW stats. Its good that you actually have experience in both. For me, I would like to know more of the why. For example, you state it handles better, hands down. That's a blanket statement with no explanation and it sounds like they are two completely different vehicles. Specifically, why? Are both your vehicles equally outfitted in suspension options? Are the tires the same? If so, then its a better comparison.

Most likely, as models and technology improve, the newer, more expensive model is more forgiving (because the car does all the hard work), thereby giving the illusion it handles better. Anyway, we're talking about 5,000+ lb luxury SUV's which is interesting. What pushed me away from newer Porsche's was the stability management that they recommended remain on. Basically, point the car, firewall the pedal, and off you go. For me, this is not driving. For me, feeling the road, feeling the personality of the car, feeling the suspension give and take on, knowing how and when to add the throttle and so on is fun.

My X5 has the M sport suspension with nothing more than springs, shocks and big anti-sway bars. If you enjoy driving, this big SUV is a lot of fun, and will be for a lot of time. If I want enhanced or supplemented handling, like I did yesterday, I get in my wife's SL550 with adaptive handling engineered from the F1 cars, and tear up the twisties with very few, if any cars, competing. For me, technology does not always mean better - it's personal. Also, when my SL has a suspension problem, it is $1,000's of dollars where the X5 will mean me buying a shock and two or three hours later, it's ready to go (I own both - no leases). The SL requires an $1800 shock on each corner and about 4 hours per shock of MB shop time with a computer as well as recharging the high pressure pump, lines, accumulators, distribution blocks and so on.

Technology has a price and the costs escalate outside of warranty.

Anyway, I have no interest in an X6, am completely comfortable in my X5 purchase and have no opinion about X6's stats or characteristics. I appreciate you starting a conversation with facts comparing the two.
My X6 M is just that, an M vehicle. One has to keep that in mind. This being said, I am assuming most here recognize the difference.

The X5 is the M sport. Again, an entirely different animal.

Thus, I guess, my comparison isn't entirely "fair".

But, my wife or I will both tell anyone who will listen, my X6 M handles, brakes, corners way better than the X5.

I can not speak for the standard X6 as I do not own one nor have never driven one.

I have a 2013 M3 drop top that is supercharged. From a cornering/handling stand point, there is surprisingly little difference (on the street) to the X6.

The X6 is quieter above 100 than the M3. And it gives one a better sense of traction with all wheel drive and a doubled amount or rubber on the road.

True its heavier but this would only be noticeable in the tightest of turns.

The X6 M has an enormous braking surface. So much so it may be double.

The X6 cannot haul as much as the X5 in volume, (height) due to the raking hatch, but the cargo compartments floor space is identical.

I am 6'-2" +220# and have plenty of headroom. There is no doubt in my mind the seats in this car are the most comfortable I have ever been in.

The best thing about the X6 is the emotion it evokes. People look at it and either love it, or hate it.

Of course this due just to looks. Once driven, one knows. It's good. Very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #49
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I'm flipping E70 (2011) to F16 (M5.0d) in Jan mainly because the X6 is a 'beauty and beast' and the new F15 is too similar to the E70. I'm 5'7" and only 2 of us so we don't need the space, but want the show!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #50
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Need to count days a topic like this appears over and over again My 2 cents: as it's been already said, you either love the X6 or hate it. I personally hate it (E71 was from meh to ok with proper exterior tuning; F16 is simply a no-go for me), but there are loads who love it and there's nothing wrong with it.

One thing to note though... if you really want to enjoy driving, you don't but an X6 and argue that it drives better than an X5. You buy M-sedan or M-coupe or even switch over to the dark side But you definitely don't buy an SUV because you want a car that you can drive hard ) Well, you can buy it, but you'll always know that there are way more suitable cars than your X6(M) for that...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #51
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
One thing to note though... if you really want to enjoy driving, you don't but an X6 and argue that it drives better than an X5. You buy M-sedan or M-coupe or even switch over to the dark side But you definitely don't buy an SUV because you want a car that you can drive hard ) Well, you can buy it, but you'll always know that there are way more suitable cars than your X6(M) for that...
I really enjoy driving and driving in a 'really spirited' manner (the polite way of putting it). No matter how much I enjoy an M-sedan or coupe, there is no way I'd purposefully drive with my rear that close to the ground anymore. Once I discovered the power of the elevated view and 4wd, I never want to go back.

Given my driving style and my preference for an SUV, I want an SUV with the best driving experience possible. (For me, driving experience includes awesome electronics, which totally negates Porsche. I wish they would man up and get with the program.)

BTW: Since my X6 was so rudely removed from me and I'd rather not walk, I'm driving a well-used Acura sedan right now until my new F16 comes in and I'm hating every minute of it (3mo so far and 3.5 to go). Its a nice car and all: it has good power and handling, but I just can't see what's going on in traffic. Urg.

It drives a lot better than the Ford Escape rental that I had for a month though (not 4wd). The only time it handled well was when I was driving in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #52
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Agree with @Barbja, as much as I love sedans and other fast cars. I won't be able to enjoy it as much as my X5.
I would love to get an M5 or M6, but then why would I get a sport sedan which I can't track.
Then it brings up to the attention an M3 or M4, they are nice, but the quality is not up to par.
For the price of M3/M4, I would get myself a Porsche 911.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #53
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Actually, there are two BMW cars that I'd consider giving up my X for: an i8 (although those doors scream 'look at me!' a little too much), and an Alpina B6. That B6 is bee-you-tiful, its an XDrive, and must have special super-powers -- oh ya.

But for me, both of those cars are way above the threshold of car-purchasing pain. My X already cost more than my first house (yes, it was a long time ago). That extra $50k (plus options!) seems a little wasteful.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #54
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
I really enjoy driving and driving in a 'really spirited' manner (the polite way of putting it). No matter how much I enjoy an M-sedan or coupe, there is no way I'd purposefully drive with my rear that close to the ground anymore. Once I discovered the power of the elevated view and 4wd, I never want to go back.

Given my driving style and my preference for an SUV, I want an SUV with the best driving experience possible. (For me, driving experience includes awesome electronics, which totally negates Porsche. I wish they would man up and get with the program.)

BTW: Since my X6 was so rudely removed from me and I'd rather not walk, I'm driving a well-used Acura sedan right now until my new F16 comes in and I'm hating every minute of it (3mo so far and 3.5 to go). Its a nice car and all: it has good power and handling, but I just can't see what's going on in traffic. Urg.

It drives a lot better than the Ford Escape rental that I had for a month though (not 4wd). The only time it handled well was when I was driving in a straight line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Agree with @Barbja, as much as I love sedans and other fast cars. I won't be able to enjoy it as much as my X5.
I would love to get an M5 or M6, but then why would I get a sport sedan which I can't track.
Then it brings up to the attention an M3 or M4, they are nice, but the quality is not up to par.
For the price of M3/M4, I would get myself a Porsche 911.
Quote:
Actually, there are two BMW cars that I'd consider giving up my X for: an i8 (although those doors scream 'look at me!' a little too much), and an Alpina B6. That B6 is bee-you-tiful, its an XDrive, and must have special super-powers -- oh ya.

But for me, both of those cars are way above the threshold of car-purchasing pain. My X already cost more than my first house (yes, it was a long time ago). That extra $50k (plus options!) seems a little wasteful.
Agreed with everything you guys said! That's why I love SUVs more as well @barbja...been driving them all my life - out of the 6 cars we have, 5 are SUVs. My FX35 saved my life 3 times in accidents: 2 deer head on collision at 40-50mph with no damage and 1 time where I passed out on Lakeshore drive due to being very ill and by some miracle of God ended up on a large grass field in front of an apartment complex with only a tiny side scrape from another vehicle. I got T-boned as well in my mother's QX56 with little to no damage to the vehicle because the acura integra owner ended up going underneath it's side and damaged his own hood severely at 20-30 mph. It's a piece of mind thing driving in a bigger/stronger vehicle.

Like @barbja said, if I'm going to be in an SUV, I want it to be one that I have the best control and feel in as well as have performance capability if ever need be.
      09-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #55
torpedofx
Rep
Drives: BMW

New x6 pics from Lithuania.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #56
Windy City
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedofx View Post
New x6 pics from Lithuania.
SWEET!

A Lugan in Chicago, say it isn't so!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #57
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

X5 for me

The X6 I love the look. but no diesel option - =(
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #58
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdewd View Post
The X6 I love the look. but no diesel option.
I disliked my E70 35d. I wanted to love it, but I just didn't -- most of my driving ended up in a bad part the power band with that M57 on a 6speed. Soooo disappointing.

I drove an F15 35d and that 8speed xmission made a really big difference. I could see myself getting that combo on an F15.

For an F16, I'd buy an M50d in a heartbeat! Hey BMW, just shoot a couple out the door and we'll quietly drive off with them "by accident".
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #59
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

=0

Here you on this.. 2013 was my first diesel. only have 7k on the ODO .. Im ordering one loaded up... just cause I wanted everything... and this one altho has many options.. has the 6 spd etc..has MC seats, better sound etc. just want a few more dumb options.. like soft close doors.. life's too short to close doors. =)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #60
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

How are the lease prices in comparison to X5? Does X6 have better residual?
      09-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #61
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdewd View Post
.. just want a few more dumb options.. like soft close doors.. life's too short to close doors. =)
I too am giving them $600 to not close the doors myself. Naysayers be darned!

My son's and my arms are retarded now; we always have to shut the doors 2x on loaners.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #62
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
How are the lease prices in comparison to X5? Does X6 have better residual?
The residual numbers aren't out yet for the 2015 X6. However, residuals on an X6 are usually about the same as an X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #63
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I too am giving them $600 to not close the doors myself. Naysayers be darned!

My son's and my arms are retarded now; we always have to shut the doors 2x on loaners.
Add me to the list of dumb-dumbs who loves soft close doors. Something must be wrong with us, for not having to slam our doors or the nice calm quiet way of shutting our doors tight.
      09-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #64
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The residual numbers aren't out yet for the 2015 X6. However, residuals on an X6 are usually about the same as an X5.
Well, one thing I love is that the Premium Package is not forcing you to get the leather, well mostly because leather seems to be standard in X6. Overall, with same options X5 comes out cheaper, go figure..
      09-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #65
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Well, one thing I love is that the Premium Package is not forcing you to get the leather, well mostly because leather seems to be standard in X6. Overall, with same options X5 comes out cheaper, go figure..
I think if you go for a stripper, an F15 will come out significantly less than an F16. However, my car is 'highly optioned' and the exact same config on a F15 35d was only about $1500 or so cheaper. (The $1500 F15+1 option!) We unanimously voted for the F16 after that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #66
Windy City
Private
Rep

When I sat with the engineer's from Munich a few weeks ago, I congratulated them on the soft close doors. Prior to having them I thought, "Geeze what a stupid option".

Post ownership I can't stand that my other vehicles are without.

Funny when I told the room full that I though my X6 M was the best vehicle on the road today, every one of them had a sheepish smirk on their face.

Underdogs rock!
Appreciate 0