BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

New Order and SAT Radio questions

I am trying to configure a new order and wanted to know how do I get Satellite radio without buying the premium package. I don't care about 4 zone climate, and key-less entry.

I see that the vehicle comes "pre-wired" for satellite, but there is not option for Satellite radio by itself. Premium package is $2550, but includes the leather interion. so what do I do just bite the bullet and go with premium?

what do you guys think. Also any other must have options I am missing?

My X5 xDrive35d Details
======================
TwinPower Turbo 6-cylinder in-line, 3.0 liter engine
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
======================
BASE MSRP
$57,000
Luxury Line $1,600
Mineral Silver Metallic $550
Terra Dakota Leather $1,450
Poplar Wood Trim $0
Cold Weather Package $550
Driver Assistance Plus $1,900
• Driver Assistance Package $1,400
• ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,200
Harman Kardon surround sound system $875
Space-saver spare $150
Destination & Handling $950

Total MSRP as Built $67,625
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Heads Up Display (HUD) especially as you have ACC. You can see your ACC settings, speed, incoming calls, phone book, songs in playlist (not plural) you are on, stations, not to mention navigation directions on your screen. You will wonder how you lived without it.

Coding allows other minor features to be added to HUD.

NJ...winter package if you like cooler cabin and warmer bottom and backside for everyone.

Good luck...have fun with it....my only advice, regardless of price, many options cannot be added later for any practical cost and effort.
      09-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

If you're going to create a $67K build it might be weird not having Prem Pkg. But to each his own. I'm not a fan of Prem Pkg either and all I want is the Comfort Access which should be standard at this price point. If you want Sat Radio you will have to bite that proverbial bullet, unfortunately.

My guess is that you will have several members urge you to get the light pkg but it might just be a costly unnecessary upgrade especially since the car already comes with corona DRLs and xenons.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Heads Up Display (HUD) especially as you have ACC. You can see your ACC settings, speed, incoming calls, phone book, songs in playlist (not plural) you are on, stations, not to mention navigation directions on your screen. You will wonder how you lived without it.

NJ...winter package if you like cooler cabin and warmer bottom and backside for everyone.

Good luck...have fun with it....my only advice, regardless of price, many options cannot be added later for any practical cost and effort.
HUD and rear view cam is in DAP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Do you really need • ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,200? (you can still have Active Driving Assistance in DA and DA+)
And you are already paying $1450 for Dakota leather.
When removed these two you can definitely get premium package which adds leather back in your vehicle and comes with 1 year sat.
I am sorry I don't want to create confusion but that's what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Do you really need • ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,200? (you can still have Active Driving Assistance in DA and DA+)
And you are already paying $1450 for Dakota leather.
When removed these two you can definitely get premium package which adds leather back in your vehicle and comes with 1 year sat.
I am sorry I don't want to create confusion but that's what I would do.
For driving in the NYC congested highways the ACC stop and go is a must have.
It looks like I need to go premium since I would have to spend about $900 - $1000 for the dealer to add a SAT radio anyway.

The lighting package is very nice, but I don't drive that much at night.

I am going with LUX as I do not want to go more than 19" wheels due to the rough roads here and pothole damage is very likely. the 19s come with all season tires which I need.

Please continue to add suggestions as I am just trying to get my order shaped up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney
Quote:

HUD and rear view cam is in DAP.
To quote a wiser man, doh. I take all I said but winter pkg back.
      09-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To quote a wiser man, doh. I take all I said but winter pkg back.
Winter package is a must have for me. I hope the heated steering wheel feature works well in the X5. Now when I get back to the car in winter from work the steering wheel on my Volvo feels like holding onto ice cubes!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
Winter package is a must have for me. I hope the heated steering wheel feature works well in the X5. Now when I get back to the car in winter from work the steering wheel on my Volvo feels like holding onto ice cubes!!
Unlike the prior generation, the button for the heated steering is not conveniently located, and sits on the side next to the steering position adjustment button. But it does work well; you feel the warmth within 30 seconds.
      09-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

One option I would highly recommend is doing the PC delivery. If you can afford the time to drive back to NJ it is well worth the effort. It gives you an idea what the x5 is capable of plus the plant tour and "hot lap" are pretty awesome.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unlike the prior generation, the button for the heated steering is not conveniently located, and sits on the side next to the steering position adjustment button. But it does work well; you feel the warmth within 30 seconds.
It would be great if they made some of the more common function available on a touch screen. I hear the 2016 ML and GLK will have touch screens.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

Ask your dealer about the SAT radio. It used to be and may still be true that SAT radio was built into all F10 and probably X5 cars and only needed a BMW activation code (not the SiriusXM code) to turn it on. The dealer could do that for a price which was reasonable as it included a one year subscription.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@radarguy I think there is a hardware module for Sat radio still and it is not a coding unlock alone.

As some of you may know I am gathering info to hopefully make a coding library on Google Drive. Found this coding service document, which is fresh (13 SEP 2014), and covers F15. It mentions a retrofit for Satellite radio: F10-11-07-CODE-LIST-TRIPL3_O-CODING-.pdf

<off-topic begins> The document link above also shows coding to activate the Sports+ transmission setting which comes with M Sport -a subject that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. <end of off-topic>

@wjbender, regarding touchscreen... I felt the same as you at first, but having tested a Cayenne for several hours, I found it to be more distracting to have to look at the spot where you would point to touch the screen. At the end, they both offer advantages and disadvantages ...if you have bought, I recommend 30 minutes of practice in a parked to minimize distractions during the learning curve.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-17-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

MattBianco - Yes there is a hardware module, but in the past on the F10 it was part of the radio and required an FSC code to make it work. This is not the same as the coding work that is going on to unlock software features. It may be that the F15 is different, I just don't know, but the dealer should be able tell clear it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #15
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
MattBianco - Yes there is a hardware module, but in the past on the F10 it was part of the radio and required an FSC code to make it work. This is not the same as the coding work that is going on to unlock software features. It may be that the F15 is different, I just don't know, but the dealer should be able tell clear it up.
Since BMW moved from ccc to cic, and cic ng, the hardware for sat radio is in the infotainment computer.

This is for North American cars only. Europe get the DAB hardware instead.

The dealer can unlock it via enabling code.

You certainly shouldn't need to purchase the package to get it,

However I'm not going to tell you what to get, but quite honestly sat radio is complete junk. It sounds terrible and you can stream other radio channels via a smartphone and the tune in app, or bmws own radio app.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
However I'm not going to tell you what to get, but quite honestly sat radio is complete junk. It sounds terrible and you can stream other radio channels via a smartphone and the tune in app, or bmws own radio app.
Hehehe...and I would say the complete opposite as a 10 year satellite radio user. It's one of my first options, after the multi-contour seats. The bit-rates on streaming aren't that great and tend to sound more muffled than satellite, IMO, and I can't stand terrestrial radio because they talk so damn much. Just more proof of "to each their own"

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic
      09-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Hehehe...and I would say the complete opposite as a 10 year satellite radio user. It's one of my first options, after the multi-contour seats. The bit-rates on streaming aren't that great and tend to sound more muffled than satellite, IMO, and I can't stand terrestrial radio because they talk so damn much. Just more proof of "to each their own"

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread topic
Opposite experience here, but it really depends on your streaming source. Most of my streaming sources are at least 128kbps. The phone and app you are using makes a big difference, you can test that by streaming an mp3 via bluetooth to your bmw and checking sound quality, or you can always use AUX jack.
Try TuneIn on your phone, the app allows you to select the streaming bit rate all the way up to 320kbps (if your 4G speed can handle) which is a great quality.

Give this channel a try:
http://tunein.com/radio/Classic-Rock-Stop-s171358/
Make sure you select 128kbps to enjoy the better quality. Oh and if you find a non-stop music channel, there is no talking and it is free!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Opposite experience here, but it really depends on your streaming source. Most of my streaming sources are at least 128kbps. The phone and app you are using makes a big difference, you can test that by streaming an mp3 via bluetooth to your bmw and checking sound quality, or you can always use AUX jack.
Try TuneIn on your phone, the app allows you to select the streaming bit rate all the way up to 320kbps (if your 4G speed can handle) which is a great quality.

Give this channel a try:
http://tunein.com/radio/Classic-Rock-Stop-s171358/
Make sure you select 128kbps to enjoy the better quality. Oh and if you find a non-stop music channel, there is no talking and it is free!
Thanks for the great info! I'll have to give it a try.
      09-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Thanks for the great info! I'll have to give it a try.
You can get the app from your phone's app store, also you can try Nobex radio which gives you all your local channels over internet or other cities local channels (when I was in Las Vegas I couldn't believe how many quality rock channels there were on air, in New York we have only one, so when I got back I started listening to Las Vegas rock radio channels, and it was funny to hear their local commercials) And one last one, which has very good integration with BMW is Rad.io
With Rad.io, pick radio stations and add them to your favorites, now, when paired via bluetooth, you can actually use steering wheel controls to switch channels/stations among your favorites.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #20
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can get the app from your phone's app store, also you can try Nobex radio which gives you all your local channels over internet or other cities local channels (when I was in Las Vegas I couldn't believe how many quality rock channels there were on air, in New York we have only one, so when I got back I started listening to Las Vegas rock radio channels, and it was funny to hear their local commercials) And one last one, which has very good integration with BMW is Rad.io
With Rad.io, pick radio stations and add them to your favorites, now, when paired via bluetooth, you can actually use steering wheel controls to switch channels/stations among your favorites.
This is great - probably will not need SAT radio. Just pair phone and stream via Bluetooth
Appreciate 0