BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

sport mode vs gear selector sport

so i know we have the sport/comfort/eco switch, as well as being able to shift the gear selector to sport mode or a manual shift mode.

i love the sport suspension, but dont always need the sport tranny.

i need to see if there is definition of the sport mode switch vs sport gear selector

right now my sport mode is set for suspension and tranny characteristics.

if i set that to just suspension can i use the gear selector to enable full sport shift and suspension mode???

is there a difference in using the sport switch with the gear selector in normal vs sport settings?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Jouster View Post
so i know we have the sport/comfort/eco switch, as well as being able to shift the gear selector to sport mode or a manual shift mode.

i love the sport suspension, but dont always need the sport tranny.

i need to see if there is definition of the sport mode switch vs sport gear selector

right now my sport mode is set for suspension and tranny characteristics.

if i set that to just suspension can i use the gear selector to enable full sport shift and suspension mode???

is there a difference in using the sport switch with the gear selector in normal vs sport settings?
You can select what changes you want through your sports mode in iDrive. You can keep the tranny setting in normal and move the shifter change it to manual/sports mode. That's how I did with my F25 X3 with dynamic suspension control. May be some with these options in the F15 can confirm this.
      09-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
You can select what changes you want through your sports mode in iDrive. You can keep the tranny setting in normal and move the shifter change it to manual/sports mode. That's how I did with my F25 X3 with dynamic suspension control. May be some with these options in the F15 can confirm this.
but the question lies in something like this

sport switch Tranny/Suspension and sport gear shifter is like sport +++
sport switch Suspension and sport shifter is like sport++

im asking if having a full sport mode tranny/suspension and the shifter in sport is the same as sport mode suspension and shifter in sport? with no tranny sport selection
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Not sure about the F15 but in my F10 the full Sport Mode with the toggle switch is still different from the shifter being popped over to the left in S mode. Sport with Drive mode the trans shifts crisp. Sport with S mode (toggle to the left) the trans shifts almost dct quick and the rpms shift points are slightly higher. It def. shifts quicker because I can hear the exhaust note being different while it shifts.

Alan
      09-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

wellllllll thinking about it now, i guess sport+ is all sporty,
then if i set sport mode to be only suspension, i get the sporty drive but relaxed tranny.

then i can go to sport+ for full sport mode..... so i will have a
-comfort
-sport suspension
-sport+ hell of a beast sport 50i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Oddly my E70 50i felt the quickest in standard mode. When i pulled the shifter into "S" mode it shifted almost too much. The big torque of that V8 is felt more in normal mode i think. Try both and i think you should notice this as well. Especially half throttle from a stop feels a lot more torquey in normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
Oddly my E70 50i felt the quickest in standard mode. When i pulled the shifter into "S" mode it shifted almost too much. The big torque of that V8 is felt more in normal mode i think. Try both and i think you should notice this as well. Especially half throttle from a stop feels a lot more torquey in normal mode.
could be back then but with the new 4.4 there is no way this is possible.....the comfort or "normal" settings are way to lax.....i understand they should be "comfort" but the car needs a full pedal to get up and go.

sport mode is intensely responsive compared to comfort
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine was a 2013. And i am an aggressive driver. I always felt the normal mode worked best on that car. Sport mode had lots of hesitation between shifts and that engine the power falls of after 6k while the sport mode is taking it to redline where its very flat. So the normal mode pulls a taller gear and shifts earlier making it feel like its pulling harder. Probably 0-60 may be a touch quicker in sport setting but the butt dyno says normal mode feels stronger. Try it!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
Mine was a 2013. And i am an aggressive driver. I always felt the normal mode worked best on that car. Sport mode had lots of hesitation between shifts and that engine the power falls of after 6k while the sport mode is taking it to redline where its very flat. So the normal mode pulls a taller gear and shifts earlier making it feel like its pulling harder. Probably 0-60 may be a touch quicker in sport setting but the butt dyno says normal mode feels stronger. Try it!
You mean you never used the manual shifter in DS? Not aggressive enough I usually down shifted a lot when I used sports mode and I also controlled rpm, preventing it from sticking at 6k unnecessarily. It is also amazing taking curves in sport mode in lower gears. I am referring to E70.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
You mean you never used the manual shifter in DS? Not aggressive enough I usually down shifted a lot when I used sports mode and I also controlled rpm, preventing it from sticking at 6k unnecessarily. It is also amazing taking curves in sport mode in lower gears. I am referring to E70.
I did use the paddles a bit at first but really it seemed to run out of steam too quick and felt slower. Turbos make and hold the most boost under load and with that much shifting it seemed like it was not hitting its peak torque to me. It shifts firmer and quicker in sport but also uses every gear when it really does not need to and i don't think it lets the turbos spool as much. 0-60 is probably a touch quicker in sport mode but normal driving the standard mode felt "stronger". You could feel the torque better than in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
The Gear Sport Mode shifts gears a bit later to simulate Manual Transmission but the Sport Mode actually changed Suspension and Traction Settings
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
The Gear Sport Mode shifts gears a bit later to simulate Manual Transmission but the Sport Mode actually changed Suspension and Traction Settings
My E70 50i only had the gear shift selector sport mode. Not like my F15 35d which has actual sport and sport+ modes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #13
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
My E70 50i only had the gear shift selector sport mode. Not like my F15 35d which has actual sport and sport+ modes.
Yeah that was because by then they hadn't introduced these modes on the X5/X6 but as i stated the difference ^ If you want the Extreme Performance then Engage Sport/Sport+ and put the Gear in Sport Mode...
Appreciate 0