BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #67
radrads203
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 30d

I've installed mine today, they look great! and yes it does flicker at start up and every 2 to 3 min or so... but i think i can live with that..thank you Opasha for opening this post
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #68
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrads203 View Post
I've installed mine today, they look great! and yes it does flicker at start up and every 2 to 3 min or so... but i think i can live with that..thank you Opasha for opening this post
You are most welcome .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #69
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

I wonder if someone can catch these "flickers" in video or is the flicker rate is too fast to catch on camera but visible to naked eye.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #70
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I wonder if someone can catch these "flickers" in video or is the flicker rate is too fast to catch on camera but visible to naked eye.
It's fast, but it should be able to be caught on video easily.
      09-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #71
radrads203
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 30d

you guys have to skip it to 20 sec to see the flickering
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #72
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That looks like when my Blackberry blinks when I have a new email.
      09-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #73
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

you guys have to skip it to 20 sec to see the flickering
Thanks for the video post. It blinks like this 3 times very fast at each engine start-up without the coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
That looks like when my Blackberry blinks when I have a new email.
Haha, good analogy.
      09-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #74
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Oh, anytime, my friend . Helping each other out is the purpose of these forums in my humble opinion (there are many helpful members here). Always happy to assist.

Forgot this, but for the flickering error, from all the cars that I have tested including our 2014 ML350, whenever the turn signals, fog lights, or headlights flicker from any aftermarket part, this is usually due to a computer error where the car is sensing a temperature malfunction because the new lights (LED or HID) are drawing less power and that makes the computer think that there is a malfunction in terms of factory settings (sorry for the very long runon sentence, lol). The error should pop up in the CENTER area of your instrument cluster with some light - then if there's no detailed message there, go into your vehicle info in the iDrive menu and see if there are any errors there.

Also, they talk in detail about why the flickering occurs and how to solve it with the solution I mentioned; that's why I posted those settings in the first place just in case it happened for us - I always research before I buy : http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=928778

In all honesty coding doesn't cost much at all. Total cost truly is just from the ENET cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-Et...3D201056990534. That's the one I bought. And many members have asked about the whole learning of coding and I've assisted them on where to start. If you want to learn, let me know. I'll PM you the information. I learned recently myself after getting help from fellow coders. If you at least download the software that comes with the ENET cable (the seller emails a download link), I can help you remotely via Team Viewer. Coding the lights I wouldn't even charge anything.

However, if you really don't have the time/means for this process, just call up bimmian. They were pretty courteous to me when I had questions about my tracking and when I first ordered. I'm almost positive there's a refund policy within the first 2-4 weeks depending. I know for a fact that there's no way you could have damaged the lights, so you should be able to send them back. Let me know what you decide to do, and I'll try to assist you further.
Hey opasha,

Been reading this post and I plan to do some coding with my X5 (adaptive headlights, remote open/close tailgate).

I don't use ebay to buy, but I want to purchase that ethernet cable to connect the X5. I found this cable http://www.amazon.com/Interface-Ethe.../dp/B00BFRW6FO on amazon and was wondering if its the same or similar to the one you use.

Also, what other common coding modifications can be done that are popular with the F15?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #75
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

That looks like the correct cable. Best wait for somebody else to confirm though!

Regarding coding - see Opasha's very helpful coding thread:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #76
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
That looks like the correct cable. Best wait for somebody else to confirm though!

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #77
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
Hey opasha,

Been reading this post and I plan to do some coding with my X5 (adaptive headlights, remote open/close tailgate).

I don't use ebay to buy, but I want to purchase that ethernet cable to connect the X5. I found this cable http://www.amazon.com/Interface-Ethe.../dp/B00BFRW6FO on amazon and was wondering if its the same or similar to the one you use.

Also, what other common coding modifications can be done that are popular with the F15?

Thanks.
That seems fine to me. Just make sure you get your PSDZData files and ESYS software because I do not know whether that seller will give you that information or not. You might need to PM @r33.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post

Thanks for answering him, @mrwilby .
      09-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #78
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Or you guys can always buy the cable from me.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #79
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Oh awesome. I didn't know you carried OBD2 cables, so I just referred everyone to where I bought mine originally and was satisfied with it. I'm a creature of habit .
      09-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #80
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Oh awesome. I didn't know you carried OBD2 cables, so I just referred everyone to where I bought mine originally and was satisfied with it. I'm a creature of habit .

I try not to solicite much.
But I personally build the cable and test them 1 by 1.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #81
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I try not to solicite much.
But I personally build the cable and test them 1 by 1.
This is exactly what I thought, it should not be very hard to build the wires, the problem is having to test them all the time and make sure they are built properly, otherwise all it does is just 8 pins to be soldered to the end of ethernet cable, right? Not trying to say it's very easy, but when I received the cable from ebay I couldn't believe it was so simple.

Now, I think we can also use this cable for other OBDII diagnostics, right? Do you know if there is a software for the PC that we can use?
      10-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #82
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately no. The pin-out for OBDII diagnostics would be different as they are usually using serial port / USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
This is exactly what I thought, it should not be very hard to build the wires, the problem is having to test them all the time and make sure they are built properly, otherwise all it does is just 8 pins to be soldered to the end of ethernet cable, right? Not trying to say it's very easy, but when I received the cable from ebay I couldn't believe it was so simple.

Now, I think we can also use this cable for other OBDII diagnostics, right? Do you know if there is a software for the PC that we can use?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #83
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no. The pin-out for OBDII diagnostics would be different as they are usually using serial port / USB.

I see. Thanks.
Edit: ScanGaugeII uses RJ45. Does it also work as diagnostics or strictly stats? I think $200 for just stats is too much.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Auto...dp/B000AAMY86/
      10-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #84
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. Thanks.
Edit: ScanGaugeII uses RJ45. Does it also work as diagnostics or strictly stats? I think $200 for just stats is too much.

That ScanGaugeII also work as diagnostics.
They use the RJ45 type connector, but not the same configuration as the Coding cable.
For that price, if you have 35i with N55, the JB4 Stage 2 can also run diagnostics and clear codes since it is connected to the CAN Bus.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #85
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I see. Thanks.

I'm assuming you want something like this STRICTLY for convenience. Otherwise, ESYS clears all DTCs very easily without entering your token password (which I will explain in the video), and it allows you to read diagnostics (I haven't really tested this because I would just clear the codes or learn about why something specific was going wrong and ask someone more knowledge about the solution like Shawn Sheridan).
      10-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #86
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That ScanGaugeII also work as diagnostics.
They use the RJ45 type connector, but not the same configuration as the Coding cable.
For that price, if you have 35i with N55, the JB4 Stage 2 can also run diagnostics and clear codes since it is connected to the CAN Bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I'm assuming you want something like this STRICTLY for convenience. Otherwise, ESYS clears all DTCs very easily without entering your token password (which I will explain in the video), and it allows you to read diagnostics (I haven't really tested this because I would just clear the codes or learn about why something specific was going wrong and ask someone more knowledge about the solution like Shawn Sheridan).

Thanks for the information both of you, I am not interested in clearing codes but just wanted see if I can use the coding cable for other situations like decoding the CEL when it's not giving me information on the iDrive.
      10-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #87
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information both of you, I am not interested in clearing codes but just wanted see if I can use the coding cable for other situations like decoding the CEL when it's not giving me information on the iDrive.
Oh, decoding CEL of course you can as long as you are using the E-Sys software, but as @opasha mentioned, I also never tried it.
If you are using other OBDII software, it uses different port.
I thought you were talking about using the E-Sys cable for different diagnostics software.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #88
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, decoding CEL of course you can as long as you are using the E-Sys software, but as @opasha mentioned, I also never tried it.
If you are using other OBDII software, it uses different port.
I thought you were talking about using the E-Sys cable for different diagnostics software.
Just as Ben mentioned, you can do this with ESYS. There are about 20 or so options in the Transmitter Diagnostic Tool. One or two of them deal strictly with reading your CEL/other errors. As to what that shows, I have no clue. Perhaps @shawnsheridan can help us out here.

Last edited by opasha; 10-29-2014 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0