09-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I think there is a formula about this predicament ....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #24
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
why not have both x5 n x6, all u have to do is upgrade x3 to x5
To me, having 2 SUV's is like having a wife and a mistress that look exactly the same. Now, I don't cheat, won't cheat, never have cheated. But if I were going to, it would be for something different lol.

The X5 and X6 are far too similar to have both, IMO. What joy would there be going from one to the other? I love driving both of our cars. One is smaller and faster, one has a bigger presence on the road and sits higher (not to mention roomier inside). I drive my wife's X5 as much as my 335 for that reason. When we're both home, I'll rarely leave the house twice in a row on the same day with the same car lol.

Last edited by chrisny; 09-12-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Hahaha ...as if she'd even know what a mod is...jk
Hey, some girls know about mods!

From the mod pov: at least the pipes don't scream to be changed on this one. My last one acquired square pipes before it was a week old!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I think there is a formula about this predicament ....
if ((wife=happy),kids=0)), X6 > X5
Well, this depends on how many kids and how old. From my own testing with 3 kids (my son and his cousins), I can tell you that older ones prefer the X6. I took them to a showroom and made them go between the two cars (THAT was a fun day ). The X6 won hands down.

The X6s rear seats are more comfortable than the X5s. If the kids insist on the same position at all times, then two or less would be appropriate for the X6. For us, since no one wants to sit in the middle in any car anyway, they have to rotate. When on the outside, they want to sit in those comfy bucket-like seats.

Those kids are all almost adult sized now 14/14/17 and no one complains (except about the A/C, but that happened in my X5 too and my sister's MDX). The farthest that we have gone with all 3 in the back was a 4hrs to the coast.

However, I expect that car seats would be very problematic. The rear doors don't open as far on an X6 as they do on an X5 so I think it would be a problem putting kids in/out of car seats. I haven't had to use a car seat since my E53; with my E70 then E71 my son was 9+ so I'm not 100% sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Need space? X5
Don't need space? X6
Trunk and rear seat will be limited on the X6.
From experiencing the new X6 earlier this week, I can tell you that the rear seat in the new one has more room than the E71. However, if you put 3 back there I do think that the middle person may be unhappy unless they're small. (I'm still going to put all 3 back there unless one of them wants to ride on the roof or walk, they're going to have to deal.)

The trunk space under the cargo cover (actually under the top of the rear seats) is exactly the same on an X6 as the X5. I know this because I'm a packing nazi and I could get the exact same stuff in the exact same configuration in my X6 as I did my E70 X5 -- more than my E53. The missing space is when you start straying your packing above the top of the rear seats (not the headrests).

Everyone's situation is different, but I was never not able to get something from one place to another because of the size of my rear cargo area (furniture, rocks, mulch, bicycles, whatever), EXCEPT a TV that had to be transported upright. However, I had the exact same problem with a similar TV in my X5 (and a hose reel too -- how odd).

So, if you frequently travel with stuff protruding over the top of the rear seats (which I never do because I want to see out my rear window), then an X5 is the better choice. If you don't, then an X6 will perform exactly the same as an X5 in the rear storage arena.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Front head room, 2.5 inches is a lot of space.
Rear shoulder room, 3 inches is not a big difference unless you usually have 3 passengers, if you do, or if you have 2+Child Seat, than it's a problem. With 50 or 70 rated child seats, I barely fit two adult passengers in the back, 3 inches less could be a problem in long drives.

Not sure about the floor to roof cargo space on X6 but it sure looks small because of that coupe curve. I don't think you can stand up luggage like you can on F15.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
It depends as some members mentioned on how you plan to use your car.
The X5 is more family-oriented and if you're planning on having kids in the near future then the X5 would be the better investment.
However the X6 is definitely going to be more fun to drive and would probably handle much better. If you're interested in performance then you should go for the X6.
The X6 is growing on me too, kind of making me wonder if I got the X5 too early..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #29
torpedofx
Rep
Drives: BMW

Go get X6 if you really want it. We have one 2yr old and plan on 2nd child so I bought my wife a minivan and I'm getting new X6 for myself .
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #30
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Hey, some girls know about mods!

From the mod pov: at least the pipes don't scream to be changed on this one. My last one acquired square pipes before it was a week old!
LOL, I respect you and all women that know cars, Barb. My comment was not directed at females...only Britney ...that has to be fair to some degree regarding her, no? Or is that too mean?
      09-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL, I respect you and all women that know cars, Barb. My comment was not directed at females...only Britney ...that has to be fair to some degree regarding her, no? Or is that too mean?
Um, like, no. Nevermind .

She is pretty crazy though. Who knows what goes on behind those garage doors!
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm.. M4 would be more tempting than the X6.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Hmm.. M4 would be more tempting than the X6.
Yeah........but X6 is safer, lol.
      09-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #34
Chloros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Just my opinion but i opted for the X5 because the X6 looks like an egg to me. I expect Mork from Ork (honor to the late Robin Williams) to step out of one and say "nano nano".
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #35
YS1978
The Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
why not have both x5 n x6, all u have to do is upgrade x3 to x5
18/36 lease in mexico
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #36
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I shall vicariously enjoy your car, seeing your pics, if you get an X6. Wanted one since seeing it in Japan when it was first released. Wife is the driver and she said NO.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #37
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I do like my F15, but i think F16 will drive a lot, a lot better. With kids the only pontential issue that i noticed is that in the x6 they have to be bigger to look outside, my son could not see outside bcs of raised door in the back. Wife mega oppossed another one as we are planning to have more kids. New X6 is u fortunately less distinctive than X5 (compared to E70 vs E71) but as mentioned earlier will drive better and have more presence. Even now when i see E71 i look twice at the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #38
GTAbimmerowner
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport

I've been meaning to post something about this for a while. I simply don't understand why anyone would want the X6. Personally I don't find it an attractive vehicle. It is very impracticable too. There's less trunk space than the X5, rear visibility is brutal and it has less, or no, off road capability. It's also more expensive and I just can't figure out why.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but right now there isn't a single part of me that would ever consider an X6 over an X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #39
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

easy for me, i am 6'3 and cant fit in the x6....i thought they had same headroom but over 2 inches less.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #40
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAbimmerowner View Post
I've been meaning to post something about this for a while. I simply don't understand why anyone would want the X6. Personally I don't find it an attractive vehicle. It is very impracticable too. There's less trunk space than the X5, rear visibility is brutal and it has less, or no, off road capability. It's also more expensive and I just can't figure out why.

Maybe someone can enlighten me but right now there isn't a single part of me that would ever consider an X6 over an X5.
I suspect that you've never driven one or popped open the hatch to actually look at the trunk space, eh?

I've already addressed the trunk space in this thread. I've owned two X5s and one X6. For me, the usable trunk space is Precisely the same between an E70 and an E71. It's way more than an E53.

For rear visibility: I've driven BMW sedan loaners that have way worse rear visibility and no one disparages them on that point. Also, if you do a PCD, they teach you how to set your side mirrors properly for blind spots. I've had way fewer close calls in my X6 than any other car that I've ever owned (quite a few over more years than I care to admit). In the Acura that I'm driving now, when I look over my shoulder all I see is B pillar and the side of my seat. And those stupid side mirrors are small. And I'm close to the ground. I can't wait to get out of that car to my F16 in 4mo so that I can see again.

It's not as much more expensive in the F form as the E form. For the build that I wanted, the F16 was only $1800 more expensive. In the base model, what you get over the X5 are the LCD instrument cluster, leather is standard and a hands-free hatch (whatever else I didn't pay attention to). In E form, the spread was much larger. A whole lot of that was because torque vectoring was standard on the E71 and you couldn't even get that on an E70.

For the ride: the seating position is more sporty (for lack of a better term), the canter of gravity is a little lower, and it weighs a little less. You put DHP on that puppy (or adaptive drive) and that thing rides on rails. Is it a sports car? No. But it certainly handles better than an X5. For a person that drives, well, not daintily, that's a really good thing.

So, coming from someone who has owned X5s for 9y and an X6 for three, are you inclined to believe me or some magazine reviewer that has driven the car for 4hrs then regurgitated the comparative specs on paper? Or: haters are just gonna hate.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #41
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I suspect that you've never driven one or popped open the hatch to actually look at the trunk space, eh?

I've already addressed the trunk space in this thread. I've owned two X5s and one X6. For me, the usable trunk space is Precisely the same between an E70 and an E71. It's way more than an E53.

For rear visibility: I've driven BMW sedan loaners that have way worse rear visibility and no one disparages them on that point. Also, if you do a PCD, they teach you how to set your side mirrors properly for blind spots. I've had way fewer close calls in my X6 than any other car that I've ever owned (quite a few over more years than I care to admit). In the Acura that I'm driving now, when I look over my shoulder all I see is B pillar and the side of my seat. And those stupid side mirrors are small. And I'm close to the ground. I can't wait to get out of that car to my F16 in 4mo so that I can see again.

It's not as much more expensive in the F form as the E form. For the build that I wanted, the F16 was only $1800 more expensive. In the base model, what you get over the X5 are the LCD instrument cluster, leather is standard and a hands-free hatch (whatever else I didn't pay attention to). In E form, the spread was much larger. A whole lot of that was because torque vectoring was standard on the E71 and you couldn't even get that on an E70.

For the ride: the seating position is more sporty (for lack of a better term), the canter of gravity is a little lower, and it weighs a little less. You put DHP on that puppy (or adaptive drive) and that thing rides on rails. Is it a sports car? No. But it certainly handles better than an X5. For a person that drives, well, not daintily, that's a really good thing.

So, coming from someone who has owned X5s for 9y and an X6 for three, are you inclined to believe me or some magazine reviewer that has driven the car for 4hrs then regurgitated the comparative specs on paper? Or: haters are just gonna hate.
Nice detailed comparison. I think everyone truly has different perspectives when we compare and contrast vehicles. For me, speaking strictly from the perspective of driving performance, if I want to get as close of a ride to my FX35, the X6 is the way to go. Like you said, it's lower to the ground, lighter, and with DHP, it will handle AMAZINGLY. I'm 6 feet tall, and I think for me alone it would be great. You might just be right about the trunk space not being sacrificed...so that leaves the area that does get sacrificed...the rear cabin. I sat in the e71 at the dealer before buying our F15 and the thing that stuck out to me the most was how little rear space there was especially in head room. I don't think people that are around my height would be very comfortable in an F16 with 4-5 people if it's similar in size to the E71. That's just my humble opinion .

So yes, it's really based on individual taste/preference...what works for someone may not work for another. I love my F15 for the extra room. It's just nice to know it's there when you need it. If you let me drive an F16, would I? Absolutely. Would I buy it? Practically speaking, no.
      09-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #42
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So yes, it's really based on individual taste/preference...what works for someone may not work for another. I love my F15 for the extra room. It's just nice to know it's there when you need it. If you let me drive an F16, would I? Absolutely. Would I buy it? Practically speaking, no.
That's a much better reasoning than "its stupid and I hate it and you're stupid if you get one too." Ok, so he didn't say that directly, but it definitely sounded like that. You usually get that statement from people whose closest experience with an X6 is one driving by on the street.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #43
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

When talking about opinions on vehicles, people are skewed by preconceived notions and their own individual circumstances.

"Drivability" is different from practicality or sportiness, whatever.

Very few people can delineate overall satisfaction because their individual needs weigh on their opinions.

I have both a 2014 X6 M and a 2014 X5 and I like certain things about each vehicle that the other doesn't have. So depending on what item holds more water to someone would change their "happiness factor".

I will say this, for aggressive driving enjoyment, the X6 M wins hands down. There is no comparison here.

Not just between the 2 vehicle but up against most anything in production today. Definitely it beats anything "in its class", which is a loaded phrase.

No matter how hard you push it, it screams back at you, "Is this all you got?"
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #44
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
When talking about opinions on vehicles, people are skewed by preconceived notions and their own individual circumstances.

"Drivability" is different from practicality or sportiness, whatever.

Very few people can delineate overall satisfaction because their individual needs weigh on their opinions.

I have both a 2014 X6 M and a 2014 X5 and I like certain things about each vehicle that the other doesn't have. So depending on what item holds more water to someone would change their "happiness factor".

I will say this, for aggressive driving enjoyment, the X6 M wins hands down. There is no comparison here.

Not just between the 2 vehicle but up against most anything in production today. Definitely it beats anything "in its class", which is a loaded phrase.

No matter how hard you push it, it screams back at you, "Is this all you got?"
Reading this thread is interesting with all the previous suppositions and predictions based on something - maybe reading published BMW stats. Its good that you actually have experience in both. For me, I would like to know more of the why. For example, you state it handles better, hands down. That's a blanket statement with no explanation and it sounds like they are two completely different vehicles. Specifically, why? Are both your vehicles equally outfitted in suspension options? Are the tires the same? If so, then its a better comparison.

Most likely, as models and technology improve, the newer, more expensive model is more forgiving (because the car does all the hard work), thereby giving the illusion it handles better. Anyway, we're talking about 5,000+ lb luxury SUV's which is interesting. What pushed me away from newer Porsche's was the stability management that they recommended remain on. Basically, point the car, firewall the pedal, and off you go. For me, this is not driving. For me, feeling the road, feeling the personality of the car, feeling the suspension give and take on, knowing how and when to add the throttle and so on is fun.

My X5 has the M sport suspension with nothing more than springs, shocks and big anti-sway bars. If you enjoy driving, this big SUV is a lot of fun, and will be for a lot of time. If I want enhanced or supplemented handling, like I did yesterday, I get in my wife's SL550 with adaptive handling engineered from the F1 cars, and tear up the twisties with very few, if any cars, competing. For me, technology does not always mean better - it's personal. Also, when my SL has a suspension problem, it is $1,000's of dollars where the X5 will mean me buying a shock and two or three hours later, it's ready to go (I own both - no leases). The SL requires an $1800 shock on each corner and about 4 hours per shock of MB shop time with a computer as well as recharging the high pressure pump, lines, accumulators, distribution blocks and so on.

Technology has a price and the costs escalate outside of warranty.

Anyway, I have no interest in an X6, am completely comfortable in my X5 purchase and have no opinion about X6's stats or characteristics. I appreciate you starting a conversation with facts comparing the two.