BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Range Rover Sport vs. X5

Just wondering if any of you considered purchasing the new Range Rover Sport before you pulled the trigger on your X5. Right now I'm deciding between getting a loaded X5 35d with the M Sport Package (75k) vs the Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 (90k). Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

You should probably be comparing x5 50i vs RRS supercharged. X5 is faster while RRS has more refined interior. BMW wins hands down in cabin tech. Personally I think X5 looks amazing with good set of wheels.

As for driving dynamic, it's subjective but I still prefer the X5 as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are a lot of threads on the topic.

Personally, I think a RRS sport body and transmission paired with X5 interior and engine would be my ideal.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
JoshuaKM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I guess I find myself conflicted because both vehicles have their shortcomings. RRS is incredibly capable and has a great interior but the cabin tech is so unbelievably terrible.

Is there any reason to upgrade to the X5 50i over the diesel? I assume the low end torque is all you need unless you're trying to drag race a corvette.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

I have the diesel and I haven't regretted it yet.

When I was looking in June for a car, the local RR dealer said I can put a deposit on one and then it comes in 6-9 months later, I can test drive the one I order. Needless to say that was a show stopper.

The other thing to think about is how absurd the thought of "RR and good reliability" come in the same sentence.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I almost bought the RR sport but the center console area hit my knee, no heads up display, super slow working touch screen and no idrive knob type controller... I could not do it. That said, its a monster of a truck! Massive power with the SC V8. Very very nice handling and just crazy powerful and sounds amazing. Looks the part too. Great vehicle if you are not used to BMWs awesome cabin tech which won me over once again. I was after another 50i and decided i'd give the 35d a try and i fell in love. I have an F10 M5 to fill my need for speed so it worked out great with the 35d. I ordered mine and it came in 2 weeks only. The RR sport was going to take 3-4 months and no discount. My 35d stickered at 85500 and the RR sport was 98ish but the 24 month lease was 2x for the RRS.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

I have four v8 vehicles and just picked up a 35d on september 8th at the factory. I love it more and more each day. We are at 718 miles, we got back from SC with half a tank and i toped it off, but we have not added fuel since the 8th and we have little less than half tank. In sport mode is is very satisfying. I loved the 50i we test drove, but I am happy with what we decided on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

No, they are nice, but have too many problems. Good luck with your decision.
      09-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I actually did consider the RR sport V6 supercharged before going to the X5.
I went and got quotations until I suddenly thought why would I get a V6 when I can get a better all-round offer from BMW.
I'd say if you would go for the V8 supercharged RRS you'd be better off comparing it with a V8 X5.
I think the X5 is more practical and powerful that is why I went with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

It is "a" another brand to look at, but doesn't worth the money.
I would save the money and not even buy a car if you don't like the X5, but RR is the only other option.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Buy the RR if you like visiting the RR dealer, a lot.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

X5 M is just around the corner to hit dealer showrooms as early as December, production starts January 2015
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
In Australia, it RR has been priced way over the top. X5 is the real deal in terms of value for money... very well packaged with options. RR in sports trim had some road presence over the E70 but the F15 has nailed it and looks a lot more luxurious in standard trim especially in pure. The sports trim kind of dulls the look of the F15 IMO. I am extremely happy with the decision we made to get the 30d with HK/Sun roof/Sports seat, 20" wheels to name a few.

I use to own a Land Rover Discovery before we bought our first E53 X5 in 2002, and had terrible experience in terms of service. Don't know whether this has changed.

My 2c.
      09-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Buy the RR if you like visiting the RR dealer, a lot.

+1
Plus their service contract is poor (sometimes they don't even give you one).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKM View Post
Just wondering if any of you considered purchasing the new Range Rover Sport before you pulled the trigger on your X5. Right now I'm deciding between getting a loaded X5 35d with the M Sport Package (75k) vs the Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 (90k). Thoughts?
I hope you ask the same in the two major Land Rover forums as well.

I cannot help but express my bias however.

I am willing to bet you will get convincing arguments as to why RR is a better vehicle, has true off-road in its DNA, is more luxurious, uses more aluminum panels, etc. and that reliability is a trade-off for using components and technologies that wear faster but provide provide better performance....and some of those comments are true. They will even remind you that all over Africa Land Rovers run the continent (when they are really sprung out for photo opps as Toyotas run the continent).

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-20-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

If you're going to lease, forget the RR. The leasing rates on that truck are absolutely horrible. A comparable MSRP truck that would lease from BMW for 1000 a month would be 1500+ for a RR. Just a totally terrible deal.

I had the RRS-SC for a few days before deciding on the X5. It's a hoot to drive. Fast as hell and nice solid feel inside the car. However, it's a "straight line only" vehicle, it can't turn close to the way an X5 can (and I don't even have the DHP suspension, just the M sport).

Also, the RRS-SC is just laughably bad on gas. If you drive it hard, expect single digits for gas mileage. My wife, on her drive to work (now, she does drive hard, and there's a lot of stop lights on this route) got 8 MPG. In the X5d, she's getting 27 on the same route.

And finally, the RRS, as others have mentioned, has technology from the stone age compared to the X5. It's just comically bad. And this is coming from someone who owns a Jag (which is also comically bad). The X5 just blows the RRS away in this department, it's not even a competition.

The one thing about the RRS, it's apparently so hot that you can buy one, drive it for a year, and then sell it back for nearly what you paid for it. This is a market dislocation, and, eventually, will not be the case. But we did consider doing this; problem is, you'd have to eat all the sales tax if you went this route (and, on an 80-90K truck, that's not a small number).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
mswanson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35d

I drove a x5 diesel for 3 years and then bought the new ('14) RRS last December. I'd always loved the styling of the RRS, and the re-do incl. the lighter aluminum body finally got me to pull the trigger. I'm selling it 10 months later. 5-6 little quality issues, and the slow and counterintuitive touchscreen, a heated windshield that is TERRIBLY distracting at night (tiny filaments that turn every nighttime light into a large halo, for me at least), and a couple other things. Lastly, the used '14 RRSs are selling ar huge premiums, so I'm making the switch back to the x35d w/ M-sport. Never was in love with the x5 styling, but it is a pleasure to drive and navigate the tech menus.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswanson View Post
I drove a x5 diesel for 3 years and then bought the new ('14) RRS last December. I'd always loved the styling of the RRS, and the re-do incl. the lighter aluminum body finally got me to pull the trigger. I'm selling it 10 months later. 5-6 little quality issues, and the slow and counterintuitive touchscreen, a heated windshield that is TERRIBLY distracting at night (tiny filaments that turn every nighttime light into a large halo, for me at least), and a couple other things. Lastly, the used '14 RRSs are selling ar huge premiums, so I'm making the switch back to the x35d w/ M-sport. Never was in love with the x5 styling, but it is a pleasure to drive and navigate the tech menus.
Good move! I hope you enjoy your new X5 . As far as styling goes...the world of possibilities is endless...at least that's what I'll be showing everyone soon .
      10-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
MIBNYC
Rep
Drives: alfa spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I hope you ask the same in the two major Land Rover forums as well.

I cannot help but express my bias however.

I am willing to bet you will get convincing arguments as to why RR is a better vehicle, has true off-road in its DNA, is more luxurious, uses more aluminum panels, etc. and that reliability is a trade-off for using components and technologies that wear faster but provide provide better performance....and some of those comments are true. They will even remind you that all over Africa Land Rovers run the continent (when they are really sprung out for photo opps as Toyotas run the continent).
I did ask . I also asked why BMW maintenance warranty is sooo much better than Land Rover. They told me BMW just offers glorified oil changes and their SUV's are OVERPRICED. When I told them the were full of they booted me out of forum
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBNYC View Post
I did ask . I also asked why BMW maintenance warranty is sooo much better than Land Rover. They told me BMW just offers glorified oil changes and their SUV's are OVERPRICED. When I told them the were full of they booted me out of forum
LOL. That's why I ask prospective buyers to enquire there. It sounds better when you hear it from them directly than from someone here.

Did they use the words off road, aluminium, luxury, Africa?

Last edited by MattBianco; 10-25-2014 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
MIBNYC
Rep
Drives: alfa spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
LOL. That's why I ask prospective buyers to enquire there. It sounds better when you hear it from them directly than from someone here.

Did they use the words off road, aluminium, luxury, Africa?

But of course they did. Leasing is a absolute joke, They want about $1500 for a RRS . What REALLY got them was when I asked that since you consider BMW overpriced over their maintenance warranty does that mean that Land Rovers are UNDERPRICED since they only give you a year ?
Appreciate 0