BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: For you F'15 Owners who've owned E70's...
You like your F'15 more than E70? (why? post it) 84 85.71%
You like your F'15 equal to your E70? (why, post it) 4 4.08%
You like your F'15 less than your E70? (why? post it) 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

09-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #23
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I loved my E70 (50i) but i love the F15 more. Its quite a bit of an upgrade in luxury and technology. The E70 tracked much better on the road though. Steering was more solid. The F15 likes to wander around more and needs more attention to keep between the lanes. I suspect the F15 alignment is the reason. They could have taken out the tiny bit of toe in the E70 had to save fuel and tires but it takes away that sharp feel. I'm going to play with mine and add a touch of front toe in and see if it tracks better. Everything else is better on the F15. Its drastic. And the E70 is amazing on its own so those were big shoes to fill.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
I loved my E70 (50i) but i love the F15 more. Its quite a bit of an upgrade in luxury and technology. The E70 tracked much better on the road though. Steering was more solid. The F15 likes to wander around more and needs more attention to keep between the lanes. I suspect the F15 alignment is the reason. They could have taken out the tiny bit of toe in the E70 had to save fuel and tires but it takes away that sharp feel. I'm going to play with mine and add a touch of front toe in and see if it tracks better. Everything else is better on the F15. Its drastic. And the E70 is amazing on its own so those were big shoes to fill.
I noticed that, too. We had the pleasure of having both our E70 and F15 for a week and as I compared them there were definitely a few things I knew I would miss about the E70. I just handed it back over to BMW NA today and I admit it was a little sad. It was repurchased due to a dealer's many failed attempts to address the VANOS failure issue, but we loved the car and didn't have any intention of selling or trading right now.

They both have/had staggered 20" wheel setups, but I had to return the E70 to stock for turn in so today I drove it with the old non-staggered 19" wheels with the original Bridgestones, and man did it ever drive great. Big tires really are just for looks on these vehicles. For driving characteristics they grab every imperfection in the road and make the steering feel sloppy. I ran into some windy conditions on my 1400 mile drive home with the new F15 and it was a handful. I'm tempted to experiment the same way you are with the front alignment. There's no excuse for that kind of road wander on a brand new set of tires. I bet I could get the dealer to add toe in for free by complaining about/reporting bad driving characteristics in certain conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #25
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
That's the thing.. as SUV's go, the X5, Cayenne, etc.. are intended to give sports sedan like handling and driving experience. But a 6600 lb SUV is never going to be as tight and nimble as an actual sport sedan, let alone a sports car. People get a little carried away IMO and judge these "trucks" a bit too harsh on body roll and steering. It by no means should feel like a Toyota Forerunner, and it doesn't. Steering, handling, body roll, etc are all miles better than a typical SUV. But it also won't, and never was supposed to, give you an M3 driving experience either.. That and it seems to me a lot of people expect too much without even getting the suspension upgrades, or upgrading to an actual X5M or X6M.
6600lbs?!? My lord where did you get that number? The X5 weighs about 4680lbs. Heavy yes, but not Ford F350 heavy. Hell an F350 doesn't even weight that much, lol. More like 6500lbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #26
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee
Quote:
That's the thing.. as SUV's go, the X5, Cayenne, etc.. are intended to give sports sedan like handling and driving experience. But a 6600 lb SUV is never going to be as tight and nimble as an actual sport sedan, let alone a sports car. People get a little carried away IMO and judge these "trucks" a bit too harsh on body roll and steering. It by no means should feel like a Toyota Forerunner, and it doesn't. Steering, handling, body roll, etc are all miles better than a typical SUV. But it also won't, and never was supposed to, give you an M3 driving experience either.. That and it seems to me a lot of people expect too much without even getting the suspension upgrades, or upgrading to an actual X5M or X6M.
6600lbs?!? My lord where did you get that number? The X5 weighs about 4680lbs. Heavy yes, but not Ford F350 heavy. Hell an F350 doesn't even weight that much, lol. More like 6500lbs.
Pretty sure the door jam but may have been somewhere on here.. I'd have to check. Not sure where that number came from or why it was stuck in my head, 8 months ago... Was probably more like the gross not curb weight I guess. Feel free to overreact though, point remains the same at 4680 as well. Sorry to have upset you. Went ahead and fixed it, hope you can rest easy now
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #27
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure the door jam but may have been somewhere on here.. I'd have to check. Not sure where that number came from or why it was stuck in my head, 8 months ago... Was probably more like the gross not curb weight I guess. Feel free to overreact though, point remains the same at 4680 as well. Sorry to have upset you. Went ahead and fixed it, hope you can rest easy now
Oh thanks. I do feel free to overreact. I feel free to react appropriately, too, which is what I did considering you were off by nearly a 3rd; off by nearly an entire additional compact car's worth of weight, which requires a gross misunderstanding of the vehicle class you own. 6500lb vehicles are tanks with 1000ft/lb engines and 14000 towing capacities.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
I noticed that, too. We had the pleasure of having both our E70 and F15 for a week and as I compared them there were definitely a few things I knew I would miss about the E70. I just handed it back over to BMW NA today and I admit it was a little sad. It was repurchased due to a dealer's many failed attempts to address the VANOS failure issue, but we loved the car and didn't have any intention of selling or trading right now.

They both have/had staggered 20" wheel setups, but I had to return the E70 to stock for turn in so today I drove it with the old non-staggered 19" wheels with the original Bridgestones, and man did it ever drive great. Big tires really are just for looks on these vehicles. For driving characteristics they grab every imperfection in the road and make the steering feel sloppy. I ran into some windy conditions on my 1400 mile drive home with the new F15 and it was a handful. I'm tempted to experiment the same way you are with the front alignment. There's no excuse for that kind of road wander on a brand new set of tires. I bet I could get the dealer to add toe in for free by complaining about/reporting bad driving characteristics in certain conditions.
You mean it is not aligned properly or is it just a defect the way F15's are manufactured?
      09-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #29
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee
Quote:
Oh thanks. I do feel free to overreact. I feel free to react appropriately, too, which is what I did considering you were off by nearly a 3rd; off by nearly an entire additional compact car's worth of weight, which requires a gross misunderstanding of the vehicle class you own. 6500lb vehicles are tanks with 1000ft/lb engines and 14000 towing capacities.
You going to be ok princess?

I had the wrong number stuck in my head, either regurgitated, maybe it was the gross (which is 6250 I believe), or maybe I had the towing capacity stuck in my head... Hell, maybe I did have a Yugo stuck in my back pocket and it just felt heavier to me. Having been EIGHT MONTHS since that post, I couldn't tell you, and couldn't possibly care less. As I said, my point, the actual point of the post and the thread, remains valid. Sorry if what is barely more than a typo offended you so much.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #30
chiplee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
You mean it is not aligned properly or is it just a defect the way F15's are manufactured?
Not sure. I was just agreeing with another poster that it seems BMW may have removed toe in for efficiency and caused road wander/sloppy feeling steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #31
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I had a chance to test drive the 50i today, it is really where all engine & transmission improvement shines. Not to say 35i is slow (that's what I ordered anyway) but 50i has a great rumble yet it's quiet inside the cabin.

However, the turbo sound is almost completely gone. I don't know the technical term (the spray-like sound) but that turbo release that I hear on a daily basis on E70 is almost gone, I tried with the windows down, I still cannot hear it.

The steering is light and sadly less responsive. I drove 750Li, 550xi and 5xx D, 335i, X6 (2014) and F15 was the one that had the least responsive steering. 5 series still has a lot of body roll for a sedan but it suddenly disappears when you put it on Sport, not so much with F15. 5 drives really comfortable, perfect balance of comfort and sportiness and you feel like wrapped in cabin, not smothering but just perfect proportions.

Other than somewhat higher steering wheel position even at lowest position, annoying horn delay and mechanical turn signal relay clicker, rest is pretty good. I love the BMW Gadgets, pictures, street view, weather all are excellent additions to an already great entertainment system. A/C is really weaker in F15, additional memory buttons (i believe 2 more) is a welcome addition.

Last edited by hyde; 10-06-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I had a chance to test drive the 50i today, it is really where all engine & transmission improvement shines. Not to say 35i is slow (that's what I ordered anyway) but 50i has a great rumble yet it's quiet inside the cabin.

However, the turbo sound is almost completely gone. I don't know the technical term (the spray-like sound) but that turbo release that I hear on a daily basis on E70 is almost gone, I tried with the windows down, I still cannot hear it.

The steering is light and sadly less responsive. I drove 750Li, 550xi and 5xx D, 335i, X6 (2014) and F15 was the one that had the least responsive steering. 5 series still has a lot of body roll but it suddenly disappears when you put it on Sport, not so much with F15.

Other than somewhat higher steering wheel position even at lowest position, annoying horn delay and mechanical turn signal relay clicker, rest is pretty good. I love the BMW Gadgets, pictures, street view, weather all are excellent additions to an already great entertainment system. A/C is really weaker than F15, additional memory buttons (i believe 2 more) is a welcome addition.
I agree with what you noted as well. The one thing though for me that is different is the turbo wisp. After I upgraded with my RaceChip tune, the wisp is very apparent and the growl of the 50i can be heard much more in Sport mode. You hear it also in Comfort mode at higher RPMs, but I didn't really test it that much in Comfort mode.
      10-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #33
Ragtag
Romania
Rep
Drives: X5 M5.0d

F15 is better than E70.It s a brand new car,it s hard not to love the new x5.The engines are better,the suspension is way better,the interior is high class.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I have driven the f15 a few times and I am not impressed to the point where I want to spend 85k on this SUV to replace the E70. I have a 12 LCI version with Adaptive Drive (my third E70) and I felt the LCI version is much better than the pre-LCI version of the E70 so I can understand if people are comparing to earlier E70's. The f15 NAV is much better and a few nicer interior features but I was not super blown away by the rest. Maybe I will wait until the f15 LCI comes out, I am sure I will be smitten by then

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant
Didn't vote because I still own my E70. I think that the F15 is superior in many respects. The major drawback is the steering. It's enough of a problem for me that I have been looking at other brands.
Agreed! For what seems to be such a minor issue, it really takes away a lot from the car. I love and miss my 11 35i e70 over my f15. The f15 has improved in nearly every aspect but the "driving dynamics" and I actually prefer the lci e70 styling. However the interior and exterior fit and finish is a large improvement over the e70.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #36
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

My 2003 X5 4.4i E53 drives better than the F15 35i I tested. The turbo V6 is really laggy and does not have enough thrust as my old V8 naturally aspirated engine. The steering is loose and not as direct as my old X5. The F15 does not react to the slightest movement of the steering wheel. You have rotate the wheel a lot to get the E70 to turn, really disappointing. Though parking is easier with F15 due to light steering. The E53 is much sportier to drive, but you if you like newer tech then the F15 is for you.

The F15 does have a nicer interior with leather dash and softer seats, but it felt big and heavy like a truck whereas the E53 felt more like a sports wagon. It does ride better than E53, but the new X5 is too focused on comfort than sport.

E53 is a sports car whereas F15 is a luxury cruise ship. I feel rather cold and bored when driving the F15. There is no V8 soundtrack, nor instant response when you floor the throttle or take a sharp turn.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #37
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
My 2003 X5 4.4i E53 drives better than the F15 35i I tested. The turbo V6 is really laggy and does not have enough thrust as my old V8 naturally aspirated engine. The steering is loose and not as direct as my old X5. The F15 does not react to the slightest movement of the steering wheel. You have rotate the wheel a lot to get the E70 to turn, really disappointing. Though parking is easier with F15 due to light steering. The E53 is much sportier to drive, but you if you like newer tech then the F15 is for you.

The F15 does have a nicer interior with leather dash and softer seats, but it felt big and heavy like a truck whereas the E53 felt more like a sports wagon. It does ride better than E53, but the new X5 is too focused on comfort than sport.

E53 is a sports car whereas F15 is a luxury cruise ship. I feel rather cold and bored when driving the F15. There is no V8 soundtrack, nor instant response when you floor the throttle or take a sharp turn.
I don't think you are being fair comparing 3.0 v6 with 4.4 v8.
Also my E70 never had instant response with throttle and I think I was able to adjust my driving style to expect the lag and in most cases I drove in sport mode with low gears anyway, so I hope to be right at home with F15. I will probably miss the nice steering, though.
      10-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #38
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

It's unfortunate that bmw has changed the X5's driving dynamics to be more comfortable for the masses but i get it. I had an E70 50i and absolutely loved the power and tight steering but anyone else who drove my car complained of how tight it was and how their arms hurt driving my car.

Before the X5 would ride tighter and harder and you would add packages to lighten it up and make it more comfortable. Now it's pretty much the opposite and I understand that from the point of view of a business decision to target more people. I have actually never driven an F15 even though I have one in production. Initially I may not like how the steering feels, but I will enjoy the updated interior, comfort, and gadgets. After about 3 days I will adjust, and I included DHP to help me with the adjustment process. =)
2011 X5 50i Sport Activity
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #39
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post
anyone else who drove my car complained of how tight it was and how their arms hurt driving my car.
You let people drive your X5. GASP!
Kidding aside, I even had people turn down the offer to let them drive, when I had one of my coworkers sitting in for me when I went out to pick up something, came back and I asked him if he wants to drive back to office, he made some weird gesture and said "too heavy", pointing at the steering wheel. LOL. Now all that fun I made of his Lexus is now a standard feature on F15. Such a shame, but oh well, we'll get used to it, I assume (I hope) since we have no alternative.
      10-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #40
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
I don't think you are being fair comparing 3.0 v6 with 4.4 v8.
How's it not fair? The 4.4i V8 is rated at 290HP whereas the new turbo v6 has 300 HP. In a straight line, the new 35i would be bit faster, but it does not feel as fast as my old E53 due to turbo lag. The 4.4i engine in the E53 is a work of art and uses the similar components as the M5 engine. It has broad torque band, revs, and always has power below 2000rpm. The steering on the E53 is only heavy at parking lot speeds. As you build up speed, it becomes lighter and has great road feel. You can really throw it around corners, whereas the F15's steering is way too light making it really hard to point the SUV at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #41
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
You let people drive your X5. GASP!
Kidding aside, I even had people turn down the offer to let them drive, when I had one of my coworkers sitting in for me when I went out to pick up something, came back and I asked him if he wants to drive back to office, he made some weird gesture and said "too heavy", pointing at the steering wheel. LOL. Now all that fun I made of his Lexus is now a standard feature on F15. Such a shame, but oh well, we'll get used to it, I assume (I hope) since we have no alternative.
Although the steering was heavy in all my Xs, I haven't had anyone complain about it. However, I did have a friend almost put himself through the windshield in a rain storm when he tried to brake like his Subaru .
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #42
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
How's it not fair? The 4.4i V8 is rated at 290HP whereas the new turbo v6 has 300 HP. In a straight line, the new 35i would be bit faster, but it does not feel as fast as my old E53 due to turbo lag. The 4.4i engine in the E53 is a work of art and uses the similar components as the M5 engine. It has broad torque band, revs, and always has power below 2000rpm. The steering on the E53 is only heavy at parking lot speeds. As you build up speed, it becomes lighter and has great road feel. You can really throw it around corners, whereas the F15's steering is way too light making it really hard to point the SUV at high speeds.
I totally agree with you on steering, that's given, since I am coming from E70, I understand that and I always enjoyed highway steering of E70 and it's tight characteristics. However, while I am not too familiar with E53, I believe it still had more torque compared to F15 and had V8 vs I6. Additionally, X5 won't go from 18-20mpg to 27mpg without modifying a few things here and there, so it's new fuel efficient design definitely holds it back.
      10-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #43
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Time came to change my E70 and at first I thought I would be changing to the F15. However I just could not get over how much I disliked the side and rear view. IMHO the E70 is more cohesive and looks good from all angles especially with sport kit, aero kit and 20 inch wheels

I ended up with a new F30
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #44
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Time came to change my E70 and at first I thought I would be changing to the F15. However I just could not get over how much I disliked the side and rear view. IMHO the E70 is more cohesive and looks good from all angles especially with sport kit, aero kit and 20 inch wheels

I ended up with a new F30
Enjoy the F30, I couldn't even consider F10 due to space let alone F30, but if you can make do, it's a great vehicle. I drove all variations of F30 including GT, even that hated model looked very attractive.

As for the outside looks, to be honest, driver sees inside of their vehicle, and I care about what I see more than others, yes I got the lighting package but if I cared about what others see I would have gotten m-Sport package. Interior is far superior to E70.

Question to those others who came from E70, do you find it that there is more outside noise coming from the rear? Like when there is a truck right behind you, you can hear it's engine very clearly. I don't think I could hear that much in E70. Or is it possible that because internal engine noise is completely gone now there is nothing to mask outside noise and we hear more. I was really surprised today and I thought I had a door or window open somewhere and I didn't. Maybe not enough seal/insulation in the tailgate as before?