BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2023, 11:30 AM   #45
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Good luck. And sorry to hear about the cost of NOX sensors being dramatically higher up there. I got both of mine for the E70 for ~$850 last year.

Fortunately the F15's were replaced under emissions warranty by the dealer @ 98k miles early last year.

BTW, the "I-level integration" is referring to the firmware version on your DDE and other modules. To update it you will need ISTA-P. AND YOU WILL NEED A 100A POWER SUPPLY!!! I can NOT stress that enough. You can brick the car attempting to program it without a power supply. Recently happened to another member...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #46
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 325xi, 2015 X5 35d

Thanks for that! I'll stay away from going down that programming path. That's a key piece of info I needed to know. I guess if I do want to/need to update the firmware, I'll be forced to head to the dealer.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #47
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

The new Bosch DEF Injector (SCR Metering Unit) arrived. I installed it, launched ISTA and the SCR exhaust emissions system test again. The first prompt from ISTA asked me to confirm the front NOx sensor was replaced. Which I did.

It ran through the 11-step check as in post#42 above and the "Step 11 - Evaluation" results were:

"The SCR system test ran trouble-free. However, there are fault memory entries for the SCR exhaust system. NOTiCE: Fault memories relating to the SCR system can be deleted by the vehicle once another test has been successfully carried out. If repairs have already been carried out on the SCR system, first perform a conditioning run in order to remedy the faults."

"Conditioning run" isn't really defined that I could see anywhere in ISTA but I assume that means to drive it. The follow-on instructions did state to "launch a diesel particulate filer regeneration and carry out a regeneration drive. Duration of approx 30 min at 60-120kmh constant driving speed unit the Check Control message goes out"

So, I reset the "SCR adjustments and adaptations - long-term adaption" and today I intend on launching a DPF regeneration in ISTA, "ABL - Diesel Particulate Filter: -Request Regeneration.", and commencing with the road run.

This 35d has not moved in almost 2-months because I only have 36kms/22mi left on the "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START" countdown. From what I've read I need 34kms/21mi for the reset to happen once I start the regeneration drive/conditioning run. There's no wiggle room for me at all! I expect the end result will either be the NO START countdown disappears and I'm good to go or the DDE will become locked/bricked after I shut it off and I'll need to hand my wallet over to the dealer to get if fixed!

I realize there's not too many recent posts besides my own in this thread but I'm trying to capture the process as I go just in case its helpful to someone else who ends up suffering through this.

Sunday drive on tap today......stay tuned

Last edited by yellow_boss; 02-27-2023 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 05:35 AM   #48
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

IT'S FIXED!

With my "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 36kms" warning, I launched the diesel particulate filer regeneration with ISTA then drove it on a stretch of road I knew there were no traffic lights or stop signs to slow me down. It was a stretch about 40kms long so I could maintain the required speed of 60-120kmh/40-80mph. At the "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 2kms" countdown mark I was expecting the warning to disappear but that didn't happen. I was alarmed, to say the least!!!! However, it counted down to zero and the NO START warning remained in front of me, then about 2-3kms past the zero countdown mark, the warning disappeared.

I didn't celebrate immediately. I was not certain if reaching the zero mark would impact the DDE module after it was shut off. So I drove it for at least another hour at highway speeds then it went straight into the garage at home. I shut it off, let it "go to sleep" for about an hour. Back into the driver's seat and it started! No warnings or lights! Woohoo! Just to be sure I let it go to sleep overnight and tried it in the morning.

Almost 8 weeks and many dollars later, it's GOOD TO GO!

Last edited by yellow_boss; 02-27-2023 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #49
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

A sum-up in one post, start to finish, resolving the INCORRECT FLUID: NO START issue in my 2015 X5 35d:

1. While driving, I received the "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START IN 300km" warning

2. I drove past the zero countdown mark to get it home and I reset codes with cheap code-reader. That resulted in a new countdown "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 80km ". I do not recommend doing this! Resolve your issue early just in case you need to kms for multiple conditioning runs after swapping parts.

3. I'm not Windows user so I bought a Windows 11 Laptop with over 500gb of available SSD space (needed for ISTA). An external SSD would prob work too?

4. Installed google Chrome on laptop

5. Installed 7Zip on laptop

6 Using Chrome, I downloaded the ISTA software from a link in PM from forum user Aadalbert_77 on this thread - click here. The download zip file was about 136GB.

7. I installed ISTA on the windows 11 laptop using the following guide I found in post # 148 in this thread. Once fully installed the entire unzipped package (using 7-zip extractor) took about 353GB more SSD space. ISTA install process was:

a. Run Patched_EDIABAS_7.3.0.msi
b. Install jre-8u351-windows-x64.exe (x86 if 32 bit OS).
c. Install VCRedist 2005-2019 x86 x64.exe.
d. Unpack ISTA_v4.32.15.24911.7z in C:\ (you can change folder) - you'll get C:\Rheingold\ in this case.
e. Unpack PSdZData_Lite_4.39.20.rar in C:\Rheingold\PSdZ\data\ (see point h. below).
f. Unpack GLOBAL_4.32.12.7z and EN_4.32.12.7z.7z in C:\Rheingold\SQLiteDBs\ (DE_4.32.12.7z for german).
g. Run RCleanerV4.4.exe and reboot.
h. Open registry fix (ISTA_Reg_Fix_x64.reg) with a text editor and check or change (modify if you did override aforementioned folders). Specifically check or change:
"InstallLocation"="C:" (to match point d. above).
"BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath"="C:\\Rhei ngold\\PSdZ\\data" (to match point e. above).
"BMW.Rheingold.OnlineMode"="True"
Then save and Run the Registry Fix
i. Guest OS: Network > Ethernet adapter: set the IP to 169.254.1.1, subnet mask to 255.255.0.0..
j. Run C:\Rheingold\TesterGUI\bin\Release\ISTAGUI.exe: top right wrench > Vehicle interface: select "Dealer Organisation ICOM /ENET local area network", change "Search broadcast" to 169.254.1.255. I created a desktop shortcut for the "ISTAGUI.exe" for easy access.
k. Home, Operations > New > Read out Vehicle data and Complete identification button. You should get ISTA+ reading VIN and diag info.

8. Purchased an ENET cable - link here. Needed to plug laptop into vehicle OBDII port.

9. I removed the DEF Injector, also known as SCR Metering Unit (BMW PART # 18308514448 or Bosch Part # 0444025010 - link here), and cleaned it with distilled water to remove hardened DEF deposits.

10. Using ISTA software, I ran the "SCR Exhaust Emission System Test", an 11-step diagnostic test that takes 50 mins where ISTA prompts you to start the engine and it runs through a test plan. "Step 11 - Evaluation" provided diagnostic results. In my case, it said "The SCR functional test is finished. A fault was detected for the NOx sensor before SCR catalytic converter. Replace the NOx sensor before the SCR catalytic converter." Front NOx sensor is BMW part # 13628589846 ($976 CAD to my door).

11. Purchased a NOx Sensor Wrench, size 7/8"/22mm, about $40 CAD. Like this

12. Replaced front NOx Sensor and DEF Injector (because I broke the plastic hose barb on DEF Injector when I removed the NOx Sensor - $350 CAD for Bosch version of the DEF Injector). Heads up, the NOx sensors are seized in there tight so start soaking it with penetrant early (days) so you don't have to fight with it and break something like I did.

13. Ran the ISTA 50-minute 11-step "SCR Exhaust Emission System Test" again. The results of Step 11-Evaluation were: "The SCR System ran trouble-free."

14. Using ISTA, I reset the "SCR Adjustments and Adaptations - Long-term Adaption"

15. Using ISTA, I initiated "ABL - Diesel Particulate Filter: -Request Regeneration"

16. As indicated in ISTA I went on a conditioning run of approx 30mins at speed 60-120kmh. I had 36kms until NO START and I during my run it counted down to 0kms, "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 0kms", then about 2-3 kms beyond that point the warning disappeared.

17. After returning home, using ISTA , I deleted remaining faults from memory.

Problem fixed! This all cost me: a Windows latop, ENET cable, NOX Sensor Wrench, Front NOx Sensor, a DEF Injector, and almost 8 weeks of down-time (because I was busy).

Last edited by yellow_boss; 05-07-2023 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2023, 06:31 PM   #50
Skullanova
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x5d, 2003 GMC duramax

Thanks guys, this thread is gold! Have been watching this on and another one as I go through this with my better half’s x5.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 12:11 AM   #51
Skullanova
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x5d, 2003 GMC duramax

Can anyone tell me if the two Nox sensors are the same, I know the part numbers are different which stands to reason the sensors are also. Reason is I have 2 of the upstream sensors, vender shipped me the wrong number for the downstream one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 11:55 AM   #52
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullanova View Post
Can anyone tell me if the two Nox sensors are the same, I know the part numbers are different which stands to reason the sensors are also. Reason is I have 2 of the upstream sensors, vender shipped me the wrong number for the downstream one. Thanks!
Two different part numbers and yes they are different. Wire harnesses are different lengths. I doubt there is much difference beyond that, but I can't say for sure.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #53
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_boss View Post
Two different part numbers and yes they are different. Wire harnesses are different lengths. I doubt there is much difference beyond that, but I can't say for sure.

Good luck!
I agree. I think they are the same thing with difference being wire length.

If anyone wants to save money, you could get one of those eBay sensors and just reuse your old connector plug. It’s only 2 wires. Use shrink wrap and plenty of electrical tape or protect the connection from any possible dirt and water intrusion. When I dealt with these issues, each sensor was “only” $300. Now they are selling for almost $700 each. If you are not super close in your countdown mileage, it might be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:29 PM   #54
Gasolero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

I/M Readiness NOx and PM Incomplete

My first post in the Bimmerpost community! I recently fixed my "Incorrect Exhaust Fluid" issue with the SCR system in my 2014 328d thanks to the detailed instructions by yellow_boss and W37V from this forum. So thank you guys a million!. My issue was the pre-cat NOx sensor. After driving the 20 miles after resetting adaptations, and the error message disappearing, I had a celebratory breakfast with my son, who helped me with the installation of ISTA, and was reading aloud the NOx readings while I drove the 20 miles.

Now I have to take the car to have it smog checked. I did a few cold-start drives following the many instructions found in YouTube, but none explicitly discusses diesel engines. When I plug in my scanner, I get that NCA and PM monitors are incomplete. I have driven the car about 70 miles since the fix. I took the car to a smog check place today and in their scanner it read that the NOx and PM are incomplete. As of 7/05/2023, according to the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair, "Particulate Filter System and/or NMHC are allowed to be incomplete" to pass the OBD test during smog testing. So I am fine with the PM, but I don't know what it takes to accelerate the readiness of the NOx sensor monitor.

I am thinking of launching a Particulate Matter Filter regeneration to see if it helps to somehow clear the two monitors. Have any of you run into a similar issue? Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:31 AM   #55
yellow_boss
Canada
Rep

Glad to hear our capture of the fix helped you out and the fact that your son and you conquered it together makes it even better! :-)

I'm not sure what will accelerate the NOx sensor monitor aside from driving it. Up here in ON they scrapped the emissions testing on passenger vehicles in 2022 and now only test commercial vehicles.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:56 AM   #56
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

This looks like the same issues that plagued the E70.
      02-17-2024, 02:54 PM   #57
Gasolero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

NOx Sensor Live Data

Quote:
Glad to hear our capture of the fix helped you out and the fact that your son and you conquered it together makes it even better! :-)

I'm not sure what will accelerate the NOx sensor monitor aside from driving it. Up here in ON they scrapped the emissions testing on passenger vehicles in 2022 and now only test commercial vehicles.

Good luck!
Thank you for the encouraging response yellow_boss!

I went for a late drive last night to make sure I could drive at constant speed. I logged NOx sensor live data to study the SCR system response. I figured I'd provide a summary like you did after your fix. You are true inspiration!

60 MPH Drive with cruise control:

Pre-cat:
Typical read: 20-60 ppm (average)
Spikes during uphills: 180, 220, 280, 340, 400 ppm

After cat: 2-30 ppm (average)
Spikes during uphills: 30, 100, 130 ppm

Idle after 16-min drive:

Pre-cat: 65-70 ppm
After-cat: 1-2 ppm

Once I figure how to attach the screen shots, I will post them as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:05 PM   #58
Daniel son
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

I had this issue recently, turns out the guy the dealer got to drop my car off to me put windshield washer fluid in the passive def tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:44 AM   #59
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

I just wanted to give another option to this thread:

Technically, once you run out of mileage, ECU is locked and you have to get a new ECU. Instead of spending thousands to get a new ECU, some tuners might be able to help. For example DUDMD (no relations) offers a service for M57 (however, i think they might be able to do it for N57 too) to reset the ECU remotely. https://www.dudmd.com/products/2009-...et-programming

Any competent tuner should be able to get it done, as they should be able to "rewrite" your ecu. Depending on the age of your car, some tuners might require you to mail them your ECU so they can do a bench unlock and reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #60
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
I just wanted to give another option to this thread:

Technically, once you run out of mileage, ECU is locked and you have to get a new ECU. Instead of spending thousands to get a new ECU, some tuners might be able to help. For example DUDMD (no relations) offers a service for M57 (however, i think they might be able to do it for N57 too) to reset the ECU remotely. https://www.dudmd.com/products/2009-...et-programming

Any competent tuner should be able to get it done, as they should be able to "rewrite" your ecu. Depending on the age of your car, some tuners might require you to mail them your ECU so they can do a bench unlock and reset.
I had to mail mine out along with a key. Took the opportunity to have them make me another key as well. The company was interesting to deal with, as I was nervous sending out the DDE, CAS, and a key... but they got the job done. Just under $700 for the DDE reset and the new comfort access key.

Quote:

IT'S FIXED!

With my "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 36kms" warning, I launched the diesel particulate filer regeneration with ISTA then drove it on a stretch of road I knew there were no traffic lights or stop signs to slow me down. It was a stretch about 40kms long so I could maintain the required speed of 60-120kmh/40-80mph. At the "INCORRECT FLUID: NO START in 2kms" countdown mark I was expecting the warning to disappear but that didn't happen. I was alarmed, to say the least!!!! However, it counted down to zero and the NO START warning remained in front of me, then about 2-3kms past the zero countdown mark, the warning disappeared.

I didn't celebrate immediately. I was not certain if reaching the zero mark would impact the DDE module after it was shut off. So I drove it for at least another hour at highway speeds then it went straight into the garage at home. I shut it off, let it "go to sleep" for about an hour. Back into the driver's seat and it started! No warnings or lights! Woohoo! Just to be sure I let it go to sleep overnight and tried it in the morning.

Almost 8 weeks and many dollars later, it's GOOD TO GO!
Thank you for updating this, I missed it earlier. Glad you got it sorted. Completing the SCR/DEF test successfully is the key. Once you pass that you can go for the conditioning drive you're good to go. Still nerve wracking waiting for the DDE to turn that warning off though...

After the DDE clears the countdown, feel free to clear the code history at that point (if you haven't).
Appreciate 0