BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Suspension Options (F15 Tow Rig)

Hi Y'all,

I'm currently in the market for a daily-ish / tow vehicle and had some questions re: X5 suspension options. I can DIY most issues so I'm not too concerned about the airbag leak/compressor issues.

I had 2 questions:

1) For folks who tow with their X5, what would you consider the ideal OEM suspension setup for reliable towing (considering that I'll be picking up a car with ~40k miles)?

2) Do cars with the 3rd Row option (air suspension) also get the auto leveling feature like the Driver Assistance Plus package?

*** Any other suggestions are appreciated
      02-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

There is sooo much information about towing and suspension:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1508166
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1326513
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1432145
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1243861
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1670760
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665188

Thread specifically about self leveling and DHP (DAP+ has nothing to do with suspension BTW)
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1457959
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

I haul a 4,500 lb travel trailer with my 2015 35d M Sport - it has air suspension, third row and M adaptive suspension. It does a great job - particularly happy with the air suspension keeping the car level like it's supposed to be. I do not (as per BMW recommendations) use any weight distribution equipment. Couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Thank you for taking the time to send all of those links but I'm well aware of the process of adding a tow hitch to the car and the towing capacity...

I've read all of those and none explain if self leveling functionality is included in the air suspension on a car with just the 3rd row option (not with DHP added).

I'm looking at CPO cars and BMWs pre-owned website doesn't have a filter option for DHP or Adaptive Suspension so I was looking for an easy way to filter for cars that do have self leveling. DHP isn't critical for me as my car + trailer is only ~4k lbs.
      02-28-2022, 09:47 PM   #5
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I believe all F15's with rear air suspension have self leveling.
My 50i with third row, has it. Excellent tow vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 11:21 PM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I believe all F15's with rear air suspension have self leveling.
My 50i with third row, has it. Excellent tow vehicle.
Thanks for the info, that's the conclusion I came to as well - the only real downside of the 3rd row is that you lose a small amount of storage, right?

I'm leaning 35i xdrive w/ a 3rd row to get the cheapest option with self leveling since the car won't be driven that much.
      03-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

My 35d has 3rd row and M adaptive so includes the air suspension. It is great for towing. No need for DHP (except I hear that's great too) for towing.

I've also removed the 3rd row seating (took me 45 mins) to regain the storage space and shed a little weight. I don't need the 3rd row but I'm darn glad it came with the car so I had auto-leveling rear suspension and air springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #8
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

[QUOTE=spxxx;28640145]Thanks for the info, that's the conclusion I came to as well - the only real downside of the 3rd row is that you lose a small amount of storage, right?

I'm leaning 35i xdrive w/ a 3rd row to get the cheapest option with self leveling since the car won't be driven that much.[/QUOTE

Instead of rear seat, there is storage for a spare tire etc. So you have to chose between having a spare tire or a third row seat.
From what I know, space is the same when seat is folded down.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #9
spxxx
Boost
Rep

[QUOTE=1norseman;28643509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Thanks for the info, that's the conclusion I came to as well - the only real downside of the 3rd row is that you lose a small amount of storage, right?

I'm leaning 35i xdrive w/ a 3rd row to get the cheapest option with self leveling since the car won't be driven that much.[/QUOTE

Instead of rear seat, there is storage for a spare tire etc. So you have to chose between having a spare tire or a third row seat.
From what I know, space is the same when seat is folded down.
Yeah that's what I've seen from looking at cars, I don't really care about the 3rd row but I'm basically looking for the most cost effective way of getting an F15 with air suspension + it's a nice to have with kids (although this car will likely see very few miles).

The other option is going X5 40E hybrid with a mild tune on the N20 for situations where the battery is fully drained as they all come with air suspension. In the past I would tow twice a month but I'm unsure if I'll get back to that level of tracking anytime soon so it'd be nice to have 15 miles of EV range as most of my trips are <15 miles around town.

It seems like they tow pretty well and my max trailer weight is 4500lbs wet so I don't have any concerns even without the EV boost while towing.

Tough decision, little concerned about the battery life on the Hybrid but I've seen some reviews from folks with >100k miles who still get 17mi range and the N20 around town is totally sufficient.
      03-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #10
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variante Alta View Post
My 35d has 3rd row and M adaptive so includes the air suspension. It is great for towing. No need for DHP (except I hear that's great too) for towing.

I've also removed the 3rd row seating (took me 45 mins) to regain the storage space and shed a little weight. I don't need the 3rd row but I'm darn glad it came with the car so I had auto-leveling rear suspension and air springs.
did you just install a non 3rd row cover in its place? is that all it takes?

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #11
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:

My E70 35D and adaptive drive (equivalent to F15 DHP) and air suspension, towed significantly better than my F15 with adaptive M suspension and air suspension.

I would suspect that DHP would improve the experience as well in transitions (cornering, and in reducing the bounciness)
      03-09-2022, 08:07 AM   #12
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
Quote:

did you just install a non 3rd row cover in its place? is that all it takes?
That's essentially what I've done so far but there are a couple pieces from a non-3rd row X5 that are needed to do it right. You can see in bmwfans or any other online BMW parts resource the differences. I bought a bunch of stuff locally from a guy who bought an X5 for the engine and saved a bunch of other stuff from it - I added the aluminum rails and a few other little items. The side trims (which I also got from the local chap) don't quite fit correctly without changing out more stuff…I didn't see it being worthwhile. I left the seat belts in place but hidden and the side trims so it's an easy job to replace the 3rd row if needed at some point.

I will purchase the metal frame bracket that sits behind the 2nd row so I have something to attached the floor piece and strut (which holds the floor up when accessing the storage area. You can also buy the storage area liner but I haven't yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #13
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Quote:

My E70 35D and adaptive drive (equivalent to F15 DHP) and air suspension, towed significantly better than my F15 with adaptive M suspension and air suspension.

I would suspect that DHP would improve the experience as well in transitions (cornering, and in reducing the bounciness)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Quote:

Yes, the adaptive drive sounds like the ideal option to have - it's fairly rare I think. You're correct on it being somewhat bouncy with the travel trailer but I always pull it in Sport Mode (suspension only, not drivetrain) and that deals very well with that issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #14
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Can confirm that DHP is great for towing, but it is harder to find, especially if you have other options you're looking for. I got lucky to find DHP with everything I wanted except for AAC, but I was willing to compromise on that.

When I pulled this skid the air suspension did a great job keeping it level and it's likely heavier than 99% of anything anyone will tow with an X5 at roughly 7500# (I wouldn't recommend towing this heavy though, I only had to go a few miles)

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=103

However I will say this because I think it's something a lot of people don't think about, but if you plan to run aftermarket wheels make sure they are rated same or higher than OEM wheels for load rating (half of GVWR per wheel). So many aftermarket wheels, especially if bought through websites, aren't rated high enough for towing and usually aren't even rated high enough for the vehicle alone. I'm trying to find some that are 2,000# rated for the added weight of towing and it's tough. Just food for thought.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0