BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #177
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
However, if temps rise (oil, water, exhaust), and fuel consumption increases (in normal driving), all we can infer is that more stress is being put on the engine. We do not know the normal operating limits of the engine.
If these things don't rise, then this box has discovered perpetual energy. I see the claims of fuel reduction on these tunes and view that as "only in lab conditions". Sure, if you drive the car normally without the tune then, install the tune and drive it like a hypermiler, you might see fuel consumption benefits. But, HP is made from fuel, simple as that. If you add HP, you have to add fuel to the cylinder; unless, by some incredible manufacturing bumble, BMW made the stock tune on these engines result in very incomplete combustion (about as likely as the Hindenburg flying over my house, IMHO).

Oil and exhaust temps, same thing. They have to rise (especially exhaust). It's all a question of "can the stock cooling component dissipate the additional heat without modification" not "will there be more heat". There better be more heat!

I'm very curious of your findings as well. I'm pretty sure the tune will produce more HP (perhaps not as much as claimed). What I'm more interested is are other parts operating outside of parameters. Sure, part XYZ is hotter, but, if "hotter" is still well below failure range at max HP/torque, I'm not sure I care if it runs hotter.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #178
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Here is a dash command info of one of the members here.
Attached Images

07-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #179
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
But, HP is made from fuel, simple as that. If you add HP, you have to add fuel to the cylinder; unless, by some incredible manufacturing bumble
+1
Fuel consumption impossible, just additional power is made by race chip(or any other device)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #180
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Here is a dash command info of one of the members here.
Interesting, but these motors won't produce 40psi of boost. In fact, according to the US and German tech support and engineer I spoke to today, the tune adds only .3 bar (4.3 psi) boost.

The tune it seems, only modifies three parameters going into the ECU: fuel pressure, fuel timing and boost. Depending on the input of these three parameters (the speed of your right foot mostly, plus intake temp, oil temp, speed, throttle position, etc), the chip produces an output to the ECU using a proprietary algorithm. Everything else is BMW - start, warm up, decel, idle, etc.

From the factory, the tune is generally set to 20% increase over stock. It's up to you to fine tune to get to 30%. The reason they say "generally set to 20%" is because nearly every motor is different - temp, altitude, fuel quality, etc - so they will not give a firm number like 306 hp.

Additionally, I was told the tune is made for daily drivability and not track performance. Therefore, they focused on torque and not HP. Therefore, 0 - 60 mph will really improve, but sustained high speed or towing will improve a bit but at a cost in terms of increased heat - wear and tear on the motor. However, high speed will have to be well over 100mph sustained to be a problem. For towing, I would remove the tune.

I get my chip tomorrow.
      07-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #181
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Interesting, but these motors won't produce 40psi of boost. In fact, according to the US and German tech support and engineer I spoke to today, the tune adds only .3 bar (4.3 psi) boost.

The tune it seems, only modifies three parameters going into the ECU: fuel pressure, fuel timing and boost. Depending on the input of these three parameters (the speed of your right foot mostly, plus intake temp, oil temp, speed, throttle position, etc), the chip produces an output to the ECU using a proprietary algorithm. Everything else is BMW - start, warm up, decel, idle, etc.

From the factory, the tune is generally set to 20% increase over stock. It's up to you to fine tune to get to 30%. The reason they say "generally set to 20%" is because nearly every motor is different - temp, altitude, fuel quality, etc - so they will not give a firm number like 306 hp.

Additionally, I was told the tune is made for daily drivability and not track performance. Therefore, they focused on torque and not HP. Therefore, 0 - 60 mph will really improve, but sustained high speed or towing will improve a bit but at a cost in terms of increased heat - wear and tear on the motor. However, high speed will have to be well over 100mph sustained to be a problem. For towing, I would remove the tune.

I get my chip tomorrow.
Nice write up, man! I'm eager to see your results/thoughts. My RaceChip TB Ultimate for F15 X5 5.0i comes Thursday. Everyone says to set it to the E/2 (highest) setting. I'm really curious if it will pull off the 507hp.
      07-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #182
42pilot
Captain
Rep

I received my chip and drove my 35d around today. You already know how easy it is to install and what it looks like. One comment about the installation - make sure you use plenty of zip ties to secure the wire loom from moving AT ALL or over time, the unprotected wire near the connectors will vibrate, crack then break. You will have a difficult time diagnosing a short in a wire. The stock three-pin male connector must bend back from its original position and could lay across a steel frame which would accelerate fatigue and failure.

Anyway, I received a good email from an engineer in Germany who corrected a previous email from a customer service person. This chip looks a one thing only - fuel. Otherwise, everything else I noted in previous posts remains the same. For me, this is a little disappointing, but it's a chip and not a tune - so what do you expect. A small benefit is that you can adjust the chip's performance up or down depending on your taste. Each click up is 1.5% increase based on a mathematical calculation/estimation, not real world. You can push the limits of this engine as the BMW software will throw a code and shut it down before serious damage is done. But why push it that far in a >$65,000 SUV? It's your decision.

I found it interesting that the engineer who answered me today stated that this chip only works under acceleration ("when you need the power") thereby "sparing" your motor. Yikes.

In addition, per the engineer, the chip's "working range" is between 1500 and 3500 rpm only. This is the sweet spot for this motor in terms of torque. Since torque is part of the HP equation, HP is increased in this range too.

I would like to comment that the people at Race Chip in the US and Germany have been extremely accommodating to me and my questions. The answers may have conflicted a bit, but they were quick to correct themselves and not oversell the product.

So, I installed the chip, left the chip at its recommended settings, and went for a drive. After the oil was up to temp, I felt comfortable playing with the throttle. My first impression was improved throttle response right from idle. In fact, for me, this alone is nearly worth the (discounted) cost of the chip. This was the economy mode too - very nice. Push the sport button and the car is very responsive for a 5000 lb SUV.

I didn't drive it too much because I didn't have time. I'll have more time tomorrow where I can see temps, pressures, fuel economy, drivability, and so on.

One last comment - I called Dinan and asked when or if they will have a "real" tune for this motor and they said there are no plans soon. They are too busy with gasser motors. That's too bad since they actually tune not only the motor, but the transmission (line pressure, shift points, etc) too.
      07-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #183
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Good review.
Dinan started releasing piggy backs since BMW is making it impossible to crack the ecu's for real tune. They just released a chip for my F10 m5 because they couldnt crack the ecus.

Are you planning on testing E/1 and then E/2?
I have been in E/2 on the x5d for over a month and the truck feels great.
      07-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #184
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good review.
Dinan started releasing piggy backs since BMW is making it impossible to crack the ecu's for real tune. They just released a chip for my F10 m5 because they couldnt crack the ecus.

Are you planning on testing E/1 and then E/2?
I have been in E/2 on the x5d for over a month and the truck feels great.

I just sold my 2011 F10 550i that had the Dinan stage 2 tune. It took almost an hour to install at the dealer because its a full ECU install. It took the HP to nearly 500 and torque to 580 lb ft managing all systems - ignition, turbos, intake, fuel, cam timing.

That is a real tune and amazing reliable power from a 4.4L power plant. The problem with that package was the car - it was a touring car not designed to take that kind of stress on the suspension, drive train, no limited-slip and brakes (gotta stop all that power). I actually twisted the right rear control arm which took the alignment completely out of specs.

It wasn't acceleration, it was violence...
      07-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #185
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Over the past two days, I've had a couple of PM's asking me about my last project. So I thought I would share what I did to my car below. It was a ground-up restoration and complete engine rebuild with a conversion to an ECU (it was constant mechanical fuel injection). I did all of the tuning, painting, mechanical work and interior. It's sold.

http://www.brookstonefarms.com/930.html
      07-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #186
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just sold my 2011 F10 550i that had the Dinan stage 2 tune. It took almost an hour to install at the dealer because its a full ECU install. It took the HP to nearly 500 and torque to 580 lb ft managing all systems - ignition, turbos, intake, fuel, cam timing.

That is a real tune and amazing reliable power from a 4.4L power plant. The problem with that package was the car - it was a touring car not designed to take that kind of stress on the suspension, drive train, no limited-slip and brakes (gotta stop all that power). I actually twisted the right rear control arm which took the alignment completely out of specs.

It wasn't acceleration, it was violence...

Are you talking about D-tronics from Dinan? Unfortunately it's a piggy back as well. Nobody has full control over F chassis cars' DME's. Many tuners tried over the last and eventually gave up after literally breaking the computers.
My F10 M5 has two DME's and with just a piggyback and few other things I am at 637 whp, which with 15% drivetrain loss converts to 730hp+.
I have been running it for over a year with no issues.

Love the 930 project. Is this a hobby of yours or your career?
      07-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #187
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are you talking about D-tronics from Dinan? Unfortunately it's a piggy back as well. Nobody has full control over F chassis cars' DME's. Many tuners tried over the last and eventually gave up after literally breaking the computers.
My F10 M5 has two DME's and with just a piggyback and few other things I am at 637 whp, which with 15% drivetrain loss converts to 730hp+.

It was a hobby that I turned into additional income. I also taught high speed driving at Road Atlanta for 11 years. The pay sucked, but then, I didn't care
      07-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #188
42pilot
Captain
Rep

So, my final observations of this tune are, at the delivered settings, it's a good package and really helps throttle response around town. I did not see any rise in any temp I monitored, except when I kept it floored, and even then it was just a quick spike in EGT and oil. BTW, this vehicle has a great radiator as the temps didn't get above 185 on a 90 degree day. Oil temps stayed at a very nice 215 most of the time. But again, I would not use this tune when pulling a trailer on a trip - EGT temps would rise and probably throw a code at the worst time.

Anyway, for the price, the chip is a good deal simply for it's improved drivability properties for this motor. As for the claim of better economy, I would say that's total crap. I put a couple hundred miles on the chip and filled up, calculating 25 mpg when I was seeing +28 without it. This only makes sense since the chip only affects fueling between 1500 and 3500 rpm - by increasing it. So, unless you're shifting or cruising below 1500 rpm (about 60mph), you're going to be using more fuel - period.

I did not try any other settings since the delivered settings are fine with me, so I can't comment about them. It would seem 1.5% for each click is not going to make much difference in fuel or power, but that's up to you to change.

If I take a trip, I will unhook the chip and cruise with the BMW tune. Around town, I'll use the chip and sacrifice the decreased economy for improved throttle response.

I also think this chip now gives us diesel owners the best of both worlds - equal HP (about 300-ish) to the 3L gasser with better torque, and the economy of a diesel.
      07-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #189
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Don't know about the DME's. I just know it was a full ECU tune - all software and no piggyback. As you can imagine, I asked tons of questions and watched the BMW dealer tech install the tune.

Anyway, call Dinan yourself and ask them, or check out their website for the 2011 F10.
      07-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #190
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

@42pilot, thank you for your solid review. I'm going to be installing the Ultimate version for my 5.0i on Monday.
      07-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #191
XLR8_24/7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

42pilot & greentrbo95gst: Since the both of you have been running the tune for a while now, can you provide some updates about how it is working and if you have run into any problems using the tune? Just wanting to hear your thoughts about the increased performance and reliability. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #192
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

4500 miles on the tune so far all in E/2 setting. A lot more pick up and the car doesn't feel sluggish. I wish top end power was more, but I keep on forgetting it's not an m5. Gas mileage is the same, nothing really improved, but I also had a heavier foot with more torque. Stays around 26.4 mpg avg between city/hwy.
In Sport+ setting if I launch it hard it spins all four tires. I've had no warning lights and no check engine lights so far and the install itself took about 4 minutes on the second try and 15 minutes on the first as I was very anal with the zip ties.
Sorry for the short review, but I am at work on my cell phone.
      07-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #193
XLR8_24/7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

greentrbo95gst: Thank you for taking the time to respond. That is the type of information I was wanting to know. Glad to hear the tune is working as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #194
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8_24/7 View Post
greentrbo95gst: Thank you for taking the time to respond. That is the type of information I was wanting to know. Glad to hear the tune is working as advertised.
I only wish we had more top end power, but I think this comes form me being used to my M5.
      07-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #195
42pilot
Captain
Rep

My tune is good. I have it set to the delivered settings and might try it on the higher settings this weekend. I like it for the improved drivability, but around town it knocked my economy down 2mpg. Since it works on fueling between 1500 and 3500, HP is not going to be affected - its all torque. To get real HP, it needs to fuel above 3500 (which will raise temps big time) and a VGT turbo. But as it is now, it will give any 3L gasser serious run.
      07-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #196
42pilot
Captain
Rep

UPDATE

My chip is starting to throw a P026D code. This is really frustrating since my code reader doesn't clear the code.

Let's see what the mfg tells me...
      07-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #197
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE

My chip is starting to throw a P026D code. This is really frustrating since my code reader doesn't clear the code.

Let's see what the mfg tells me...
What makes you think it's the chip?
It's a generic code known for fuel pump or injectors on BMW's.
      07-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #198
42pilot
Captain
Rep

It's the chip - I unplugged it from the fuel rail and the code CEL went out after 20-ish miles. I'm working with customer service to see if its the wiring harness or the chip. It's also the code these chips will throw according to RaceChip US. Frankly, I hope the board needs to be replaced. If not, it means the factory setting is too hot for my motor and I consider the factory setting middle of the road.