BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2024, 11:51 PM   #1
axtivist
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Rod bearing and valve stem seal replacement cost

I own a 2016 X6M with 70k miles and i recently took it to a local shop that specializes in foreign cars because i started to hear a ticking noise coming from the top of the engine and also white smoke coming from the exhaust sometimes at stops, i was told the ticking is coming from inside the engine and that it could maybe be a rocker arm that broke or maybe the rod bearings and was quoted $7500 parts and labor to replace the rod bearings with upgraded ones aswell as arp studs and to replace the valve stem seals, the price seems very steep to me and was just wondering if anyones had this job done and if thats usually around how much it costs?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

That’s A LOT of work. To do the rod bearings the subframe has to be dropped. To do the valve stem seals you have to remove a ton of stuff. And they’re two totally separate jobs, so no labor savings. Not sure it’s $7500 worth of labor and parts, but knowing just rod bearings on an e92 M3 are usually around $2500-3000 and taking the top off of an S63 is way more work than that it doesn’t seem too far fetched. I was quoted $3000 for just valve gaskets on my N63TU, and there’s significantly more labor involved in just getting to the valve covers on the S63TU due to needing to remove the turbos and then also replacing the valve seals.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

First stop driving this thing around, because if it is the head or rod bearings and you continue to keep on driving. You maybe up for a $30k+ price tag.

As ^ mentioned, its a lot of work to do either job and its a several day job for either. Rod bearings are approx. 3 days and stem seals is 2. If they are planning on doing both, realistically for ease of working they will be dropping the entire engine. As it is easier to do the stem seals outside of the car.

I would ask for a detailed plan on what exactly they are planning on doing and how.

The thing that is kinda questioning/need clarity on is the mention of ARP Studs. ARP don't make Rod bolts for factory rods. If that $7,500 has ARP studs in the conversation. That means they are planning on tearing the heads off. Not a bad thing, as it maybe needed (you smoke is white, blown head gasket/seen CO2 in water).

But again, get a detailed plan form them in writing and maybe tow it to another shop for a 2nd opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:46 PM   #4
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

They don't make ARP studs for the s63 engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:50 PM   #5
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

RB are like $1500 ish out the door in southern California.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:21 AM   #6
JosephSanders
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I need some suggestions about it, I am new here. Have you ever thought about how easy it will be for you if a professional writer helps you with your writing work, like assignments, essays, and many more things? If yes, then I want to share my favourite https://stateofwriting.com/ website, which I have used in college to complete the work. You can trust them with your work because they are professional writers and best of all, they are very professional.

Last edited by JosephSanders; 04-21-2024 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0