BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

E70 35d x5d v f15 35d experiences

For folks that now have their f15 x5 35d and previously owned the e70 35d can you share some feedback?

The good and the bad is all fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

I can finally answer my own question as I had a chance to test drive the new F15 35d for 30 minutes today. I have being driving a E70 35d for the last 5 years so was looking forward to the new F15 diesel.

Overall its just as good as the old E70 with a few notable observations ... It's very quiet. So is the whole car though, but at 70mph I don't think anyone could tell they were in a diesel. The new 8 speed gearbox is also very impressive with no real noticeable shift unless you stick you're foot down. At idle again is quiet .. way more so than the old E70. If you wind the wind down ... You will however be reminded its a diesel.

As with the old car diesel engine acceleration felt good but not like a rocket ship. The good thing is, it will pretty much feel the same way whether there's just you or a car full of people and luggage in the car.

The car was in M sport trim and overall looked good. Wish the kidneys were titanium rather than black. The car didn't have active cruise which is a shame because I wanted to try that out.

Overall though, sat in the driving seat of the new F15 BMW diesel is a very nice place to be.

Did I order one? No .... I'm going to wait for next years and let others help BMW fix some of those new car gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Thanks for the test drive review...
So you didnt feel the 10 less hp and 12 less torques?

I've had an e70x5d LCI for a couple of years and would love some improvements:

- Quiet the diesel engine clacking down = but from your review, it's the interior sound dampening that has improved on the F15 and not the actual exterior engine noise, correct?

- Off the line acceleration lag. Was it any better in the F15x5d?

- Better gas mileage. I average 23 after a full tank in mixed driving .... but I think the 8 speed in the F15 should improve that. BMW claimed 19/26 on the e70x5d and now claims 23/31 on the F15x5d. If I get 23 off their 19/26 claim, then I should expect to see 27/28 on the F15.

- Softer seats. I got the 45-way adjustable Multi-Contour upgraded seats, but I still think they are too hard for my soft bottom. I actually drove a non-Contour seat e70x5d the other day and the seats felt softer. Any noticable improvement there?

- Steering is too heavy. I drove a new F15x5 gas 35i loaner for a few days and the new electric steering made it feel like my old e46m3. It was euphoric. I assume it's the same steering system in the F15x5d?

- Better electronics. Which I think the F15 has the improved iDrive and some extra features that are nice.

Last edited by mastek; 02-17-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

I'm picking my F15 up next week and will drive it 600 miles back from the dealership. Should have some good comparison summations to give after that. I have test driven the gas version of the F15, so I'll leave out the driving/quiet factors.

I am a huge fan of the upgraded technology. I'm a fiend for new tech and BMW got me hook, line, and sinker with this model. The voice control never worked well in my E70, but I haven't tried it in the F15 yet. I'm also hoping the Bluetooth & USB benefits are a little stronger this time around. Drawing letters worked superbly for me.

The steering was the most surprising difference upon first drive. It is much lighter in the F15. I think I'm going to get used to it just fine; it certainly wasn't a turn-off.

Speaking of turn-offs, this will be my first car with an idle engine shut down. Most people I know have it disabled or turn the feature off every time they get in the car. I didn't find the F15s to be that annoying. However, diesel might make that slightly different.

Oh yeah, and one last thing that makes the F15 faaaaar superior to the E70: sunglasses compartment jk

Past Bimmers: E46 M3, E60 M5, and a few Spec E30 race cars
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Thanks for the test drive review...
So you didnt feel the 10 less hp and 12 less torques?

I've had an e70x5d LCI for a couple of years and would love some improvements:

- Quiet the diesel engine clacking down = but from your review, it's the interior sound dampening that has improved on the F15 and not the actual exterior engine noise, correct?

- Off the line acceleration lag. Was it any better in the F15x5d?

- Better gas mileage. I average 23 after a full tank in mixed driving .... but I think the 8 speed in the F15 should improve that. BMW claimed 19/26 on the e70x5d and now claims 23/31 on the F15x5d. If I get 23 off their 19/26 claim, then I should expect to see 27/28 on the F15.

- Softer seats. I got the 45-way adjustable Multi-Contour upgraded seats, but I still think they are too hard for my soft bottom. I actually drove a non-Contour seat e70x5d the other day and the seats felt softer. Any noticable improvement there?

- Steering is too heavy. I drove a new F15x5 gas 35i loaner for a few days and the new electric steering made it feel like my old e46m3. It was euphoric. I assume it's the same steering system in the F15x5d?

- Better electronics. Which I think the F15 has the improved iDrive and some extra features that are nice.
No I didn't notice any difference in overall "performance". The new car is a bit lighter than the old so that probably offsets the hp reduction. I would have preferred a performance upgrade though like the European 40d model. There you go.

Funny you mention the seats. Now I have the famous e70 sports seats which most people hated. Therefore I found the new f15 msport seats kind of soft with not much of a bucket. Actually I was disappointed with them.

Yes, steering if very different and when you select sport or sport+ modes it changes characteristics again. I did like the new steering.

Yes, the new idrive 4.2 system is an improvement over older version. The new central screen is superb. Idrive is getting a big update in 2015 though.

Jury is out on HUD though. Although new HUD supports more colors I still prefer my old e70 HUD. Guess I'm so use to it anything else doesn't seem quite right.
Appreciate 0