BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Unhappy 2014 xdrive35 X-Line Crossbars (Flush Roof Rails)

I haven't found this issue discussed specifically elsewhere.

I have a 2014 xdrive35 x-line x5. It came with "flush roof rails," meaning that there is a roof rail that comes out of the roof for the length of the roof, but there is no gap between the top and bottom of the roof rail, and it's just a solid piece of metal. The lack of openings in the flush roof rails has made it more difficult to acquire crossbars that will fit.

Yakima inaccurately directed me to their S-46 Whispbar, which I purchased. It did not fit because I have flush roof rails. (After arguing with me for 5 minutes, they finally conceded their recommendation engine erred, so they've opened a ticket.)

BMW dealership's Parts Dep't. states that it has a crossbar that should work, but online it's depicted as needing gaps in the rail to attach to, which again would be incompatible with a flush side rail.

Does anyone else have flush roof rails on their x-line and if so, what crossbars have worked well? (Looking for low profile, low noise, if possible. Like Yakima a lot due to the same key system, but will defect if necessary.)

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
There are/were two types of roof rails on E70, one of which is this same type. I had it on my X5M.

Get the OEM BMW cross rails that fit the flush rails - much easier to work with (but still a pain to install). They have a clamp that basically pulls up onto the ridge in the rail to hold everything on.

I used to have my Thule roof box on the top of the whole thing - worked fine...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg
There are/were two types of roof rails on E70, one of which is this same type. I had it on my X5M.

Get the OEM BMW cross rails that fit the flush rails - much easier to work with (but still a pain to install). They have a clamp that basically pulls up onto the ridge in the rail to hold everything on.

I used to have my Thule roof box on the top of the whole thing - worked fine...
Agree.

For context, look at pics of the F25 X3 system (it has been out longer). Same set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the tip. My only hesitation with OEM was perhaps these are noisy, and not wanting to carry another key around. I will look into it!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybd2 View Post
Thank you for the tip. My only hesitation with OEM was perhaps these are noisy, and not wanting to carry another key around. I will look into it!
The OEM ones are a pain to install.... Once ski season started, I just left mine on the entire time (planned to remove at the end of ski season, but lemoned the car before that)

Not super quiet, but as long as the sunroof is closed you won't hear them up there alone....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I have a set of Whisbars that I used on an F25 X3 and a set of the BMW crossbars from an E70, which did not have the flush rails. They're both the same in terms of how they grasp the cross bar and presumably both will work on the F15 I just picked up today (I can adjust the whisbars to be wider). I can say the whisbars are definitely noticeably quieter than the BMW bars (which I believe are made by Thule or one of the other companies).

Here's a pic of the whisbars on the X3. More useful since I can put the mounts wider for other cars, and have a wider base to put things on, but I like the more flush look of the bmw bars better (instead of sticking out past the mounts). I don't like the look of any of these as a permanent thing, so never leave them on for more than a few weeks at a time. Personally, I don't find it difficult to put them on and off at all. Once they're assembled (the BMW bars come assembled), it's just a matter of loosening one bolt (using an alan key) on each side of the bars, so 4 bolts total. Takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes tops.

Name:  IMG_5568.JPG
Views: 4394
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5732.JPG
Views: 4810
Size:  120.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
ybd2
Enlisted Member
Rep