BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

UK 4.0dM Ordered today.

Just say a big thank you to everyone on this site who has helped directly or indirectly from video posting, pictures, feedback good and bad.
Without this hugely valuable site I would have ended up ordering a car without being 100% sure of what I was getting - given the 12 week wait ahead of me before deliver this would have been stressful to say the least!

After (very) long and careful decision my specification ordered is as follows:

4.0dM - I currently have and trading in an E70 3.0dM and really fancied the extra grunt of the twin turbo.
Space Grey with Ivory/Black interior - Would have loved the blue but not available for M Sport - Wife thinks I'm nuts going with Ivory with two kids but am so tired of dull black leather.
Panoramic Roof
Driver Assist Plus - for the Traffic Assist option, plus like the improved dash/dial layout
Aux heating with Remote - If it works, the concept of having a warmed cabin at 5am frost free would be worth cost.
Surround Camera/Top Down
Reverse Camera
Comfort Seats front
Heated Seats
Soft Close doors
Brushed Aluminium
Extended Storage
Adaptive LED Headlights - This was a last minute decision that was helped by viewing the BMW promo video on the technology. I think its linked to the 5 series forum.
Connected Drive package.
Standard Loudspeaker system
3rd row seats (5 and 1 year old)

I got a deal from my local BMW dealer that I am very happy with. The word is that there aren't any BMW specific discounts, however the dealer was able to offer me a deal from my old car plus a repayment figure that really worked.
If anyone wants further details feel free to PM me.
Expected delivery is end of Feb.

Now, comes the hard part.... the wait!

Last edited by x5pilot; 12-10-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Just say a big thank you to everyone on this site who has helped directly or indirectly from video posting, pictures, feedback good and bad.
Without this hugely valuable site I would have ended up ordering a car without being 100% sure of what I was getting - given the 12 week wait ahead of me before deliver this would have been stressful to say the least!

After (very) long and careful decision my specification ordered is as follows:

4.0dM - I currently have and trading in an E70 3.0dM and really fancied the extra grunt of the twin turbo.
Space Grey with Ivory/Black interior - Would have loved the blue but not available for M Sport - Wife thinks I'm nuts going with Ivory with two kids but am so tired of dull black leather.
Panoramic Roof
Driver Assist Plus - for the Traffic Assist option, plus like the improved dash/dial layout
Aux heating with Remote - If it works, the concept of having a warmed cabin at 5am frost free would be worth cost.
Surround Camera/Top Down
Reverse Camera
Comfort Seats front
Heated Seats
Soft Close doors
Brushed Aluminium
Extended Storage
Adaptive LED Headlights - This was a last minute decision that was helped by viewing the BMW promo video on the technology. I think its linked to the 5 series forum.
Connected Drive package.
Standard Loudspeaker system
3rd row seats (5 and 1 year old)

I got a deal from my local BMW dealer that I am very happy with. The word is that there aren't any BMW specific discounts, however the dealer was able to offer me a deal from my old car plus a repayment figure that really worked.
If anyone wants further details feel free to PM me.
Expected delivery is end of Feb.

Now, comes the hard part.... the wait!
I would add some cash for non-standard sound. I heard hi fi option (not Harman Kardon) and it sounded pretty good and was mega value for money.

Great car! Enjoy it. I am going from 40d to 30d and that is a lot worse from your situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
UK 4.0d order

Hi

ordered a 4.0d SE also this week, delivery estimate mid March

grey / black/ american wood

Experience external package
comfort seats and access
HUD
7 seats
Harmon Kardon
side steps
sun protection glass
LED headlights
sports steering wheel

Usual post order concerns..........

Only concern now is should I have ordered some sort of extra suspension package for such a fast car, I understand that the 7 seats give you some sort of rear suspension improvement but cannot find any details. Can anyone help

Also what is the difference in dashboards? , the 3.0D SE I test drove dashboard was fine, and i was pleased to see an oil temperature gauge, do some have LED dashboards like Range Rovers?

many thanks in anticipation
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I'd consider getting the adaptive comfort suspension (dynamic damper control) otherwise it's steel springs.

If you ordered HUD I think you'll get the part LCD display rather than the older pure analogue one.

What about sport auto? Is that std? Any reason not m sport spec instead of SE? Will prob work out the same cost for msport if you add on adaptive comfort suspension to the SE. The 7 seats are cheaper and comfort seats much cheaper on msport, plus you get the dynamic dampers as standard. Better resale too.

If you add the Adaptive Comfort or Dynamic Suspension to the SE, it reduces the cost of the 3rd row seating by £420 - that is because 3rd row seating includes the Rear Air Suspension.

EDIT: Ah see you went for the experience external pack which explains the SE decision. Doh!

Last edited by archivedaccount; 12-13-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
UK 4.0d

Yes liked the experience external look more, even though it did knock up the price of all of the seats!.

Will probably leave the suspension, I am sure it will be fine for someone who doesn't drive too fast, and i am sure the handling will be better than the GL or G class that I considered!

Cant be a 100% sure but from memory of test drive of a non HUD, non driving assistant plus, car was that the dashboard was a lot more colourful than my 2007 E70, and may have had the better dash, wonder if this is a UK build with extended dash as standard, certainly nothing in brochure about different dashboards
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah the price soon racks up when the kids are let loose in the sweet shop lol.

Re LCD dash, I think the only way to tell is that the newer dash has orange slanted line graphics at the bottom of the display. There's a few threads and pics about it in this forum.

I have a car about to go into production (3.0dmsport), due for delivery end jan. Was considering swapping 3.0d for the 4.0d as the real cost after discount and depreciation is only £1.5k, but don't want to delay the order. Do you know when prod starts on the 4.0d? I was hoping to just swap the spec and keep my dates?!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
Sorry don't know production date, ordered Tuesday, delivery 2nd week march. Can you add more sweeties after ordering?, do you just ask dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You can change the spec right up until just before it goes into production. I normally drive the stealers bonkers with all my changes but have been good to date. Only 4 changes lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
wow, where is the pricelist
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

I added the improved sound system today - only my 3rd addition for my dealer!
I know its a real pain for them, but Im sure they're well paid!
Think you have on average about 5 - 7 days to make changes until the order is frozen.
regarding the dashboards... according to some of the thread here isnt it different when the Driver Assist Plus package is order and not specifically the HUD?

Good luck on your build!
Which dealer did you buy from?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Congratulations on your order! I have also ordered the 40d M-sport with delivery 1st week in April.

Regarding the instrument cluster, since we are both from Europe, in Sweden the extended cluster is tied to the HUD and no other package. I don't know if this is true in the UK but it might be worth getting it confirmed. In my opinion the standard cluster should not even be an option in the new X5. It totally lets down the rest of the interior, which is one of the best. I don't really care for HUD, but ticked it just to get the extended cluster.

The HK sounds good, and is also good value for money (not very common when it comes to BMW...).

The the wait being
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
yes looking at US site you get the upgrade dashboard when you order Driver Assistance Package (HUD and reversing camera), not available as package in UK. In US if you order the Driver Assistance Plus you have to also order the Driver Assistance Package.

Hopefully HUD = upgrade. Personally cannot see why as if you have HUD you spend less time looking at dashboard.

Still can't decide about suspension but tempted to leave standard SE set up + 3rd row seat back axle changes. Interestingly dynamic pack in UK brochure does not mention any actual suspension changes whereas with E70 you got sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
Congratulations on your order! I have also ordered the 40d M-sport with delivery 1st week in April.

Regarding the instrument cluster, since we are both from Europe, in Sweden the extended cluster is tied to the HUD and no other package. I don't know if this is true in the UK but it might be worth getting it confirmed. In my opinion the standard cluster should not even be an option in the new X5. It totally lets down the rest of the interior, which is one of the best. I don't really care for HUD, but ticked it just to get the extended cluster.

The HK sounds good, and is also good value for money (not very common when it comes to BMW...).

The the wait being
April!!! OMG!!

~5 months order to delivery is crazy.

I'd better get my order in soon if I want it 1st May to match end of lease of my E70.

Any idea when build date is? Mid February?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well that's it, mine has gone into production and I have a partial VIN. No more spending the kids inheritance for me lol

BTW the Dynamic Pack definitely doesn't come with any additional suspension option. That's why the M-Sport package is such good value if you want to:
- upgrade the standard seats,
- add 19"+ wheels,
- add adaptive suspension
- and/or add 3rd row seats

Last edited by archivedaccount; 12-15-2013 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #15
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
April!!! OMG!!

~5 months order to delivery is crazy.

I'd better get my order in soon if I want it 1st May to match end of lease of my E70.

Any idea when build date is? Mid February?
The estimated production date is week 5 (end of january) and estimated delivery is first week in april. The dealer reckons that it might be here one or two weeks earlier, but then I might risk having to put winters on in (depending on the snow situation in Sweden). So I will wait until april 1st to pick it up anyway.

The shipping times to Sweden are quite long, because the cars go to Germany before being shipped to by boat to the west coast of Sweden and then up to the east coast (Stockholm). So generally it takes 8 weeks from the US until it's at the dealers.

The 30d and 50d have shorter lead times, but I wanted the 40d.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Placed my order on 5th December for 40dM.
Order locked and officially submitted on Friday 13th...
Delivery confirmed for week of 17th March.
Not ideal as I was hoping for end of Feb but perhaps it might come early.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Placed my order on 5th December for 40dM.
Order locked and officially submitted on Friday 13th...
Delivery confirmed for week of 17th March.
Not ideal as I was hoping for end of Feb but perhaps it might come early.
FRIDAY 13th..."..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Yes, thanks Mike! I did notice that as I was typing!!
At least there is little chance of it being delivered on a Friday 13th!
(Flicking through a calender as I post this!...)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
[...]wonder if this is a UK build with extended dash as standard, certainly nothing in brochure about different dashboards
I ordered mine on Saint Nicholas day in the UK as well. I had a chance to be in touch with a well-informed and surprisingly (as for BMW) very professional sales rep who double-checked and confirmed to me (in writing) that all UK-specified F15s come with 6WA (extended black panel) as standard and it's linked to Nav Pro fitted as standard (unlike here in Luxembourg, in Germany or in Belgium - I verified at all 4 locations to find the best price before finally ordering on the cheapest EU motor-market, which currently seems to be UK).
The basic cluster is not available at all in the UK (though it's a default one in Luxembourg or in Germany if you don't take the Nav Pro). One of many reasons why the difference of the same spec'ced vehicle bought in the UK Vs. Luxembourg, Germany and Belgium = exactly 10.897,54 EUR left in my pocket
Initially, I even wanted to wait till late April for 6WB (full display) available but delivery times for LHDs in the UK are a bit longer, so I wouldn't get my truck for summer in such case, which was the whole point of getting the 7-seater for family's next vacation anyway...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Great info, thanks for sharing and for clearing up the LCD queries.

Good to hear the UK are cheapest for once
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Great info, thanks for sharing and for clearing up the LCD queries.

Good to hear the UK are cheapest for once
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
a wee change

decided today to forgo the 1 second 0-62 difference and changed from 4.0d to 3.0d.

Added Experience Mocha interior with american oak and Adaptive Comfort suspension as a compensation

so final order

3.0D SE
steel grey/ mocha/ american wood
Experience external and interior package
HUD
comfort access
comfort front seats
sun protection glass
harmon kardon
LED lights
7 seats

roll on new year