BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

22" wheels and tires question

I just got 22"s installed. Running the standard tire set that everyone has: 295/30/22 front and 335/25/22 rear. My OEMs were 285/35/21 and 325/30/21. My question is, why are the new wheels narrower than my OEMs? Both front and rear are narrower. Am I missing something here? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

I should also mention that my OEMs were run flats. The new ones on 22" are not. Could that be why even though the numbers are the other way around? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I believe you are asking why the tires themselves are narrower, not the wheels/rims, correct?

How wide are the wheels/rims by themselves, what are the specs for the rims.

Different brand/model tires, can look a bit different, depending on the sidewall construction, even if same width tread patch.
Is the total tire width narrower, or is it the tread patch touching the ground that is narrower in your case?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #4
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I believe you are asking why the tires themselves are narrower, not the wheels/rims, correct?

How wide are the wheels/rims by themselves, what are the specs for the rims.

Different brand/model tires, can look a bit different, depending on the sidewall construction, even if same width tread patch.
Is the total tire width narrower, or is it the tread patch touching the ground that is narrower in your case?
Hey! Thank you for the reply, you definitely know what's up. So here's what I can see, I compared both rims mounted and laid them flat on the ground, my OEM stands taller. So I'm talking about the overall width. After the new wheels are installed, I can definitely tell from looking at the car in the rear that I lost the "fat" look. My OEM Dunlop sport 325 run flats were so meaty and wide which Ioved. Now I'm a bit disappointed the ones are narrower. New wheels are 9 in the front and 10.5 in the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #5
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Never mind guys. I found the answer. It was a dumb question. It was because my new rims are 1" narrower than the OEM (just looked up the spec). Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutF15 View Post
Never mind guys. I found the answer. It was a dumb question. It was because my new rims are 1" narrower than the OEM (just looked up the spec). Oh well.
Where these OEM reps
Or another after market brand?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Where these OEM reps
The new ones are aftermarket. The ones removed were OEM 215 style on RFT. I basically lost 1" width all around with the new rims spec
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where these OEM reps
The new ones are aftermarket. The ones removed were OEM 215 style on RFT. I basically lost 1" width all around with the new rims spec
Yea sometimes the reps can get tricky to get around patent laws they make changes. You need at least 10% variation to get past a design patent so some will
Play with offset, width and size till they feel they reach the 10% threshold.

So you have to watch the specs like a eagle or it can screw you up.

The ones that are close to 100% never last to long and get discontinued pretty quickly.

The Audi ones I got for the TT had a slight offset difference and I needed spacers in order to clear the calipers. So I know your pain!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where these OEM reps
Yea sometimes the reps can get tricky to get around patent laws they make changes. You need at least 10% variation to get past a design patent so some will

The ones that are close to 100% never last to long and get discontinued pretty quickly.

The Audi ones I got for the TT had a slight offset difference and I needed spacers in order to clear the calipers. So I know your pain!
I should clarify I didn't get reps. I got aftermarket rims. Different style from OEM
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where these OEM reps

I should clarify I didn't get reps. I got aftermarket rims. Different style from OEM
Sorry was scanning with my phone and saw style 215 and just assumed lol. Serves me right! .
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys I know I lost an inch in width all the way around with the new wheels compare to my OEM 21". Not ideal but I can live with. So I've researched and found the recommendation for tires to not exceed 2" in width than the rim. My new setup has a 3" variance all 4 corners with tires being wider. Do you think it's safe?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #12
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Guys I know I lost an inch in width all the way around with the new wheels compare to my OEM 21". Not ideal but I can live with. So I've researched and found the recommendation for tires to not exceed 2" in width than the rim. My new setup has a 3" variance all 4 corners with tires being wider. Do you think it's safe?
I'm running 22" reps. 10" wide front & 11" wide rear. I'm running Atturo AZ850 tires. Looking at the spec sheet they recommend at least 11.5" wide wheel for the 335/25/R22 tire. I was worried but haven't had any issues with this setup in the 2 years I've been running it. I actually like the look of the rear tire mounted on the more narrow back wheel. Has a slightly more rounded sideway then the front. In other words I think you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #13
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
I'm running 22" reps. 10" wide front & 11" wide rear. I'm running Atturo AZ850 tires. Looking at the spec sheet they recommend at least 11.5" wide wheel for the 335/25/R22 tire. I was worried but haven't had any issues with this setup in the 2 years I've been running it. I actually like the look of the rear tire mounted on the more narrow back wheel. Has a slightly more rounded sideway then the front. In other words I think you'll be fine.
Yea you're .5" over. I'm 1" over. Glad to hear your setup has been fine. Wheel shop told me not to worry but I just don't want to damage anything and more importantly worry about safety. When I look at the wheels from straig top down, I don't see the side walls bodging out. It's pretty flush with just a tag over the rim lip. I actually feel it's better that way so the rims are little mode protected from scraping on the curb. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #14
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Yea you're .5" over. I'm 1" over. Glad to hear your setup has been fine. Wheel shop told me not to worry but I just don't want to damage anything and more importantly worry about safety. When I look at the wheels from straig top down, I don't see the side walls bodging out. It's pretty flush with just a tag over the rim lip. I actually feel it's better that way so the rims are little mode protected from scraping on the curb. Thanks for the insight.
Yeah I was worried like you, I'm a worrier lol. Don't let that touch of sidewall fool you into thinking it will protect the wheel though. I've curbed mine several times Since mine are black, thank God for black nail polish...hides it well.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #15
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Any difference in ride quality? I am currently checking the aftermarket wheels on 4wheelonline, and can't decide yet whether to get 21's or 22's.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarden View Post
Quote:
Any difference in ride quality? I am currently checking the aftermarket wheels on 4wheelonline, and can't decide yet whether to get 21's or 22's.
From 21 to 22? Or RFT to regular tire? Though I have thinner tires going from 21 to 22, but No noticeable difference in ride quality for me since i went from RFT to non RFT. The run flats are kind of stiff to ride on, but I know they would protect the rims much better than regular tires would. I now have to be super careful about running over potholes or bumps.
Appreciate 1
cbarden49.00