06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
- the HVAC seemed to work well, but it took a long time to cool the car down.
- the "screen" for the panoramic sunroof. Most cars have a solid sunroof screen, but the Q7's is translucent and thin and does little to keep the heat out. You can actually see the sunlight through the pores in the screen.
Could these two be related? Sun getting in, therefore A/C not being able to keep up with the sun and the heat from the sunroof glass? I know the glass makes a huge difference because on hot day the cabin gets hotter even I am in a shade (under parking lot, garage etc) the moment I open the solid screen on my X5's sunroof. The glass retains terrible heat, just like the windshield. X5 will also struggle with A/C because you are constantly getting heat into cabin through windshield if solid screen is open.

I asked Q7 owners about the perforated screen, and they said they didn't mind. Maybe they don't get 100F temperatures where they live, but this would seriously bother me. I wish Audi at least gave an option for a solid screen. Any idea why they went with this? Were they worried it would get wrinkles or crumple up if it was snagged or something, since the roof is practically all glass. I like the interior nice, dim and calm, plus solid roof hides the few pieces of sand/dirt I may have on the floor.. Helps keep the vacuum cleaner away.

Quote:
- Some of the tech "options". Some of the menus in the virtual cockpit didn't seem very well thought out. I asked myself a couple of times, "That's it?" I could say the same for the entertainment/Nav screen in the center dash. Navigating through the music folders on my USB flash drive wasn't easy with the virtual cockpit either. I had to transition back to the main center screen and navigate the folders from there.
- In dynamic mode, the ZF transmission seemed a little clunky, particularly when needing to slow momentarily for traffic and then quickly speed back up (typical autobahn). It seems confused a little about which gear to pick.
- While I love heated seats, they didn't seem to get as warm as I would have liked, or what I'm used to. Same for the heated steering wheel.

The transmission, did you try the pedal shifters? How quickly do they downshift, because going from E70 to F15, I couldn't believe how gappy the transmission was when you downshift manually. It's a shame, when you are going down the highway and you want to downshift taking turns with engine breaking, BMW tranny feels like slipping, it doesn't rally slip but it feels like it stays in neutral way longer than it should. Forget about dropping from M/S 7 to M/S 4.. You better keep your foot on brake because it will actually speed up a little before it slows down.

I got used to clunky heated steering wheels of german vehicles, why do they do that? BMW's is one of the worst I've seen, though. I can't imagine Q7s being worse.

Thanks so much for the great feedback on Q7, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate it.
      06-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #24
kry226
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Could these two be related? Sun getting in, therefore A/C not being able to keep up with the sun and the heat from the sunroof glass? I know the glass makes a huge difference because on hot day the cabin gets hotter even I am in a shade (under parking lot, garage etc) the moment I open the solid screen on my X5's sunroof. The glass retains terrible heat, just like the windshield. X5 will also struggle with A/C because you are constantly getting heat into cabin through windshield if solid screen is open.

I asked Q7 owners about the perforated screen, and they said they didn't mind. Maybe they don't get 100F temperatures where they live, but this would seriously bother me. I wish Audi at least gave an option for a solid screen. Any idea why they went with this? Were they worried it would get wrinkles or crumple up if it was snagged or something, since the roof is practically all glass. I like the interior nice, dim and calm, plus solid roof hides the few pieces of sand/dirt I may have on the floor.. Helps keep the vacuum cleaner away.
I'm sure they're related. Glass does retain a tremendous amount of heat. I call Texas home and it's definitely a concern should we look further at the Q7. I think (but not sure) they went with the soft screen because it rolls up when you open it. The sunroof is so large, I don't think there's room to open the screen unless it collapses in some way. Don't claim to be a sunroof expert, but I know the Q7's screen really does contribute to high heat in the cab.

Quote:
The transmission, did you try the pedal shifters? How quickly do they downshift, because going from E70 to F15, I couldn't believe how gappy the transmission was when you downshift manually. It's a shame, when you are going down the highway and you want to downshift taking turns with engine breaking, BMW tranny feels like slipping, it doesn't rally slip but it feels like it stays in neutral way longer than it should. Forget about dropping from M/S 7 to M/S 4.. You better keep your foot on brake because it will actually speed up a little before it slows down.

I got used to clunky heated steering wheels of german vehicles, why do they do that? BMW's is one of the worst I've seen, though. I can't imagine Q7s being worse.
I did try the shifters a little, but admittedly not too much. I would have gotten "that look" if I had gotten too sporty on the A-Bahn. They shifted, but that's about all I noticed. I've never had a vehicle with paddle shifters so I'm not used to them. Otherwise the transmission worked well and I really think a lot of ZF transmissions. I think it just got twisted up in some of the high demand situations we got into on the autobahn. Also, the car only had about 3,300 miles on it. It was essentially new and probably hadn't had the rough edges smoothed out yet.

As for the steering wheel, I liked it. I'm not crazy about scroll wheels, but they worked. And it was comfortable to drive. But it didn't seem like it heated quickly and it didn't get nearly as warm as my X1.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the great feedback on Q7, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate it.
No worries, sir. I hope it helps folks make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 2
hyde488.00
      06-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #25
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 XDrive 35i

Quote:
First post over in this section, but I'm in a similar boat and currently looking at the X5/Q7 type SUVs. Wife really wants a 3rd row, so models without that, aren't really in contention.

I currently own an X1 35i and live 300 yards from the nearest BMW dealer, and 400 yards from Audi... point being that I have the opportunity to check these two cars out extensively. In fact, over the Memorial Day weekend, we rented a nicely equipped, European version of the 2017 Q7 S-Line. It did have the 3.0 TDI which isn't available in the States.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, but as a BMW owner and fan, I was very impressed with the Q7. I tried my best to put it through it's paces...hauling cargo, hauling a full load of kids (all 7 seats full), and even trying to rip up the autobahn a little.

I had little trouble getting up to and maintaining 225 kph, traffic depending, and the Dynamic driving mode held the road firmly. In all modes, the car handled wonderfully and felt much smaller than it actually is.

What I liked:
- The leather. Despite being black (I hate black interiors), the leather didn't get as hot as you would expect and last weekend was quite warm by German standards (85+ degrees). Our version didn't have the ventilated seats. Wish it did.
- Seats were very comfortable and I particularly liked the ability to customize the heated seats. I have a bad back and I could essentially turn off the seat bottom heat but leave the heat on in the seat back. AWESOME.
- Room. There was plenty of room for everyone, and the third row is the best I've seen, room-wise. By contrast, I sat in an X5 third row yesterday in fact and was extremely disappointed. It seemed like an afterthought. May not be an issue in your world, but it's one of my wife's non-negotiables. Which has hurt because she's wanted an X5 for years. To be fair, the X5 is a good bit shorter than the Q7, IIRC.
- Tech. The virtual cockpit was awesome. It's obviously a gadget at Biblical proportions, but what it offered worked well. We really liked the ability to turn off the 8" screen in the middle of the dash (it drops away INTO the dash).
- Fit and finish was perfect.
- Again, I know it's not available in the U.S., but 3.0L diesel was virtually silent and mileage was awesome. We left Stuttgart and drove to Ulm, then Munich, did all our driving in Munich for the holiday weekend, and drove back to Stuttgart all on about 3/4 of a tank, at autobahn speeds I might add.
- Brakes were awesome and held their own for such a big car

What I didn't like:
- the HVAC seemed to work well, but it took a long time to cool the car down.
- the "screen" for the panoramic sunroof. Most cars have a solid sunroof screen, but the Q7's is translucent and thin and does little to keep the heat out. You can actually see the sunlight through the pores in the screen.
- Some of the tech "options". Some of the menus in the virtual cockpit didn't seem very well thought out. I asked myself a couple of times, "That's it?" I could say the same for the entertainment/Nav screen in the center dash. Navigating through the music folders on my USB flash drive wasn't easy with the virtual cockpit either. I had to transition back to the main center screen and navigate the folders from there.
- I liked the MMI, but the navigation searches and menus were not as intuitive as my X1's iDrive.
- In dynamic mode, the ZF transmission seemed a little clunky, particularly when needing to slow momentarily for traffic and then quickly speed back up (typical autobahn). It seems confused a little about which gear to pick.
- While I love heated seats, they didn't seem to get as warm as I would have liked, or what I'm used to. Same for the heated steering wheel.
- No DEF gauge. I checked the owner's manual, and the best I could find was a statement that said to add DEF when you get the message on the dash. I'm used to diesel pick-ups in the States, which always have gauges.
- the windshield. There must be something different with the new Q7's windshield. My windshield mounted Garmin (tells me where the speed cameras are ) could never get a strong signal through the windshield. This was pretty disappointing and unexpected. Installed back into my X1 and the signal has full bars, so not a malfunction of the Garmin.

I guess that's about it. We really liked the Q7 and it's definitely on our short list. Sorry this is so wordy, but I hope this helps you out with your decision, and feel free to ask any questions. Good luck.
Not wordy at all...really appreciate you taking the time to lay out the pros and cons as you saw them.
Appreciate 1
kry22641.00
      06-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #26
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

I love my 50i with DHP.

But based on what you are saying, I'd go Q7.

Imho, overall it's a better family car.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #27
kry226
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure they're related. Glass does retain a tremendous amount of heat. I call Texas home and it's definitely a concern should we look further at the Q7. I think (but not sure) they went with the soft screen because it rolls up when you open it. The sunroof is so large, I don't think there's room to open the screen unless it collapses in some way. Don't claim to be a sunroof expert, but I know the Q7's screen really does contribute to high heat in the cab.
Just wanted to clarify my comments here a little further. I was just watching a Q5 review on YouTube and the reviewer closed the screen with the sunroof glass still open. I've never seen that capability on a car before. But he said the screen allows light and fresh air into the cab without the sun beating directly down on you. Of course, Audi fans probably knew this years ago.

This makes sense! My wife loves to run with our sunroof open, but once the sun gets high in the sky and starts leaning on me, that sucker gets closed.

Just thought I'd add this clarification. Hope it helps.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to clarify my comments here a little further. I was just watching a Q5 review on YouTube and the reviewer closed the screen with the sunroof glass still open. I've never seen that capability on a car before. But he said the screen allows light and fresh air into the cab without the sun beating directly down on you. Of course, Audi fans probably knew this years ago.

This makes sense! My wife loves to run with our sunroof open, but once the sun gets high in the sky and starts leaning on me, that sucker gets closed.

Just thought I'd add this clarification. Hope it helps.

That's interesting, and a bit odd, to be honest. Does it require you to close the screen when you lock the vehicle? I'd be worried about forgetting it open, also my side sun shades flap like crazy when I leave them on and roll my windows down, wouldn't similar situation happen with the sunroof shade?
      06-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #29
kry226
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting, and a bit odd, to be honest. Does it require you to close the screen when you lock the vehicle? I'd be worried about forgetting it open, also my side sun shades flap like crazy when I leave them on and roll my windows down, wouldn't similar situation happen with the sunroof shade?
I agree, it's different, and something I've never even thought of before. I cannot answer the locking question as I simply don't know that much about Audis and the reviewer didn't discuss that.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #30
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just looked at a few more videos of Q7 3rd row, and surprised to see it's not really a true 3rd row, it's barely bigger than X5's 3rd row. The seats themselves are beefier and a bit higher, but knee-legroom is not much more. I realized most of the videos/promos/reviews actually had the front passenger seat slid forward, then 2nd row pushed forward, only then you have enough room to squeeze a leg in the 3rd row.. I always thought all 3 rows could sit comfortably in Q7.
      06-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #31
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
I just looked at a few more videos of Q7 3rd row, and surprised to see it's not really a true 3rd row, it's barely bigger than X5's 3rd row. The seats themselves are beefier and a bit higher, but knee-legroom is not much more. I realized most of the videos/promos/reviews actually had the front passenger seat slid forward, then 2nd row pushed forward, only then you have enough room to squeeze a leg in the 3rd row.. I always thought all 3 rows could sit comfortably in Q7.
The Q7 interior is deceptively small for such a large car. Have you looked into the Atlas 3rd row I mentioned in your other thread? VW claims the largest 3rd row leg room in its class, which isn't saying much as they're comparing themselves to mid-sized SUVs (X5, Q7, Explorer, 4runner, highlander)
      06-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
The Q7 interior is deceptively small for such a large car. Have you looked into the Atlas 3rd row I mentioned in your other thread? VW claims the largest 3rd row leg room in its class, which isn't saying much as they're comparing themselves to mid-sized SUVs (X5, Q7, Explorer, 4runner, highlander)

The only reason I was considering Q7 is the beautiful interior and the virtual cockpit. It's really a delight to look at. If I have to buy non-digital cluster, I don't think I'd go with Q7. Atlas looks like a very decent SUV fro exterior, I can go even so far to say it looks better than Q7, but that interior feels like a sitting in an older model minivan, or even a pick up truck with those wide borders and sharp cut dash. It's not ugly, but it's dated for a newly designed vehicle.

I feel like if I get another X5, I will be stuck with this dated interior for 3 years, while drooling at what '19 X5 looks like on the inside. For example, look at most recent 550i, nothing drastic but it just looks much more pleasing and welcoming.

09-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #33
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Not to revive a thread unnecessarily but for those who took the time out to offer their opinions, I feel you should at least know I wasn't trolling. Wife/we ended up going with an XC90 Inscription. The deciding factors were utility of the third row when needed, tech(she appreciates it whereas I find it more troublesome), and air ride suspension.

Finalists were Q7(I couldn't sign off on looks alone) and GLS550(it had my vote but not hers).

Any questions, feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to help as I appreciated everyone's input.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #34
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Congratulations, it's a beautiful car none the less, test drove one for a day and I loved it. The car looks really good in white and silver, was it the T8 or settled for the T6? enjoy your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #35
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Congratulations, it's a beautiful car none the less, test drove one for a day and I loved it. The car looks really good in white and silver, was it the T8 or settled for the T6? enjoy your purchase.
Thanks very much. T6. Heard some good things about the T8 but the sales associate didn't seem as high on them as I thought he should have been given we were open to either. His comments were while power and standstill acceleration was noticeable the fuel economy on his driving did not vary as much as you would think given the hybrid tech.

I personally would have opted for it but let the final decision up to my wife so I don't have to hear her thoughts on my four wheeled indulgence next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:39 AM   #36
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBIASED View Post
Not to revive a thread unnecessarily but for those who took the time out to offer their opinions, I feel you should at least know I wasn't trolling. Wife/we ended up going with an XC90 Inscription. The deciding factors were utility of the third row when needed, tech(she appreciates it whereas I find it more troublesome), and air ride suspension.

Finalists were Q7(I couldn't sign off on looks alone) and GLS550(it had my vote but not hers).

Any questions, feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to help as I appreciated everyone's input.

Hey there, make sure to come back and post more about the XC90 here and about X5 over at sweedespeed. We would love to hear what you think about XC90. Nobody will frown upon your comments out here!
Congratulations and enjoy the nice Volvo.
Heavily reliance on brand new tech on Volvo is one thing that worries me, otherwise, I think it's a fine looking vehicle that rides well and feels premium. Q7 looks will grow on most people, give it another year or so, sure the last gen looked a bit better, but the interior sort of makes you forget how it looks on the outside. I passed on the GLS450/550 because it feels big, heavy, boaty and to be honest way too flashy for my taste, especially for the price. If the AMG model was a bit more affordable, I'd consider it, but even with AMG modifications, it's no BMW. Base X5 drives much better than a modified GLS. It's just not meant to be driven the same way we push our X5s.
      09-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #37
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey there, make sure to come back and post more about the XC90 here and about X5 over at sweedespeed. We would love to hear what you think about XC90. Nobody will frown upon your comments out here!
Congratulations and enjoy the nice Volvo.
Heavily reliance on brand new tech on Volvo is one thing that worries me, otherwise, I think it's a fine looking vehicle that rides well and feels premium. Q7 looks will grow on most people, give it another year or so, sure the last gen looked a bit better, but the interior sort of makes you forget how it looks on the outside. I passed on the GLS450/550 because it feels big, heavy, boaty and to be honest way too flashy for my taste, especially for the price. If the AMG model was a bit more affordable, I'd consider it, but even with AMG modifications, it's no BMW. Base X5 drives much better than a modified GLS. It's just not meant to be driven the same way we push our X5s.
Hi there...appreciate your congratulations and will post back with more substantive comments after I drive the car myself. Have it in for hand controls install and get it back tomorrow.

Totally agree on the Q7 cockpit, they did a nice job with it and it does make you forget about the exterior while inside. The GLS 550 was at 98k msrp and probably could have been had for high 80's before tax/fees from the convo I had with the SA. This was a lot 2017 model but never got to the negotiation stage as wife felt it was too big...insert manhood joke here.

First real drive was up to CT on the Merritt to visit my parents this past weekend and wife's feedback was that "you can't take the corners at 80 like the BMW." Succinct and depressing all at once but will post more this weekend after some seat time of my own.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wife's feedback was that "you can't take the corners at 80 like the BMW." Succinct and depressing all at once but will post more this weekend after some seat time of my own.
Ouch, that's one thing I ask when people go from X5 to other SUVs.

Can it corners like BMW? In fact, on my daily drive, as I dip into the curve at 50mph, I wonder to myself, will I be able to drive like this on my next SUV? When people say "it's fun to drive" you don't necessarily have to be driving like a maniac, cutting everyone off, criss crossing lanes. It's actually little joys like not having to slow down to take that on ramp or knowing that it will still be level when you have to swerve around that guy who decided to slow down in center lane-- that makes you appreciate a vehicle's capabilities. Not sure if she really means business when she says 80, but yeah, I get it.

Thanks again!
      09-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #39
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The siblings for now
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hyde488.00
      09-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #40
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
The siblings for now
stop teasing, take her out
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #41
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

What kind of discount off MSRP did you get on the XC90? Our X5 lease ends in March and the XC90 is one I'm considering given the third row and what I've heard to be decent pricing/incentives.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #42
BMWBIASED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge000 View Post
Quote:

What kind of discount off MSRP did you get on the XC90? Our X5 lease ends in March and the XC90 is one I'm considering given the third row and what I've heard to be decent pricing/incentives.
Total discount after incentives and negotiations was 15%. Conquest and Costco rebates were available at the time, but I was told if I was willing to lease there would be additional credits. We purchased.

It was a 2017 on the lot at another dealer in close proximity and the SA we were working with jumped at the opportunity to make the deal.

If you're in the NY/NJ/CT area, drop me a private message and I'd be happy to give you my SA's info.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Total discount after incentives and negotiations was 15%. Conquest and Costco rebates were available at the time, but I was told if I was willing to lease there would be additional credits. We purchased.

It was a 2017 on the lot at another dealer in close proximity and the SA we were working with jumped at the opportunity to make the deal.

If you're in the NY/NJ/CT area, drop me a private message and I'd be happy to give you my SA's info.
Amazing deal! Congrats.
      09-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #44
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

Wow, I wonder what it's like for a 2018? I'm still a few months away from needing to get serious, but I may come back and hit you up. I'm in PA, so NY/NJ/CT is possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0