BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Siri read my email/text

This worked for me last week while driving and iphone is connected by BT. I pressed the talk button on the steering wheel and said "siri read my email".

This week when I do the same siri says "sorry me (Im me) I can't do that while you are in the car.

A few days ago I had to bring it into the bmw dealer and they hooked up their computer which they diagnosed a faulty left front PDC (parking) sensor.

Several weeks ago after I installed the invisihitch okee from codemycar.com recoded some bonus features for me besides the one that zooms the camera onto the hitch ball.

So my question is before I call okee and ask him . . . everything he coded in key fob: opening trunk, side mirrors fold in when holding the bmw logo longer, no more welcome screen to turn off each time I get into car. All those features still work fine.

Is it possible when the bmw dealer connected the computer up the altered the coding and the ability to press the button on the wheel and ask siri to read my email that they may have changed the coding since it worked before I brought it in for the service.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
My '17 with no coding yet does the same thing. What is weird to me is I can get Siri to send a text while driving, but not read a text while driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
My '17 with no coding yet does the same thing. What is weird to me is I can get Siri to send a text while driving, but not read a text while driving.
Thx for that reply. I've read other posts hear and siri is supposed to work as it did for me last week. I have to bring my x5 back to dealer as Im still getting a PDC malfunction even though they replaced a faulty left front one a few days ago.

while im there I'll ask one of the genius customer reps that are supposed to know everything as to how the vehicles electronics work.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Enrico 35d
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 35d

Your iPhone will know ( learn ) when you are driving . Through repetition it will know where you work by the route used to get there daily. Because of this Siri refuses to read email or texts while driving. It doesn't know you are using the car's handsfree. I think it's an issue with Apple iPhone software and not BMW coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico 35d View Post
Your iPhone will know ( learn ) when you are driving . Through repetition it will know where you work by the route used to get there daily. Because of this Siri refuses to read email or texts while driving. It doesn't know you are using the car's handsfree. I think it's an issue with Apple iPhone software and not BMW coding.
Thx, I hope the genius's can figure it out! Weird how it worked one week and not the next.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Strange. For the hell of it today I said "siri read my new emails" while driving and it worked

Update: its been working past few days. Spoke to the genius (thats what they call them) rep at my dealership. He was not very familiar with using siri by the steering wheel button to read/write texts or emails.

He said to expect glitches as apple keeps updating its software and bmw takes time to catch up with their updates. He said as a poster above suggested that its probably an apple/bmw software issue.

He said another bmw update is coming and he will notify me when its out. He said I can either bring it in or just use a usb stick to update the software myself.

Last edited by expidia; 06-14-2017 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0