07-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #45
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
watch this video

there is really a lot to think about when getting a piece like this; how much of the content is actually Swiss, where is the case made, is the case and dial as well finished as an Omega or an IWC both near or a thousand or so more expensive.

in a way a piece like this is a better purchase for a watch know-it-all that knows exactly how it compares and this grade of movements use in other watches both cheaper and more expensive.

the thing with chronographs and moon phase is that those features lose their usefulness rather quickly. however, no doubt this chrono-moon-phase is a very pretty piece, though you need t see how it looks on your wrist.

there are a few other watches, some a little more expensive that you might want to check out before finalizing a purchase - but they won't have as many functions.

IWC mark viii pilot watch
rolex datejust o jubiilee bracelet

I personally like the watch and it would be fun, but not sure I could do the purchase - maybe if I had a collection, but if I just wanted one watch I'd probably do an IWC pilot.
That's the model I bought for my dad's Fathers Day He likes moonphase as a complication and stumbled upon this watch and bought it.
It doesn't look underdog when put side by side Rolex Daytona 116506 ,it's around 42 mm , wears as big as Rolex Sky Dweller 42 mm.
I love Longines as a brand more than Omega but fit and finish in Omega is much better per se there's no screws but push in links in Longines which I find so cheap whereas in Omega you get proper screws that would enhance the watch , little details but I pay attention to these
Longines in the past was almost equal to Patek Philippe , Audermars Piguet whereas today it doesn't have the same image it did .
I can verify that my grandfather's Longines is definitely is superb quality
Attached Images

07-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #46
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That is a beauty, and it looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree if Dad loved it.

For the OP, however, I'd bring up that many of us in our later years (let's just call it the second half) have poor vision for close-up stuff. I find that I don't appreciate complications that I need to put on reading glasses to really use. Some will still want these superb complexities, but better to sort that out beforehand - plenty of fantastic watches that are also visually simpler (just to get his personal preference, not to invoke the debate over 'cluttered vs. complex').
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #47
Wildswood
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Odessey

A wooden watch will be perfect for him if he likes natural stuffs. Recommend Wilds Wood Watch. Https://wildswood.com
Appreciate 0