BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #1
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

ACC / DCC Toggle Coding

Hi folks - I suspect this may have been discussed in here at some point but I couldn't find an F15 thread so thought I'd add it here for anyone else interested in this option. I have a 2015 X5 35d M Sport with ACC. I have to say, I generally like ACC and the way it works (although the distances Settings 1-4 are for many circumstances too long IMO - I know this is a controversial adjustment for many for safety reasons but I suspect I'd do it if I could). I've also added TJA (traffic jam assist) with a module in the steering wheel as my wheel isn't a touch sensitive one - it's wonderful to have in heavy traffic - doesn't work so well at higher speeds (yes, I coded higher KPH limit) but quite good < 60 KPH. In any case, there are also times when I'd rather not have ACC and use DCC (Dynamic Cruise Control - a misnomer in my mind but that's what BMW calls the standard CC). The ability to switch between ACC and DCC is an option that has been available to Euro customers for quite some time - perhaps more recently in NA (2017+??). The coding is quite simple with E-sys as follows:

ICM>3000 Daten>C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC (=Change ACC to DCC)

default is set for "unterdrueckt" (not allowed), can be changed to "zugelassen" (allowed)

This now allows you switch back to regular cruise via holding the top DISTANCE button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds. If you don't have TJA then you may be able to use either distance button. You can switch back using the same method at any time. My car defaults to ACC when the car has been turned off which is the way I'd prefer it - some might like to lose ACC all together - I don't have a solution to that. Bimmercode may also allow this but I am not sure as I've hardly used it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
bigrose66
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 X5 xDrive50i & 15 550xi

I apologize that I do not have an answer for your question, but a question of my own. I have ACC and I am VERY curious about this Traffic Jam Assist you spoke of? What is that, is it tough to install and how do I get it because it sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrose66 View Post
I apologize that I do not have an answer for your question, but a question of my own. I have ACC and I am VERY curious about this Traffic Jam Assist you spoke of? What is that, is it tough to install and how do I get it because it sounds amazing!
:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=875827
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrose66 View Post
Hey…looks like Red_Y beat me to the punch but the coding stuff is in that post. I purchased a module like what is referred to in the post that is installed in the steering wheel - you need to remove the airbag (easy with M Sport wheel, hell with regular Sport wheel) and then plug in the module between the left buttons and the existing wiring harness…simple. The coding needs to be followed carefully - the eBay seller I purchased from provided quite detailed coding instructions which worked perfectly. I found the coding to change the hex values for maximum speed TJA will work as well…I'd need to search more for that if you are interested and have any trouble finding it. I like it in slow traffic - works great…faster speeds not so much…ACC alone is better. It essentially steers and brakes/accelerates for you (within the limits of the system ). If you're stationary for too long you need to tap the gas pedal or hit the Resume button to get moving again (just like ACC). With the steering wheel module, it alleviates the need to keep a hand on the wheel (although I generally do anyway for safety)…it's nice to not get the warnings to hold the wheel when the system is otherwise doing a good job of driving the car. Factory TJA will require a hand on the wheel which again is a safety issue (like Tesla and other manufacturers with these systems - it's my 'orange stuffed into the steering wheel' .

A little steering wheel icon shows up on the dash and in the HUD along with a modified ACC grid when you engage it and the system finds the lane markers on the highway. When that system loses road keeping (steering) ability, the system provides notice with an annoying warning beep and flashing icons so clearly the cars are set up for this to work with correct coding. You don't need to replace the left steering wheel buttons - the existing ACC buttons get reassigned jobs (the top one cycles through the various ACC distance options now and the lower toggles on TJA). With TJA engaged, you can then use the top ACC button to change the TJA distance.

Also please note that you cannot use TJA if your car has Active Steering as it is a hydraulic system versus the standard electric steering most F15 X5s have which allows for the 'self steering' TJA requires. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Appreciate 2