BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #89
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Folks
If I may kindly interject. You all have a point of view with your own specific facts which may not be interpreted by the other party in the exact same way. So be it. We all have good intentions and to expect perfection is sought. All of you have and hopefully will continue to contribute here with your learned knowledge to share with others. You have all contributed often, I understand that: one has assisted on at least two occasions in amicable resolutions of difference of opines between differing parties , another has assisted in product procurement with big savings, and another has provided coding & cheat sheets and all have spent lots of time sharing advice and most kind compliments to fellow owners when their new F15 arrived. It took us all a long time to get the car, so our time should be spent enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #90
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Folks
If I may kindly interject. You all have a point of view with your own specific facts which may not be interpreted by the other party in the exact same way. So be it. We all have good intentions and to expect perfection is sought. All of you have and hopefully will continue to contribute here with your learned knowledge to share with others. You have all contributed often, I understand that: one has assisted on at least two occasions in amicable resolutions of difference of opines between differing parties , another has assisted in product procurement with big savings, and another has provided coding & cheat sheets and all have spent lots of time sharing advice and most kind compliments to fellow owners when their new F15 arrived. It took us all a long time to get the car, so our time should be spent enjoying it.
Thank you, my friend. Nicely said. I am not here to create any negativity. I apologize to you and everyone if such a misunderstanding arose. As you said, the whole purpose of this forum is to help one another and contribute to the ever growing knowledge regarding our vehicles.
      07-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #91
SF_E60
Negotiator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 (LCI), i3 BEV

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
So after, almost two weeks of back and forth emailing between myself, Dtmhaus, and RaceChip, Racechip says they will not give a refund. My email from Dtmhaus Representative Raul regarding what RaceChip said in order to avoid refunding me:

"1. Installation was not completed right.
2. Installation manual was not read by the installer
3. Parts were removed that did not need to be removed
4. Installation proved to be completed wrong when dummy plug did not revert to OEM settings
5. Parts and wiring harness was tested before shipping with German TUV standards
6. Customer did not supply information on the MAP sensor plug used and we needed to supply the adapter harness."

Honestly, what a garbage company. Not only did they not provide any proper feedback or information for the 5.0i engine, they blamed the lack of this information onto me. Before I even received the product, I had emailed Dtmhaus and RaceChip regarding the installation because they had NO INSTALLATION instructions for the 5.0i. I still read their provided N55 engine manaul (the wrong manual they provide because well, they don't have an N63TU manual or any manual similar that requires to MAP sensor plug ins). I didn't even get to use the chip because of the stupid Drivetrain Malfunction that occurred.

If anyone is interested and wants to give it a try, I have the RaceChip TB Ultimate for the F15 5.0i in mint condition for sale before putting it on Ebay. All I did was install it and it never got utilized, so everything is pretty much brand new. Even the way we did the install was very clean. I'm going to take a $100 hit and sell it for $500 with free shipping. PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your F15, I've been running the same chip you have for 4 months now with no issues. I know 3 other owners that have been running this same chip with no problems. Do you think possibly it was a bad install at all though? I'm no marketing expert but it doesn't help you calling RaceChip garbage and then try to resell their RaceChips on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #92
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_E60 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your F15, I've been running the same chip you have for 4 months now with no issues. I know 3 other owners that have been running this same chip with no problems. Do you think possibly it was a bad install at all though? I'm no marketing expert but it doesn't help you calling RaceChip garbage and then try to resell their RaceChips on here.
Thank you, @SF_E60. You're right. I shouldn't have called them a garbage company. I retract that statement. I just had a bad experience and the chip didn't seem to play well with my car. I had my doubts on the install too when the first drivetrain malfunction occurred, so I made him open it up and double check everything, and it was done correctly; this is why it was very confusing in regards to the errors. I don't want to sell it for so cheap because I didn't even get to use it at all and everything is in mint condition. I wish I could have used the chip and actually gotten the performance benefits out of it like you and others have, but I don't want to risk another malfunction. That whole process was a big headache/complete waste of time.
      07-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #93
SF_E60
Negotiator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you, @SF_E60. You're right. I shouldn't have called them a garbage company. I retract that statement. I just had a bad experience and the chip didn't seem to play well with my car. I had my doubts on the install too when the first drivetrain malfunction occurred, so I made him open it up and double check everything, and it was done correctly; this is why it was very confusing in regards to the errors. I don't want to sell it for so cheap because I didn't even get to use it at all and everything is in mint condition. I wish I could have used the chip and actually gotten the performance benefits out of it like you and others have, but I don't want to risk another malfunction. That whole process was a big headache/complete waste of time.
@Opasha I understand this whole ordeal was a complete waste of time for you. But would you consider giving the chip another chance? The worst that can happen is you trigger another drivetrain malfunction error, you take it to bmw and they clear the code? I'm guessing you are not getting charged since the vehicle is under warranty? I totally understand if this is your daily driver and don't have time to be taking it to the dealer. Its unfortunate that you couldn't get this to work properly on your X5 though. Good Luck with the sale if you end up selling the chip.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #94
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@Opasha I understand this whole ordeal was a complete waste of time for you. But would you consider giving the chip another chance? The worst that can happen is you trigger another drivetrain malfunction error, you take it to bmw and they clear the code? I'm guessing you are not getting charged since the vehicle is under warranty? I totally understand if this is your daily driver and don't have time to be taking it to the dealer. Its unfortunate that you couldn't get this to work properly on your X5 though. Good Luck with the sale if you end up selling the chip.
@SF_E60, I'd really love to have that extra performance especially because others such as yourself have had no issues, but I really don't have the time like you said to take it to BMW in case I get another service error that can't be cleared by coding. It is my daily driver. Yes, it is unfortunate...some of us just get the short end of the stick sometimes . Thank you, buddy .
      08-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #95
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I'm late to the party here but have been running tunes on my turbo'd BMWs for years. Racechip is simply not a player in the N63 arena. The tune sounds like some kind of off the shelf one-fits-all module modified to fit the dual TMAPs on the N63. Nobody in the N54/N55 or N63 community runs this crap.

If you are throwing codes, you are risking losing your warranty should you have some kind of failure. There is no way a Stage 1 TMAP plug in should throw codes.

I would run as far away as you can and consider instead a well researched and tested flash tune like Velos or BurgerTuning's piggy

There is lots of good knowledge at www.n54tech.com
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #96
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@greentrbo95gst, I'd like to formally apologize to you and to RaceChip. It turns out after reading @bluelodge400's recent install of his BMS tune, my mechanic did in fact incorrectly install my tune. He installed into the wrong sensors completely and that level of disassembly was completely unnecessary. However, RaceChip themselves did not negate the incorrect location of the MAF sensors in my pics and explanation, so this further left me confused as to why it did not work. The red wire that we used was in fact the correct wire, which is referred to as the 4720 plug on page 1 of this thread. So, I'm going to give it another go and follow @bluelodge400's instructions and see if the tune works.

A big thank you to @bluelodge400 for his write-up on his BMS Tune 5.0i here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033033

Anyone that is considering any tune for the 5.0i, please follow @bluelodge400's guide to properly install. Thanks .
      09-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #97
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@greentrbo95gst, I'd like to formally apologize to you and to RaceChip. It turns out after reading @bluelodge400's recent install of his BMS tune, my mechanic did in fact incorrectly install my tune. He installed into the wrong sensors completely and that level of disassembly was completely unnecessary. However, RaceChip themselves did not negate the incorrect location of the MAF sensors in my pics and explanation, so this further left me confused as to why it did not work. The red wire that we used was in fact the correct wire, which is referred to as the 4720 plug on page 1 of this thread. So, I'm going to give it another go and follow @bluelodge400's instructions and see if the tune works.

A big thank you to @bluelodge400 for his write-up on his BMS Tune 5.0i here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033033

Anyone that is considering any tune for the 5.0i, please follow @bluelodge400's guide to properly install. Thanks .
Turns out, the other wire is the right wire. The pink one (8720) on first page of this thread. This wire has shorter sockets that plug and securely snap into place with the MAF sensors just like for the BMS tune.

I just finished installing it and it was a breeze. They pink wire harness plugged directly into the MAF sensors on each side and I have zero errors. There is no more throttle delay in Comfort mode or Eco-Pro mode. I didn't get to test on the high-way, but I put it into Sport mode briefly and it's like a monster now.

Here are pics of the install. It's very straightforward. Just like @bluelodge400's BMS install, I just plugged in the driver MAF sensor in, then plugged in the car's MAF sensor wire into the RaceChip's module and did the same on the passenger side before plugging into the tune. Thank you @bluelodge400 .

Last edited by opasha; 09-08-2014 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #98
SF_E60
Negotiator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Turns out, the other wire is the right wire. The pink one (8720) on first page of this thread. This wire has shorter sockets that plug and securely snap into place with the MAF sensors just like for the BMS tune.

I just finished installing it and it was a breeze. They pink wire harness plugged directly into the MAF sensors on each side and I have zero errors. There is no more throttle delay in Comfort mode or Eco-Pro mode. I didn't get to test on the high-way, but I put it into Sport mode briefly and it's like a monster now.

Here are pics of the install. It's very straightforward. Just like @bluelodge400's BMS install, I just plugged in the driver MAF sensor in, then plugged in the car's MAF sensor wire into the RaceChip's module and did the same on the passenger side before plugging into the tune. Thank you @bluelodge400 .

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #99
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Everything works great as it should. The car is MUCH more powerful. However, the CEL (check engine light is back). I opened up the hood and made sure the MAF sensor wires were all secure/connected and they were. Nothing loose anywhere. I then proceeded to use ESYS to "Clear ALL DTCs" and then it went away...I turned off my car...waited a few minutes...turned it back on...the CEL returned. I then did the single Clear DTC option and this cleared it...turned off the car...turned it back on...CEL still there.

Hopefully, this corrects itself because the chip is working as it should with the factory RaceChip tune settings S1=B S2=1. I wonder what could be causing this. The CEL did not come up when I drove the first 20 minutes I got it installed.

Last edited by opasha; 09-08-2014 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #100
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok, so I decided to completely take apart the engine area myself and install the RaceChip via the MAP sensors the way RaceChip designated this tune to be installed. Let me tell you...this is not an easy at all. However, turns out, my mechanic did in fact use the wrong plug (the 4720 - red plug). This plug absolutely does not work and I don't know why it was sent in the first place...I was surprised because there's no way it would have connected to the sensors - no wonder there was a Drivetrain malfucntion. The 8720 plug (pink plug that is shorter) is the right plug that plugs into BOTH the MAP and the MAF sensors. So, I plugged it in and did the whole install myself. I'm about to go drive my car right now and will report back what I find. I also set the RaceChip tune back to factory settings (I never touched S1=1, but I change S2=B back to B from A). Hopefully, this works without errors.

If not, I completely give up and will definitely be selling this chip on ebay for $400. Please excuse my frustrations and give me the benefit of the doubt. I did this install and guide for all of you. I hope it helps. If you are thinking about this chip...I don't recommend it if you want an easy install. Go with BMS for sure. The MAF sensors are so much easier to just plug into than having to remove things to get to the MAP sensors. I feel like I have a mechanic's strong forearms now....can't remember the last time I did a good forearm workout, lol.

UPDATE: I just got back from driving in all 3 modes. The car is again much more powerful (S1=1 and S2=B RaceChip Ultimate TB factory settings) and there are no issues whatsoever. No CEL or any other alerts present. So, the install for RaceChip is definitely using the pink 8720 plug into the MAP sensors in front of the intercoolers. If anyone has any questions or needs any help, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by opasha; 09-12-2014 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #101
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@opasha, woohooo, finally!!!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #102
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@opasha, woohooo, finally!!!
LOL, I know, right?
      09-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #103
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Hi opasha, I just read your thread and boy am I glad you sorted things out. I'm planning on getting a race chip for my e70 diesel and am wondering which one to get. I think that the most expensive one is overkill.. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #104
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Hi opasha, I just read your thread and boy am I glad you sorted things out. I'm planning on getting a race chip for my e70 diesel and am wondering which one to get. I think that the most expensive one is overkill.. What do you think?
Hey Joe,

Yeah, I ended up getting the most expensive one ($769) for $604 including tax/shipping from DTMHaus but they don't give a refund nor will RaceChip if you order from any seller other than RaceChip. If you order and are not sure if you want to keep it, RaceChip website is the way to go. Paul is pretty helpful for the tune settings. I think I misunderstood a lot of things because I did not do the install myself the first time. However, after getting my hands dirty and doing it myself this time, I not only learned more but definitely appreciate what these tunes can do for our cars. I would read about the diesel in this section http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...light=racechip. @greentrbo95gst and @42pilot are great members with information regarding the diesel chips. @42pilot has also tested all but 20 maps of the full 89 maps for his RaceChip. I would ask him which one is the best to buy because I am not at all familiar with the e70 diesel. I wish I could tell you more, but this is also my first time using a chip...it's my first BMW as well. However, I did some research for you and found these two links kind of helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=715884

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883719
      09-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #105
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

wow, reading your post got me all excited. Finally works.
Now go out, find some e70 x5m's and whoop on them.
      09-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #106
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
wow, reading your post got me all excited. Finally works.
Now go out, find some e70 x5m's and whoop on them.
Thank you, my friend. I really am quite happy and feel quite bad for all my negativity in the previous pages. Never again will I let anyone touch my car until I've read through and attempted to fix things myself. Turns out I'm actually really good with figuring things out myself . The members here are far more knowledgeable than BMW and most mechanics regarding our vehicles.
      09-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #107
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Thank you, my friend. I really am quite happy and feel quite bad for all my negativity in the previous pages. Never again will I let anyone touch my car until I've read through and attempted to fix things myself. Turns out I'm actually really good with hands on things after all (orthopedic surgery here I come) ...but all jokes aside, the members here are far more knowledgeable than BMW and most mechanics regarding our vehicles.
lol, well BMW didnt build their cars with the intention of us gearheads modifying them and most "maintenance" mechanics are good at what they do, which is maintenance and not adding performance parts. A lot of good people on the forums so you are in good hands.
      09-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #108
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
lol, well BMW didnt build their cars with the intention of us gearheads modifying them and most "maintenance" mechanics are good at what they do, which is maintenance and not adding performance parts. A lot of good people on the forums so you are in good hands.
True .
      09-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #109
SF_E60
Negotiator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2009 BMW M5  [0.00]
Great news I guess you can consider yourself the "go to guy" for RaceChip installs on F15 . Either way glad you got everything squared away and are enjoying the tune.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #110
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Great news I guess you can consider yourself the "go to guy" for RaceChip installs on F15 . Either way glad you got everything squared away and are enjoying the tune.
Thank you, buddy. I appreciate the comment, but I'm far from the go to guy for anything, lol. I read and learn from everyone's experiences and discuss with fellow members. Every time I thought about having to even touch or remove anything in my engine, I was quite afraid of screwing something up, lol. I'm glad I have a BMW though - never thought I would buy one - I always loved their suspensions but never their interiors - too bland; however, this F15 X5 and the newer BMWs are totally different/impressive. Also, it seems to be able to endure all the mistakes I make and still work great. This is surprising to me since German car maintenance is usually quite expensive/difficult. From the negative and positive experiences everyone in these forums experiences, I learn quite a bit. As funny as this may sound, you guys are a wealth of knowledge, so thank you.