BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #23
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

You also have to remember that even BMW sell cars with Halogen still so Xenon definitely not old tech just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #24
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I added them on my 2014 535 and haven't regretted it for 1 second. I coded them for the variable light distribution on the low beams. This raises the headlights up a tad and moves the left headlight more to the left to lay down a broad beam pattern for your low beams. The anti dazzle is great when running your high beams. On either setting no one is blinded and I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me. Just ordered a 2015 X5D and the wife demanded the LED's in hers after driving my car.
I'm considering this. Aren't there other prerequisites to code for this besides having the LED lights? If I'm not mistaken, the X5 also needs the "Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection" package to code for the European anti-dazzle feature, which also means no fog lights. Or is it the "ACC Stop and Go" option? I would like to hear from someone who has coded this on an X5 in the US. If I plan on coding for this, what are the required options that need to already be on the car to do this?
No, if you order the lighting package, it comes with the high beam assistant. That's all you need to have great coded headlights. The night vision and acc stop and go are separate and work independently of the headlights
      07-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #25
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbix
Comparing LED of F15 to Xenon of M3 E92 I found LED inferior to xenon lights.

LEDs have some dark spots in their beam and even though they are brighter I think they light the road less effectively.

Xenons are not that bright as we are talking about light temperature but to me they give more light and have very uniform beam.

Haven't checked xenons on F15 but the only reason I have LED on my X5 is that I could never stand regular light bulb of the indicators that come with xenons on F15. Come on BMW, it is 2014!
Comparing my 2014 535 LED against my 2012 E70 X5, there's really no comparison. Even my wife noticed a huge difference. That's why she said they're a must have on her 2015 X5D we just ordered. When they're coded their even better. Nice smooth broad beam with even coverage. They aren't cut off too low either. Now our X5 has some hotspots in the beam. I tell ya, I pass xenons all day long and my LED are way brighter in the front of my car than theirs. I'll put money on it.
      07-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #26
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Comparing my 2014 535 LED against my 2012 E70 X5, there's really no comparison. Even my wife noticed a huge difference. That's why she said they're a must have on her 2015 X5D we just ordered. When they're coded their even better. Nice smooth broad beam with even coverage. They aren't cut off too low either. Now our X5 has some hotspots in the beam. I tell ya, I pass xenons all day long and my LED are way brighter in the front of my car than theirs. I'll put money on it.
Agreed. My wife said the same of my 2014 M5 LEDs (same ones) and are included on her 2015 X5D order.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsy View Post
You also have to remember that even BMW sell cars with Halogen still so Xenon definitely not old tech just yet.
I was not gauging technology from a BMW standpoint but in a car industry point of view as a whole... I think BMW only uses halogen on their most basic base model cars.. i.e 328i, 528i..... which I don't understand since Hyundai, Ford, Honda and every other "common" cars use xenons and LED's.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

I'd say its worth it. Definitely regret not getting this option with my X5. I've got adaptive lighting (turns with steering direction and self levels) on my Audi, and I really miss it on my BMW. The standard xenons level only from what I can see.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
I'd say its worth it. Definitely regret not getting this option with my X5. I've got adaptive lighting (turns with steering direction and self levels) on my Audi, and I really miss it on my BMW. The standard xenons level only from what I can see.
I don't know why it only levels on the xenon.. for what its worth.. my previous BMW 5 series swiveled up and down and side to side depending on my steering wheel and the angle of of the car (on a hill). The X5 for some reason only swivels side to side at start up. Perhaps it also goes up and down but it just doesn't do that on start up...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I don't know why it only levels on the xenon.. for what its worth.. my previous BMW 5 series swiveled up and down and side to side depending on my steering wheel and the angle of of the car (on a hill). The X5 for some reason only swivels side to side at start up. Perhaps it also goes up and down but it just doesn't do that on start up...
My X5 only swivels up and down at startup.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #31
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Maybe it is up and down.. I forget I do know that at night I can see my headlights swivel accordingly to the direction I am steering... more so to one side than the other.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #32
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

OK, Now if my car does have the LED lights, do you guys know what is the coding section that needs to be touched, to get the so called (anti dazzle) function. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
OK, Now if my car does have the LED lights, do you guys know what is the coding section that needs to be touched, to get the so called (anti dazzle) function. Thank you.
We had this discussion in the Coding for Adaptive Headlights thread: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1015846

Here's a 6 series thread that talks about the coding for this: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003379. The guy made a video as well.

You can compare that coding to this original coding for our F15 discussed between wdimagineer and other members: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-763557.html
      08-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #34
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Kip1, posted ( may also started that thread) where an evaluation of LED /Xenons by bild German car mag that deemed Xenons better, unsure if it was in all categories.
I think it was in terms of effectiveness ( i.e. brightness and distance)
True, but what made me take the LED´s was:
-When a facelift will come, it is allways the lights, so cool lights age better
-In the Mercedes S-class the LEDs were better than Xenons, they metioned it had something to do also with the hight of the lights. In the test I posted they said the BMW LED's had an extremely strong area in the foreground, but it faded further away, so my theory and experience with both lights made me thik that as the X lights are higher up than the 3-series tested, they just might work better (my theory, no fact)

I think both are good choices, but I wanted adaptive headlights and the price differnce was not that big, it only made sense if I wouldnt have taken the adapative system, which was nt an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #35
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Given how good it enhances the look of the car at night and rids of the ugly amber bulb, led is a must have at this price range vehicles.

I have seen it in different series and its always a sight to behold. At least until I get my car!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #36
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
True, but what made me take the LED´s was:
-When a facelift will come, it is allways the lights, so cool lights age better
-In the Mercedes S-class the LEDs were better than Xenons, they metioned it had something to do also with the hight of the lights. In the test I posted they said the BMW LED's had an extremely strong area in the foreground, but it faded further away, so my theory and experience with both lights made me thik that as the X lights are higher up than the 3-series tested, they just might work better (my theory, no fact)

I think both are good choices, but I wanted adaptive headlights and the price differnce was not that big, it only made sense if I wouldnt have taken the adapative system, which was nt an option for me.
You are thorough, as always your input is insightful. I thought Bi-Xenons were adaptive (meaning lights bend as the car turns whilst traveling at 60km/hr). Also for resale, LED are probably better if not in pricing but for sure in preference over Bi_X. Side note, I am surprised that you are still F25-less.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #37
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
You are thorough, as always your input is insightful. I thought Bi-Xenons were adaptive (meaning lights bend as the car turns whilst traveling at 60km/hr). Also for resale, LED are probably better if not in pricing but for sure in preference over Bi_X. Side note, I am surprised that you are still F25-less.
Adaptive lights where the lights move as you corner are standard for both bi-xenon and LED. The LED lighting package also has automatic high beams and, I believe, what is referred to as "anti-dazzle" functionality.

BMW needs to come up with better descriptions...too much use of "adaptive" and "active" and "dynamic"...features get blurry and hard to follow.
      08-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #38
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Adaptive lights where the lights move as you corner are standard for both bi-xenon and LED. The LED lighting package also has automatic high beams and, I believe, what is referred to as "anti-dazzle" functionality.

BMW needs to come up with better descriptions...too much use of "adaptive" and "active" and "dynamic"...features get blurry and hard to follow.
Thanks DavidTSG, that is what I thought that KIP1 implied, being that the European version of the high beams still functioning but dispersed/split/adjusted when vehicle faces oncoming traffic to prevent blinding the oncoming driver. I understand that this highly desired system requires LED in Europe and is required if someone wants to code the European version in North America. I have LED's without the function and does leave me wanting.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #39
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

I have the LEDs and like them, but, for the money, I'm not sure I would get them again. I'm in the US, and without anti-dazzle, I'm just not sure they are worth the 2K charge. If I was building on a budget, it would be one of the first things I would pull out, that 2K can be spent much better elsewhere (leather dash/design package would be my first upgrades). If I didn't care about the cost, I'd add the LEDs for sure, they are nice, and they really have great visibility on the road. I'm just not sure it's 2K "better" than the stock lights.

Now, add in anti-dazzle so you can have the high beams on all the time? Now I think I'd be much more interested in paying for it. Too bad you have to code to get that in the US; I'm probably going to go down the coding route to enable this functionality and get the full value of the LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #40
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

Quote:
[...] to prevent blinding the oncoming driver. I understand that this highly desired system requires LED in Europe.
No, it does not. It works both with LEDs and with xenons.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #41
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
No, it does not. It works both with LEDs and with xenons.
Last everyone in this thread/other threads checked, you need LED Lighting package to have anti-dazzle feature. The Bi-Xenons aren't auto high beam.
      08-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #42
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Last everyone in this thread/other threads checked, you need LED Lighting package to have anti-dazzle feature. The Bi-Xenons aren't auto high beam.
May be true for the US market, in Europe with Xenon you can also order (as an extra) Fernlicht Assistent (High Beam Assistant) and then you get that feature. With LED package it is already included.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #43
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
May be true for the US market, in Europe with Xenon you can also order (as an extra) Fernlicht Assistent (High Beam Assistant) and then you get that feature. With LED package it is already included.
Ah, I did not know that. That's interesting. I'm guessing this can't be coded and that High Beam Assist package actually ADDS the camera behind the rear view mirror correct? I'm assuming this is necessary for the Xenon HBA to function correctly otherwise it would just be an easy coding for us US members.
      08-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #44
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

2014 For Canada: ZXP Technology Package:

S552A Adaptiver LED - Scheinwerfer ( Adaptive LED headlights ) (aka active headlights)
S5ACA Fernlichtassistent ( High Beam Assistant--'HBA')
S5APA Decodierung blendfr. Fernlicht Assistent (Decode antiglare 'HBA')

So it appears that have Bi-Xenon's also require 5AC as a prerequisite before programing for the so called European style "ani-dazzle" function?
Appreciate 0