11-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
cafemosaic
Rep
Drives: X5 35i 2014, X3 35i 2013

Garage List
2014 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Most first run, especially German, cars have bugs. The E70 was not perfect when it first came out. I'm sure BMW will address the fix. The smart folks buy a BMW in it's LCI iteration. I, unfortunately, am not one of those. I can live with a door seal fix. Engine malfunctions or mechanical issues scare me more.
I knew what i was getting into in a first run vehicle...i can definitely live with the door seal issue, especially given my fantastic local service center and the overall incredible job bmw did with the redesign...i hope everyone has taken my "observation" as constructive criticism and not complaining! i am sure we will have more rattles to report before its over with...hopefully all as minor as this one. i LOVE this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

I was at the dealership yesterday, and noticed this very flimsy door seal. I'm assuming that what's causing it to fold outwards is people exiting from the vehicle and brushing up against it. I'm not sure why this seal is even there at all, since I didn't see it on some of the sedans I looked at. Perhaps it's specific to the soft-close door feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
Genechen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50

Just took delivery of the 50i without soft close doors and the same exact issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #26
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genechen22 View Post
Just took delivery of the 50i without soft close doors and the same exact issue.
Oh, that sucks mega. I can already hear my wife's voice saying....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #27
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

On delivery date at home, my driver side looked exactly like Genechen22( post 25). Yup, my facial changed. I flipped it back in, so far so good. I am sure if continued there will be a fix. Reminds me last year for my F25 delivery date the bottom mould trim jutted out, I simply snapped it in, silly little things.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
On delivery date at home, my driver side looked exactly like Genechen22( post 25). Yup, my facial changed. I flipped it back in, so far so good. I am sure if continued there will be a fix. Reminds me last year for my F25 delivery date the bottom mould trim jutted out, I simply snapped it in, silly little things.
You picked up your new X5 & did not share pics
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

When I asked the dealer about this, I was told that when summer comes around the heat of the sun will "mold" the door seals so they fit properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
When I asked the dealer about this, I was told that when summer comes around the heat of the sun will "mold" the door seals so they fit properly.
Are you serious? They actually said that?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #31
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
I had a good laugh though
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do never underestimate the creative ability of a dealer when a sale is on the line.

I am surprised that BMW hasn't said something about this issue. Don't they monitor boards like this one?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
That statement by your dealer is along the same lines as "these are not the droids you are looking for."
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From the pics above, it looks like this "outer" molding is not the door's primary weather striping (which is attached to the frame along the door's outline and seals when the doors are closed), but rather some sort of cosmetic or noise reduction molding.

If this molding sits in a channel or is attached via a hole/post mechanism, BMW should be able to fix this.

Can anyone confirm how the molding it attached?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #35
Blackwatch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Same problem here. I just pick my car up on Saturday and door seals are already getting jammed in the door.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
From the pics above, it looks like this "outer" molding is not the door's primary weather striping (which is attached to the frame along the door's outline and seals when the doors are closed), but rather some sort of cosmetic or noise reduction molding.

If this molding sits in a channel or is attached via a hole/post mechanism, BMW should be able to fix this.

Correct, it does not seem to be weather-stripping, but probably noise reduction, as I haven't seen this seal on any other BMW. It sits on the outside of the B-pillar, if I remember correctly. I'm guessing that this seal will have to be replaced with something sturdier, and more resistant to being brushed up against when someone exits the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, it does not seem to be weather-stripping, but probably noise reduction, as I haven't seen this seal on any other BMW. It sits on the outside of the B-pillar, if I remember correctly. I'm guessing that this seal will have to be replaced with something sturdier, and more resistant to being brushed up against when someone exits the vehicle.
Ok good info thanks. If I had to guess, I would say BMW added this molding as part of their fuel efficiency/drag coefficient improvements for the F15 .... probably to reduce air/wind "jetties" from sneaking in between the seams ... just a guess ...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

It would be interesting to see if these seals are actually being pushed out by someone exiting the vehicle, or if they are coming out by some other means (improper adhesive, pressure from the soft-close door mechanism).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Just came back from the LA Auto Show. They had a Sparkling Brown Metallic Luxury Line xDrive 50i there. Checked out the outer seal and it was coming apart (should've taken a photo, but I forgot). Approximately 2-3 mm of the seal edge that was attached via adhesive was coming loose. I'm not sure if the whole seal is attached via adhesive or there are intermittent parts that are attached with some other method (ie. plastic clips), but the area in question was definitely coming loose.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

My door seal popped out today. Hopefully BMW has a service bulletin right quick.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #41
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

According to my dealer, the official word from BMW is that some X5s did have this problem, but none of the vehicles which have been shipped recently do. Not sure what changes were allegedly made, but this does not seem to be consistent with reports of recently-purchased vehicles having defective seals. It would be nice to have some way of figuring out which X5s on the lot have this problem. I repeatedly opened and closed all four doors on the X5 I almost bought today, and none of the seals popped out. They do look very thin, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I haven't had any door seal issues on my 2011 X5 M. What I do have an issue with is this little piece of rubber that runs along the bottom of the door and the richer panel when open.

They are loosely out on and every time I clean the car, blow dry with leaf blower they come flying off.

Even if my foot gently rubs against it they come off.

Already on my 2nd set from dealer and owned car since August.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #43
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
I haven't had any door seal issues on my 2011 X5 M. What I do have an issue with is this little piece of rubber that runs along the bottom of the door and the richer panel when open.

They are loosely out on and every time I clean the car, blow dry with leaf blower they come flying off.

Even if my foot gently rubs against it they come off.

Already on my 2nd set from dealer and owned car since August.

Get a 3rd set. Or try to glue it yourself. If the car's still under warranty have the dealer fix it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
AresM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

Came out on me today. I have been trying to keep an eye on it, but I missed it this time. Co-worker pointed it out from inside the office. I don't think it is really that big of a deal, but it looks like crap with it sticking out with the door shut. I also get the "That is why I don't buy BMW" from the co-worker.
Appreciate 0