BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2024, 05:55 PM   #1
nicknackks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 X5 2016 F15 X5

2016 F15 vs 2013 E70

I have had my E70 50i for a couple of years and decided to buy a 2016 F15 50i for my wife. We have had it for a couple months and I like it more than my E70 so far but I do have some questions that I am hoping someone on the forums might be able to help with.

I had never noticed on my E70 until I started driving the F15, but I have to press the pedal about .75" before I start getting any power. On the F15 the pedal is much responsive. It's so different that if I drive my car to work and then hers to the store, the muscle memory from pushing the E70 pedal so much further to get it to go causes some aggressive take offs until I get used to it. Is there something wrong with my E70 or did BMW just change the responsiveness? I have checked the pedal position on the E70 with Bimmerlink and it looks like it is picking up the movement before the car starts making power.

My E70 is equipped with HIFI System Professional DSP S677 and the F15 is equipped with Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System S688, but even after tweaking the equalizer settings the bass is just very lacking, the E70 is leaps and bounds more enjoyable when listening to music with heavy bass. Did BMW get rid of the under seat subs on the F15? Is the amplifier possibly defective? I have checked for codes with Bimmerlink and don't have any codes for the HIFI Amplifier or the Headunit. I have searched the F15 forums and it seems the feedback on the Harman\Kardon system is mixed, some people say it is lacking which is consistent with my experience, others say they are happy with it. I assumed it would be at least as good as the Professional system in the E70.

Thanks all,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 11:04 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I think the speakers did not change between the two models. The F15 has underseat woofers as well but they aren't great. One option is to upgrade them to the B&O version, which is slightly better or get Focal Inside, which are much higher excursion and has much tighter bass - but will cost you around $1K or so...

Haven't heard about the pedal issue. It could be BMW decided to make the F15 50i seem faster. LOL. It is a nice trick though....
Appreciate 0