BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Bilstein B6, rear air, lowered vehicles, and Bilstein Customer Support

So I have been reading old threads about the Bilstein B6 shocks, could not find a definite answer to the questions about rear air, and also if suitable for lowered vehicles or not.

I have in the past read that Bilstein won't make a B8 shock for the F15, because the B6 also works for lowered vehicles, but figured it wouldn't hurt to double check. Also, their website claims the rear shocks will only work on vehicles with rear coil springs, but I'm guessing it's just for the EDC versions it won't work.

So I emailed Bilsteins Customer Service, told them I had a rear air, non EDC F15 50i and got the below reply. Please read it and tell me what you think of the reply...

I have the EXACT same year/make/model vehicle with the rear air suspension so this should make it quite easy to respond to as I’ve already done the research for my own vehicle. If you have air on the rear, there is no option to select. We do not make an air strut replacement for the rear of this vehicle, nor a rear airbag replacement. Yes, we do offer that on some vehicles, not this one. The front struts can indeed be replaced (NOT FOR LOWERED APPLICATIONS), but the rears are not an option that can be purchased from us because we simply do not manufacture it. Apologies for the inconvenience but seems like the best course of action is to pick another brand who can better accommodate. If you wish to have the same brand on all four corners, I would reach out to ECS Tuning, FCP Euro or a similar European car retailer for assistance.

Have a great day.

Kind Regards,

(I removed his name)
Technical & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc

I will post my reply to the guy, once I see if any of you look at the reply the same way as I do?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
Recon3D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i, F15 X5 35d, & E60 M5

The interesting part is if you look on FCP they list the B6 shocks as compatible for Standard suspension & 3rd seat row (S4UBA). I'm wanting to get the B6's on all 4 corners but I just don't know if the shocks FCP has listed as compatible will work.

My car: 2015 X5 35d with 3rd row (rear air)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:39 PM   #3
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Can't tell if I am reading and understood either your post or the customer service agent incorrectly, but I am pretty sure they do have rear airbags that work on our car... Attached below are pics of one of the boxes for the bags on mine right now. I don't know about shocks for the rear itself, but bags wise I haven't had any issue since installation, and I am lowered on VTF. If what was suggested in that reply isn't 100% accurate, I would ask FCP or ECS instead.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:46 PM   #4
718_
Rep
Drives: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon3D View Post
The interesting part is if you look on FCP they list the B6 shocks as compatible for Standard suspension & 3rd seat row (S4UBA). I'm wanting to get the B6's on all 4 corners but I just don't know if the shocks FCP has listed as compatible will work.

My car: 2015 X5 35d with 3rd row (rear air)
Although FCP Euro is my go to for parts I find at times there compatibility chart has been incorrect. For instance not too long ago I replaced both thrust arms, I don't have active steering. When I looked up realoem.com they have two separate thrust arms depending on if you don't/do have active steering as one has a rubber mount while other hydraulic mount

When placing my order on FCP part number wise on realoem its for non active steering but it shows here w/ active steering
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ng-31126851692
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Do they make a model designed for air? No.

Can you use the ones they currently make on air? It depends how pick you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #6
Recon3D
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Do they make a model designed for air? No.

Can you use the ones they currently make on air? It depends how pick you are.
My concern is if they would be compatible, I understand its not designed for models with 3rd row (air bags) but I'm just not sure what to expect if I put them on. Would they be too soft or too stiff?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #7
Recon3D
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
Can't tell if I am reading and understood either your post or the customer service agent incorrectly, but I am pretty sure they do have rear airbags that work on our car... Attached below are pics of one of the boxes for the bags on mine right now. I don't know about shocks for the rear itself, but bags wise I haven't had any issue since installation, and I am lowered on VTF. If what was suggested in that reply isn't 100% accurate, I would ask FCP or ECS instead.
I'm just curious if the B6 shocks that are designed for the standard suspension will work on a X5 with the 3rd row option (air bags). I want to upgrade the rear shocks for a little firmer ride, but i don't know what I should expect if I decide to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:15 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
My concern is if they would be compatible, I understand its not designed for models with 3rd row (air bags) but I'm just not sure what to expect if I put them on. Would they be too soft or too stiff?
Well, they would be a lot firmer than the base suspension. Then when the suspension is loaded they would probably work better than the base stock suspension and match increased rate of the higher pressure air bags.

They’d be an odd comparison to the adjustable suspension bc who knows how that would work out.

In short, it’s prolly be fine. But now one can tell you unless they’ve done it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:21 PM   #9
Recon3D
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay so I've found out the answer to this question after some further digging. I managed to find a Bilstein Product Sheet from March 2018 off of google.

The following shocks are interchangeable with the F15 X5 w/ 3rd row seating. So now we know that the B6 rear shocks will work even though bilstein's website says it won't.

Stock shock 33 52 6 867 875 --> Bilstein 24-241670
Stock shock 33 52 6 867 876 --> Bilstein 24-241687
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:23 PM   #10
Recon3D
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Well, they would be a lot firmer than the base suspension. Then when the suspension is loaded they would probably work better than the base stock suspension and match increased rate of the higher pressure air bags.

They’d be an odd comparison to the adjustable suspension bc who knows how that would work out.

In short, it’s prolly be fine. But now one can tell you unless they’ve done it.
Thanks for the reply, I've actually found the answer to this question. I found a Product Sheet & made a post on this. Short answer is they'll work according to bilstein.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #11
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
It's not the bags that's the problem. I was trying to figure out if the shocks would work on lowered vehicles, and they said NO..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #12
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
It's not the bags that's the problem. I was trying to figure out if the shocks would work on lowered vehicles, and they said NO..
Yea that's what I figured--my post was to confirm I'm understanding the context correctly. They might be doing by the book and saying that their products are not applicable, but it doesn't necessarily mean it won't work on our cars. I've seen your replies on previous threads on this and agree with you that there isn't much info on B6s with lowered cars and any info with those on rear bags.

*Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying after this is more or less conjecture, lol.*

As B6s work on lowered cars with rear springs, I don't see how it wouldn't work on the ones with rear bags. The thing here is going to be comfort/overall ride quality since these are stiffer than stock shocks... You can install it, just doesn't mean it will ride great... If it's my time to replace shocks, I might actually just pull the trigger even if it's a used set since I'm feeling like the stock shocks are too soft with my maxed-out VTFs. I'm happy to be a lab rat lol, but I need to get some power mods first haha.
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      01-02-2024, 04:16 PM   #13
Sergei.dm
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I've actually found the answer to this question. I found a Product Sheet & made a post on this. Short answer is they'll work according to bilstein.
Hi! Did you set them?
Appreciate 0