01-09-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
S29UNYGILL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d M Sport

SOS Call System Failure

Hi Everyone.

I am a newbie on this forum.

I bought a X5 F15 2017 plate in Aug-23 (from an Independent garage).
in Nov-23 the car went in for EGR recall, when I collected my X5 at the end of the day I found my GPS wasn't working - the car was stuck in a field somewhere while I was driving. Both the car and the BMW App were completely lost.

Long Story short, I managed to get the Dealership to replace the GPS at with them cover 50% of the cost.

A few weeks later I found a SOS Call System Failure error message on the dash and iDrive. Doing my research on the forum I figured it was the Battery in the Telematics unit which needed replacing.
Before I got round to replacing the battery, the car non-stop activated emergency calls, to the point I wasn't even able to cancel them – these calls were also being activated while the car was parked and locked shortly after returning home.

A day or two later, I got round to taking away the trim panels to replace the batter in the unit under the Shark Fin, which to my surprise I found it to be soaking wet.

I have a friend who works as a AA roadside Engineer who scanned the car and found the faults below - Hopefully my attachments have helped.

I called BMW and spoke to the service manager who confirmed at the time of investigating and replacing the GPS module there was no trace of water. But they will need it in to investigate. Here comes the stinger, I’ve been told it could cost in the region of £1600 – Excluding the Headliner if that’s damaged due to water.

Surely, considering BMW had to remove the Shark Fin to replace the GPS Module, the cause of the water leak would be ‘incorrect/poor bonding of the Shark Fin?

I haven’t driven the car for a couple of days, its going to them tomorrow for 3 days while they investigate – I started the car up but no emergency call was activated. I waited a good 10minutes before I pressed the SOS button myself, but nothing happened. Looks like its completely shorted now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:19 PM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I would say not necessarily. Our X5 is prone to water dripping down into the cabin, and depending on how the vehicle is parked is how it can come down.

It’s usually the front two holes that clog, but it never hurts to check your rear ones too. You can’t miss them, if you open your trunk you’ll see them up top at each side.

I would look around on EBay to see if you can find the antenna and parts. You can find your part number on RealOEM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 11:27 PM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Here’s the antenna. You must remove the shell first as above.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0