BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
alitech
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

12.3 Inch Carplay and Android Auto Upgrade

I desperately need to get carplay and android on my F15. I just cant use their navigation.

Any advice or tips on what to look for when buying screen and MMI upgrade options?

I have seen an MMI which will integrate with the 8.8 inch screen, any gotchas there?

I have also seen some 10 and 12 inch screen upgrade options that have built in carplay and android. They have built in functions and do not require the separate MMi Boxes.

I would love to hear about your experiences with these upgrades. What to look out for and best ways to integrate everything so that original functions are retained and I get carplay and android auto additionally to boot!

I am looking for buying advice, what things I need to consider, why I need to consider them etc. I am going to do the upgrade myself

Based in TX.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Depending on your budget, I'd highly recommend doing the OEM ID6 upgrade. 2nd to that, a MMI box. Personally I'd never put some oversized aftermarket screen in, they just look so out of place.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:28 AM   #3
Boise
Canada
Rep
Drives: X50i M pack

Garage List
Hi,

I did both.

First retrofitted my HU from ID4 to ID5/6 (I prefer using the skin of ID5).

Then I bought and Android 12.3.

Everything is working super well.

HU ID6 from codemybimmer.ca
Android EVO from higimaxnavi.com

Screen size just look perfect compared to my oem 10.25”

You can just save money and replace the Idrive screen with the Android 12.3, CarPlay, Waze, everything works.

Plus it’s a touch screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:53 PM   #4
Reneglect
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5, 2020 Toyota Supra

how does the android compare to the OEM ID5/6?

I have the 10.25 with CarPlay and kinda want the bigger screen but just the bigger screen... all I use is CarPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise View Post
Hi,

I did both.

First retrofitted my HU from ID4 to ID5/6 (I prefer using the skin of ID5).

Then I bought and Android 12.3.

Everything is working super well.

HU ID6 from codemybimmer.ca
Android EVO from higimaxnavi.com

Screen size just look perfect compared to my oem 10.25”

You can just save money and replace the Idrive screen with the Android 12.3, CarPlay, Waze, everything works.

Plus it’s a touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 08:30 PM   #5
MPizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

does touchscreen work for Carplay on the 12.3?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 05:53 AM   #6
Boise
Canada
Rep
Drives: X50i M pack

Garage List
Android comes full equip, it has CarPlay or Android play included.

So either you have the choice EVO or Android for CarPlay but not both at the same time.

Navigation, google play softwares to download, everything is available.

It has a SIM card slot too. So basically it can run as a standalone unit without your phone.

On my current configuration touchscreen works with Android and I use my idrive while using EVO.

As soon as I touch the screen, it switch to Android.

However, I read on hifimaxnavi web that during the order they can setup the touchscreen to be used with EVO and Android with idrive.

I will try to figure out how to use the touchscreen with EVO so it doesn’t auto switch to Android. I ll ask the support, they are very good.

But I am currently very busy working hard to kill my car with flashing and coding. I almost killed my car with a fail BM3 flash because my DME needs a bench unlock and I didn’t check.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 07:21 AM   #7
rcdawgs
Registered
Rep
Drives: X15

I went with an Android 12.3 touchscreen identical to the above post from aliexpress about a month ago and I am more than happy. This thing works flawlessly so far. Has Carplay, Waze, Chrome, Netflix, etc., and integrated into the BMW Bluetooth. It's basically an Android add-on to EVO.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...1AB#nav-review
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 02:27 PM   #8
alitech
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Amazing replies.

Thank you everyone. As I am new to the BMW scene, I want to ensure whatever choices I make are the correct ones and will last as long as the car.

There are a few schools of thought here, first upgrade to ID 5/6 and then add a screen etc.

Well, my main thing is that I will be using it for mostly Android auto. If the ID 5/6 upgrade does not provide android auto, I am inclined to just update the screen if it gives me both carplay and android.

I want to ingrate it as much as possible also so that existing functions continue to work as well.

I would like to ideally get the HUD working with android auto and carplay too, but if thats too much of an ask, I can live with just a screen upgrade.

I would love to hear your experiences with the self installation and also how it is to use on the car. How much integration will happen, will any functions not work? DO I need aux in for audio etc etc?

I would like to ensure I get all the sounds from the screen including sat nav instructions, spotify etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:17 PM   #9
ErikV55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport

Do you need android auto? If not, why not just code in Carplay into existing?
Appreciate 0