BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #1
Mark2389
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Rebuilding Front end, headlight issues

So a few months ago, had an accident in the X5, its a 2015, and putting it back together now. When it was close to finished I connected everything up and had problems with the left headlight. So just to explain what happened. In the accident the whole front was hit and the driver side headlight lens was cracked in the corner, everything on the car worked, it was driven home. All lights and everything worked, no errors shown other than low washer fluid. Didn't want to pay $1000+ for a used headlight since it seemed to work just fine, bought lenses and replaced the driver side lens. Was careful to not touch anything inside and just get the old lens cut out, used compressed air to clean it out and used the oem sealant to put new lens on. Everything looked good till I turned it on.

The Low beam, High beam and turn signals all work fine. The issue is with the parking lamps and drl lamps. I used my launch scanner but didn't really give any explanation, at least to me. I did a test of the left headlight and tried to turn each bulb on with the scanner, the top brow turned on with the scanner and also the orange side marker turned on with the scanner. Tried turning on the angel eyes with the scanner but no response. Tried coding headlight to the recommended spec and then relearn but it aborts the re-learn because of a fault. The car sat with the cracked lens for about 2 months, it was facing the garage and wasn't directly in the rain and there was some condensation inside, even know there's some water spots on either the low or high beam but everything works.

So my understanding is that the brow and side marker because the scanner was able to manually turn them on but probably needs to be re-learned but that fails because of a fault. After some research I saw that its possible the condensation caused some corrosion on the led diodes that light up the angel eyes. I think that they are on the same circuit so maybe just one. The light still worked fine like 2 weeks before removal so maybe the corrosion isn't too bad and can be cleaned off, if not I'll have to look into getting an aftermarket one or used oem. Should this be my only issues? What else could there be to check? I attached any related codes I found.
Name:  Capture4.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  39.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:25 PM   #2
ocbrad1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i, 2020 Tesla 3

Re: Rebuilding Front end, headlight issues

Is the "headlight beam throw adjustment (LWR)" the mechanism that adjusts between low and high-beams on the single-bulb HID headlights? If so, did you figure out how to fix it? My driver's side HID (2016 X5) will engage high-beam but won't revert back to low-beam. The passenger side lights will consistently move between low and high and back again, but to get the driver's side to revert to low-beam, I literally have to hit the top of the housing with my fist to get it to "drop" back into the low-beam configuration. I'm assuming it's some sort of mechanical visor over the top of the beam that filters/allows the high-beam to shine, but my dealer was entirely unhelpful in figuring out how the mechanism works in the hopes of simply lubricating the mechanism to hopefully address the problem. In troubleshooting your issue, did you figure out how the low/high split occurs? And did you fix it?
Appreciate 0