BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #1
ajay.krishan@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Trunk to x5 2014

Hello Team,

My first time asking a question here. I have a 2014 x5 with 144K miles and love the car but ran into an issue with my trunk. It is no longer opening. I hear the latch running when I press the back trunk button but doesn't open. So I've manually had to open using the release string. Here are a few things I've also checked:

1) All fuses seem to be intact and working
2) on Vehicle settings I've reset the trunk opening settings
3) checked for water in the side wells in the trunk

Any thoughts on what could be wrong.

Any help super appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:14 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

It’s likely the struts, as they do the actual work. But worth checking the wiring as you are first. Maybe you can test the ohms in the info itself agains factory specs?
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2024, 12:04 PM   #3
50iXman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
It’s likely the struts, as they do the actual work. But worth checking the wiring as you are first. Maybe you can test the ohms in the info itself agains factory specs?
When you use the string to open the trunk does it open hard or easy? If its super hard or super easy then trunk struts likely worn.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:26 AM   #4
ajay.krishan@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

thank you for the response. yeah it is neither super hard or easy just a little bit of a pull and the trunk opens
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:28 AM   #5
ajay.krishan@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
hmmm sorry am not so technical what is the ohms and how do you reset to factory settings?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:05 PM   #6
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Check for errors. My trunk wouldn’t open/close automatically it would unlatch but had to manually open/close it, ran ISTA showed one error which was for the right side spindle strut so was an easy diagnose in my case. Now if you get errors for both struts could be anything from either strut being bad, bad wiring or faulty tailgate module.

If it ends up being a strut and you plan on DIY keep in mind both ends of the strut are held onto a ball joint by pins and most likely the pins are seized onto the ball joints which was impossible to break loose with just hands. Make sure the strut your replacing is faulty as the locking pins will get damaged when taken off by force.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:12 PM   #7
ajay.krishan@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay.krishan@gmail.com View Post
hmmm sorry am not so technical what is the ohms and how do you reset to factory settings?
thank you for this information. unfortunately I don't have access to ISTA D or P. so not sure if it is the struts. i ordered some replacement struts to DIY and check if that does the trick
Appreciate 0