BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Matte finish on leather Steering Wheel

I am losing that nice matte finish on the X5's steering wheel. I so want to get this back to or close to that factory finish. The sheen is more predominate to the left hand side of the wheel. I'm wondering if the sun has caused this. I've tried the Mothers M-Tech, Autoglym, Sonax and Lexol and none of them are giving me the results I wanted. Today I went and bought 2 sets of products / options from 2 different shops saying that these products will restore the leather wheel to a matte factory finish. Don't know if anyone has had a similar issue and how did you fix it. Have you used these products and if so, what worked.

Option 1: Chemical Guys
a) Nonsense Invisible Super Cleaner - Colourless / Odorless
b) Leather Protectant Serum - Protects / Restores

Option 2: Leatherique
a) Rejuvenator Oil
b) Pristine Clean

Appreciate your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

i'm pretty sure the oils from your hands cause the leather to get shiny.
best bet is to clean it somehow, just not sure whats best.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Be very careful on what you use on a steering wheel. It's easy to rub off the finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Any update here? X5 is wife's car and the m sport steering wheel now has that shiny look. My m4 is only a year newer and still looks almost brand new. Is there a product to rejuvenate or is it sinply replacing the wheel the only option to get that leather feel and look back
      09-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
I've replaced my M6 steering wheel due to this. As much as I try to keep my steering wheel clean, sometimes it's the mechanics at service with oil on their hands that permanently ruin it and sometimes it's the valet people.

My second steering wheel on my M6 has been maintained in factory new condition during the past year and half. I use Swissvax Leather Cleaner and the brush that comes with it. I gently spray and brush the steering wheel and wipe it down with a slightly damp cotton towel. Whenever I detect any change from the factory matte feel, I use this to bring it back. Once it passes a certain point however, it won't be like factory new again.

My X6's M sport steering wheel has become quite glossy in one year from not maintaining it the same way. Still not as bad as some other people's super shiny gloss I often see.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Either just use an all purpose cleaner with a toothbrush (instructions how to do this are all over YouTube) or use a steamcleaner to rinse out all the fat and stop using all these leatherlotions, applying more fat will not solve the problem if you do not clean it properly first
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      09-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
jskyline
Rep
Drives: X5

becareful with the chemical guy steering wheel cleaner. it rubbed off the finish on my m sport steering wheel. There's almost no protective layer on the steering wheel leather. I can't even use water to clean it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskyline View Post
becareful with the chemical guy steering wheel cleaner. it rubbed off the finish on my m sport steering wheel. There's almost no protective layer on the steering wheel leather. I can't even use water to clean it.
Agree 100% with this statement. The M Sport steering wheel on the F15 is extremely fragile.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Swissvax works like a charm on my F85 to return the wheel to matt (seats as well). I can't stand the oiled look.

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

On my previous cars, I used a steam cleaner and wiped down with a microfiber on the leather seats and steering wheel, really opens up the pores and gets all that dirt and grime out.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I am losing that nice matte finish on the X5's steering wheel. I so want to get this back to or close to that factory finish. The sheen is more predominate to the left hand side of the wheel. I'm wondering if the sun has caused this. I've tried the Mothers M-Tech, Autoglym, Sonax and Lexol and none of them are giving me the results I wanted. Today I went and bought 2 sets of products / options from 2 different shops saying that these products will restore the leather wheel to a matte factory finish. Don't know if anyone has had a similar issue and how did you fix it. Have you used these products and if so, what worked.

Option 1: Chemical Guys
a) Nonsense Invisible Super Cleaner - Colourless / Odorless
b) Leather Protectant Serum - Protects / Restores

Option 2: Leatherique
a) Rejuvenator Oil
b) Pristine Clean

Appreciate your thoughts.
Tried both and no change in restoring the wheel to its factory finish. I still have a bit of a sheen, not shiny but it's not matte. It's a smooth texture not like the fine sandpaper new look.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Leather masters protection cream works for me. It leaves a matte finish coating that protects the leather but also cleans it. Just have to redo it every couple of months.

Alan
      09-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tried both and no change in restoring the wheel to its factory finish. I still have a bit of a sheen, not shiny but it's not matte. It's a smooth texture not like the fine sandpaper new look.
You have already done irreversible damage to the coating. If if bothers you as much as it did for my M6, buy a new wheel and use SWISSVAX leather cleaner ONLY.

I'll post a photo of my steering wheel a year and half since I replaced it.
I only use Swissvax and never let valets and mechanics touch steering wheel unless I have a cover on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Quote:
You have already done irreversible damage to the coating. If if bothers you as much as it did for my M6, buy a new wheel and use SWISSVAX leather cleaner ONLY.

I only use Swissvax and never let valets and mechanics touch steering wheel unless I have a cover on it.
+1
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #15
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
Quote:

So Do you wear gloves too when you drive?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
So Do you wear gloves too when you drive?
when my hands are dirty and I have no way to wash them yes. I keep two sets of gloves in my car.
most of the time I have clean hands. if there is any sign of perspiration, then I wave my hands in front of the AC vent to dry it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

One more reason to get the alcantara steering wheel...
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #18
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
One more reason to get the alcantara steering wheel...
I agree.
I have seen some alcantara steering wheels that have stayed just like new for many years.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
RDG80M3X575.00
      11-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
ergoyo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

My 2014 msports wheel was shiny as a sausage, and it was driving me crazy.
Read up many threads on how to return to matte, or at least try to, whether it was the Leatherique sun bake option, Leather Masters series of lotions, magic eraser, steam, or hot wet terry towel scrubs, everything.
Decided the leather masters way, starting with its aerosol degreaser (which almost sent me to the ER from inhaling fumes), strong leather cleaner, vital and conditioner. Really, none of this did anything. At the end, the shine had gone just a tad away, but I could start seeing color deterioration in the leather.
Out of desperation, tried magic eraser considering the mixed reviews everywhere, this smoothed the deterioration but killed the dye. And note, I did the eraser passes super soft and smooth. This is definitely not an option either.
Very frustrated now. My wheel looks like crap, and don't think there's a cure for it now, other than tossing it. It could be that sausage looking as it was, the leather was already shot, and nothing could be done. Too much oily hands and who knows what else from the previous owner (I just bought the car this year).
Thought about buying a replacement barebones msports wheel from ebay, etc., but then is it true all my components, buttons, airbag module, etc., transfers over?

Last edited by ergoyo; 11-12-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
My 2014 msports wheel was shiny as a sausage, and it was driving me crazy.
Read up many threads on how to return to matte, or at least try to, whether it was the Leatherique sun bake option, Leather Masters series of lotions, magic eraser, steam, or hot wet terry towel scrubs, everything.
Decided the leather masters way, starting with its aerosol degreaser (which almost sent me to the ER from inhaling fumes), strong leather cleaner, vital and conditioner. Really, none of this did anything. At the end, the shine had gone just a tad away, but I could start seeing color deterioration in the leather.
Out of desperation, tried magic eraser considering the mixed reviews everywhere, this smoothed the deterioration but killed the dye. And note, I did the eraser passes super soft and smooth. This is definitely not an option either.
Very frustrated now. My wheel looks like crap, and don't think there's a cure for it now, other than tossing it. It could be that sausage looking as it was, the leather was already shot, and nothing could be done. Too much oily hands and who knows what else from the previous owner (I just bought the car this year).
Thought about buying a replacement barebones msports wheel from ebay, etc., but then is it true all my components, buttons, airbag module, etc., transfers over? I don't have heating, vibration and I'm looking for Alcantara.
I've tried everything as well. I think we have rubbed the finish away. I seem to think it was the sun that initially did our wheel in. The more I tried to correct it the more rubbing I did with a bunch of stuff that you named. I only have the shiny bit towards upper left side, maybe 1/3rd of the wheel. I heading to the dealership on the weekend. I'll ask if they have a leather guy that can restore it.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've tried everything as well. I think we have rubbed the finish away. I seem to think it was the sun that initially did our wheel in. The more I tried to correct it the more rubbing I did with a bunch of stuff that you named. I only have the shiny bit towards upper left side, maybe 1/3rd of the wheel. I heading to the dealership on the weekend. I'll ask if they have a leather guy that can restore it.
I think for me, it was either the previous owner or the dealership I bought it from that tried too hard to clean the steering wheel. It's quite shiny, but I will either have to live with it or buy the alcantara steering wheel. The problem is, that one REALLY cannot be cleaned. And my wife drives the X5 the most, so you know that goes: make up and lotion galore.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #22
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
I think for me, it was either the previous owner or the dealership I bought it from that tried too hard to clean the steering wheel. It's quite shiny, but I will either have to live with it or buy the alcantara steering wheel. The problem is, that one REALLY cannot be cleaned. And my wife drives the X5 the most, so you know that goes: make up and lotion galore.
Many buttons in my wife's E90 are peeling. It is a good thing, at least she is trying to think about all those lotions and creams. "Look, honey, if your creams do THIS to plastic, imaging what it does to your skin?" Visibly made her think)))

Last edited by artem123; 11-13-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111541.50