BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
nicros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive50i

2017 X5 xDrive50i tuning

Been looking at a load of threads, sites and whatever else I can find about what is the best tuning chip for this engine (n63tu). I have to say it's tough as a lot of the threads go into other engine types or the results are not definitive, or they are quite old. All of which leads me to doubt whether I should spend $600 on a RaceChip ultimate or just not bother.

Does anyone have any current, relevant info about tuning this car and what is worth spending money on or not?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicros View Post
Been looking at a load of threads, sites and whatever else I can find about what is the best tuning chip for this engine (n63tu). I have to say it's tough as a lot of the threads go into other engine types or the results are not definitive, or they are quite old. All of which leads me to doubt whether I should spend $600 on a RaceChip ultimate or just not bother.
"Best" is a floating target. If you have a bit of cash and the time to have a bench/flash/dyno tune, that is "best". However, very few have gone that route. DuSh recently did a bench/flash tune and seems pleased with it. His thread is here.

Most are doing a piggyback, and the vast majority of those are using RC Ultimate. For me, it was the "best" compromise.

Quote:
Does anyone have any current, relevant info about tuning this car and what is worth spending money on or not?
Simply put: Yes, it's worth it. A 30 minute install with basic tools (or an hour if you want it really, really neat like I did) should net you 50hp & 50 ft/lbs to the wheels with setting "C".

Here is a very recent thread about the 50i and RC, including links to a thread with my dyno results. Post #12 has the links to my dyno results.

If you decide to go with a piggyback, contact Ben r33_RGSport for great service and prices.
r33_RGSport12966.00
nicros11.00