BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

MPPK or M-Performance exhaust?

Ok, so I have an x-line. I am debating on if I should go with MPPK or swap out my exhaust for the m-performance exhaust ( I do realize I would have to get the 50i tips and new bumper). I do lease so don't want to spend a ton of money but I really want the throaty note. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Here what I would do.
Instead of MPPK, either goes with BMS Stage 1 or RaceChip Ultimate.
While for MPE, even MPE doesn't give you that throaty note in overall. Only in the cold start, which any muffler will do it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Here what I would do.
While for MPE, even MPE doesn't give you that throaty note in overall. Only in the cold start, which any muffler will do it.
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at old posts on the racechip Ultimate. My concerns are warranty and Being able to put everything back in its place before taking it in for service (could an observant technician detect that this had been installed?)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem14
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Here what I would do.
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at old posts on the racechip Ultimate. My concerns are warranty and Being able to put everything back in its place before taking it in for service (could an observant technician detect that this had been installed?)
No. Not unless you redline the engine all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok. Still researching. Found this from Skalberti.

"To answer your question, yes. BMW installs black boxes in our cars. You sign a sheet being aware of that when you purchase a car. There's a lot if tunes out there that will even erase and clear codes. However that black box is still recording everything. If you have problems with the motor, your BMW dealership will connect to your car and look at the recorded data. So in the end they'll see that the car was running at a higher boost level than what the car was programmed with and know that the car has been tuned. BMW will walk away at that point. I know from personal experience."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

MPPK
Pro:
According to BMW's site, it changes your exhaust note. Maybe you'll be satisfied with it?
Con:
You can't sell the MPPK back.

MPE
Pro:
I think the M Performance exhaust has the right amount of rasp and a deep growl. It sound perfect for me.
Con:
The exhaust is more expensive and will cost you another few hundred dollars extra, since you have to pay or the additional parts. You can make back 50% on the parts when you sell but you'll have to find another X5 with a X-Line.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Still researching. Found this from Skalberti.

"To answer your question, yes. BMW installs black boxes in our cars. You sign a sheet being aware of that when you purchase a car. There's a lot if tunes out there that will even erase and clear codes. However that black box is still recording everything. If you have problems with the motor, your BMW dealership will connect to your car and look at the recorded data. So in the end they'll see that the car was running at a higher boost level than what the car was programmed with and know that the car has been tuned. BMW will walk away at that point. I know from personal experience."
That's why I said if you are red lining your car all the time.
Because by doing that, you will log in a higher maximum boost than stock. While regular drive, you just bringing the boost in earlier.
Also, BMW won't look into it unless you have some sort of damage in the engine.
Even that, they still have to proof that indeed higher boost is the part that causes the damage to the engine, not because of their penny pinching material quality, or miscalibration on their end, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

If your number one goal is a throatier exhaust note, why even mess with/consider a tune? I'd go MPE, especially given how it sounds from the recently posted vids.
      05-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
If your number one goal is a throatier exhaust note, why even mess with/consider a tune? I'd go MPE, especially given how it sounds from the recently posted vids.
This is true, however as Ben said I think most of these videos are at start up. I am not sure how the exhaust sounds after it warms up?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
JDoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:
This is true, however as Ben said I think most of these videos are at start up. I am not sure how the exhaust sounds after it warms up?
The video I posted in the MPE video thread is from a warm car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Doanster
Major
Rep

Maybe try removing the resonator and see if an x-pipe will work? I'm not sure how stringent lease turn-in inspections are, but you'd be able to put things back to stock, just that they can see/tell that you modified it at one point.
Only reason I suggest it is because it's so cheap to try compared to the MPE.
If your budget allows for the MPE though, I'd just do things right and go for it.
      05-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoc
Quote:
Quote:
The video I posted in the MPE video thread is from a warm car.
Even in a warm car, it still have the wastegate closes for a few seconds (10-15 secs) before it open up at idle.
Try to start the car and look at the rpm, even when the car is warm, the rpm would be above 1000 for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Doanster
Major
Rep

I think what he meant was that the vids he posted with the GoPro mounted on the back was while he was driving/car was already warmed up and there was still a noticeable rumble/burble compared to stock.
Definitely do understand what you are talking about wrt cold start. My C (with x-pipe) sounds like a C63 in the morning... for about 30secs. Then it remembers that it's only a sheep, not a wolf.